Gaming PC for SL (Thoughts on the build)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello there a few months ago i started saving up for my new gaming computer. However the only cheapest route i can go with is for the graphics is integrated graphics along with a high end processor.

The Graphics i am going with is AMD Ryzen Vega Graphics Will these graphics work to run SL better I know the settings will be low to medium like my Macbook Pro was but upgrading is what i am doing to be able to use SL properly. The Generation of the graphics for this build is DDR3 or DDR6 I'm not for sure which ones are better since this is a cheaper route and is like my current computer build but the graphics chip is no longer working properly to maintain and neither is the motherboard.

I plan on upgrading to a graphics card that will work with the mother board i have no idea what the rest of the build is besides the graphics part.

An AMD Ryzen APU is a wise choice, as you can run SL and play games on a PC without a GPU. That is, IF your motherboard has a built-in monitor socket, which most of the Ryzen AM4 socket motherboards (B550 or X570 chipsets) do.

The performance of a Ryzen APU is acceptable for 720p or 1080p gaming. At a later date when (if?) stock and prices of GPU's have normalised again, you can buy a graphics card, such as a Nvidia RTX 3000 series GPU which have GDDR6 or GDDR6X (faster!) VRAM (video RAM) built into them.

AMD make and sell Ryzen APU's of varying prices and performance for an AM4 socket motherboard; the 5300G (4 cores), 5600G (6 cores) or 5700G (8 cores).  There are also newer "GE" versions of these APU's, they use electricity more efficiently (35W TDP vs 65W TDP) which results in cheaper electricity bills.

However. there is a drawback with these Ryzen APU's - they only support up to PCI Express 3.0 hardware, not the faster and higher capacity 4.0 found in standard Ryzen 5000 series CPU's.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen

It's been our experience testing that while Ryzen APU's can render SL, it's far from a pleasant experience. The 1% lows can rapidly crush the frame rate down to single digits with even moderate complexity.

Building a system around a Ryzen5700G is a great starting off point, but getting a discrete GPU as a follow up purchase has to be part of the plan. The APU is fine for low end gaming, SL might not make full use of a modern GPU but it certainly benefits from running on one.

Gamer's Nexus Ryzen 7 5700G APU Review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8MG66Es2Hw

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 3:38 AM, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Much written, less said: which CPU... Or rather APU are you getting? Ryzen 5700G?

And you might want to re-read an explanation about the DDR types. Hint: we only just arrived at DDR5 thanks to Alder Lake and the standard these days is DDR 4.

Ryzen 3 Vega is what i am getting i won't know the specs until around thanksgiving because of my friend building it for me around Christmas.

1 hour ago, xxVi3perxx said:

Ryzen 3 Vega is what i am getting i won't know the specs until around thanksgiving because of my friend building it for me around Christmas.

I have a Ryzen 3 vega all in one on the bench across from me .. but I'm missing the correct power connector so it's kinda languished.

Will see if I can rig something up and If I get it booted up will post findings here.

• Like 2

A Ryzen 3200G is not going to get you any kind of fantastic performance. SL uses an antiquated game engine that doesn't utilize all the latest and greatest technology ie. ray tracing etc. However, if your not worried about FPS or being pretty much limited to mid graphics, than the chip should suit you well. Keep in mind though, that an APU is going to utilize your RAM, so make sure you have plenty of it. 

my rig:

cpu: Ryzen 7 3700x

ram: 16 GB of 3200 speed CL 16

gpu: EVGA 660 Ti (its old, but it gets the job done)

your probably going to be getting a B450 or x470 chipset mobo

55 minutes ago, J Canucci said:

A Ryzen 3200G is not going to get you any kind of fantastic performance. SL uses an antiquated game engine that doesn't utilize all the latest and greatest technology ie. ray tracing etc. However, if your not worried about FPS or being pretty much limited to mid graphics, than the chip should suit you well. Keep in mind though, that an APU is going to utilize your RAM, so make sure you have plenty of it. 

my rig:

cpu: Ryzen 7 3700x

ram: 16 GB of 3200 speed CL 16

gpu: EVGA 660 Ti (its old, but it gets the job done)

your probably going to be getting a B450 or x470 chipset mobo

I know it won't be as good like most gaming machines but it is all i can afford or i would be gone a bit longer than i want to be. Eventually i will upgrade the system so this one will be until i can upgrade it to run faster my Ram is 16 GB worth. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.