So what is your motivation?

Teresa Firelight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I have enough Linden bears -- my God, the early ones are so high prim I would need a sim to put them out so I'd rather just visit the Bear Museum (in fact I contributed a few there).

Both the Skelly Bear (that everyone gets) and the Evil bear are only LI of 6 each.  I think I have only one other Linden/Mole bear that is under 15 LI.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, yestothis said:

Back in the day, they had grid-wide Instant messaging. 

@yestothis I don't recall that this was a function that was "grid-wide". I think what they did was used the "island" or region instant message system, and back when there were only a few dozen regions on one continent, this wasn't a chore.

@cinnamon yes, that's an idea, using the mailboxes, assuming they can function like relay radios. The Lindens wouldn't use it as a two-way chatting system, but I think it might work better than the forums or splash screen to put out a notification of something like this Halloween event.

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Both the Skelly Bear (that everyone gets) and the Evil bear are only LI of 6 each.  I think I have only one other Linden/Mole bear that is under 15 LI.  

I am talking about the old Linden bears that are routinely 50-60-100 prims or even 250-300 prims, in the era before mesh or even sculpty. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 12:44 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

This is very much a thorn in SL's side and it's only grown bigger over the years.

The tone in SL has very much shifted, newbies aren't like this. I think the problem is that as the platform and it's users have aged territorial instincts have only grown to the determent of the platform and experience as a whole.

This is a systemic problem and we need a systemic solution, and it will probably be a foul tasting medicine.

Personally, I would start by removing all notions of parcel based privacy. No access lists, no bans, no security orbs. Set the tone that SL is a open world where anything can happen. Sometimes that happening will be a jerk, but I'd bet that more often than not, it would be the kind of fun SL is sorely missing.

We would of course find new ways to carve out and enforce the lost security that would be far more personally engaging.

What's better - The jerk who never managed to do any harm because he was banned, or the jerk who showed up and got his ass handed to him by a group of friends demonstrating and reinforcing a shared social bond.

It's easy to think of disruptive actions in a polarizing light, but when the only outlet to be disruptive is interpersonal & emotional drama, we're all left hiding in our homes terrified of being actually hurt.

(you know you want to .. 🧁)

My rentals do not allow security orbs on the ground or no-access settings. Because people are allowed to deed items to the group so that I don't have to manually do it as I had to before that group function was added, sometimes they deed security orbs and I have to remove them. They are quickly found. I set the group roles so that people cannot set "no access" which is a huge annoyance to your fellow tenants and neighbours.

I also have groups on open to join and land on open to rez on. Some people find that awful and go crazy trying to change that and the orb rule, in which case I tell them there are plenty of other rental companies with those rules; they may cost more, but go to them if that meets your needs.

Most people are decent and do not harass others intentionally. Most people don't rez on other people's lots after joining a group. I wouldn't do this if it didn't work.

The few griefers or tenants with some kind of beef against another tenant simply do not justify changing these settings which are for the overwhelming benefit

But I can't imagine not letting people set individual names in a ban list. They have to, often because of ex-partners with grievances or "friends" who harass them -- the more frequent use case than random griefers or perverts who come calling. They have to be able to eject and ban those people instantly without a conversation or calling me to come running, and they have to be able to type names into the ban list because it can be hard to find and click on an avatar flying around griefing -- and sometimes the system just seems to stall out doing that.

SL is too atomized and people live often in very tight social groups or families  because of fear but also bad experience, and in that setting you simply cannot hope for anything like "a group of friends demonstrating and reinforcing a shared social band." That's too sophisticated for the sociology of SL which contains people with all sorts of backgrounds, cultures, national origins, levels of education, experience, etc.

You can also uncheck "avatars can see me" and be invisible.

I doubt you or any other individual can be the arbiter for what other people's level of insecurity or hurt is, in a number of respects, but then, the bar isn't set by individuals, even very vocal ones in Linden office hours and on the forums. The Lindens with vastly more data than we have set these bars. 

I think Abner Mole has made a very important statement I will quote. Now if only he would realize his Good Neighbour kiosks are deployed as a harassment tool to menace people for all kinds of reasons and make them abandon or sell their land for cheap, often by people with the word "advertisement" in their name  -- not the use intended.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 9:55 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

I have enough Linden bears -- my God, the early ones are so high prim I would need a sim to put them out so I'd rather just visit the Bear Museum (in fact I contributed a few there).

My interest was to ride around and see how people decorated. I figured most people wouldn't want to burn a lot of prims because they wouldn't have them without sacrificing their main house furniture. I'm always fascinated to see how people do with little.

So it was rewarding to see some really innovative deco jobs that didn't ring all the usual chimes with all the usual weekend sale bargains.

I think this proved to me once again, however, how atomized the SL "community" is. The forums regulars, the Lindens, the Moles, some Bellisseria groups, people like me who put an ad for the Trick or Treat in my Mainland newsletter  to customers -- all of this "media" combined cannot reach but a fraction of the population. The Lindens obviously have the forums top "real estate," the splash screen, even direct  email to Premium members -- and even they couldn't turn out a large enough population. I find that worrisome on a number of levels but I don't know how to fix it. Even if every resident volunteered to IM the 10 people immediately around his or her house, that might not achieve much, with different languages, time zones, interest levels. 

The Lindens made a sprawling suburbia, and with the hobbles of no commerce (which incentivizes people tremendously) and no placement of parcels in search, they had to rely on groups -- of which there are only about 100, with only a small percent active.  There might be more participation in activities but first people have to hear about their existence.

If this were RL -- and steadily it will become RL -- and the Lindens had to achieve a RL function like warning people of a governor's COVID lockdown, or issuing an "amber alert" for a missing child or "silver alert" for a missing vulnerable elderly person -- or an attack like 9/11 -- how would they do it? Where is their bullhorn? Their Citizens' app to which every New Yorker seems to be tuned, startling every five minutes from their alert sound which is the banging of pots and pans?

Every island sim has the ability to send pop-up broadcasts to the whole sim population on demand, and the Lindens' regions are like islands for them -- but they'd have to go and manually broadcast from each individual sim -- who has the time?! They used to have a radio relay system for town hall meetings which was interesting; you asked to have a radio put on your land, and then you could hear the town hall meeting. They could leave those radios on each sim and squawk out a message -- but is everybody looking at chat to see it go by? 

Trick or Treat was a test of the "Emergency Broadcast System" in a way (which of course at this stage in history isn't needed in a virtual world), but whether for fun or an emergency, how can it be done? How do you reach every person? How do you even reach some demographic? (All members of all Bellisseria groups).  We all know that people bat away group messages even in groups they voluntarily joined and get freebies from, but I suppose in theory, the Lindens could create an inworld messaging group that everyone was made a member of automatically, which didn't count on their group count. But groups can't hold more than 8,000 people without stalling -- this was proved by the old Concierge group. So they'd have to make hundreds of replicated groups which only slightly reduces their problem of messaging to thousands of "islands".

Lindens use the teleporting space/time as a kind of metro ad that you have to view while teleporting. If you asked me when I arrived what that message said, chances are I couldn't tell you. I tend to put an avatar on the teleport job and look elsewhere in the other window.

I forgot to check how many clicks I got on the four pumpkins I put out, at 3 areas with BBB stamps and one trailer. Oh, well. Some people wrote me thank yous for the pumpkin and the gifts I put out myself, that was nice. I myself only had enough activity to get just the participatory skelly bear (which BTW doesn't come to you automatically -- you have to go fetch it at Ram-something forest. I am working on remembering its name because it is right in my back yard at the Honorary Consul of Titania.

So, from my lips to God's ears. Can it be? November 1 date stamp. Now we have a new coded Bellisseria mailbox system (already crashing from heavy use) (in addition to the "mailboxes" which only control the house and, while on a networked system, can't (yet) function as a public broadcasting system, I imagine. Although the Lindens mailboxes in Brown once began talking and saying Prokofy was a slumlord. But I don't think that was due to a Linden, but more likely a resident taking the mailboxes with their annoying zooming (then) green hand, which used to be available in a giver, and tinkering with their likely open script.

Surely this idea was started before I mentioned the need for it? You couldn't code Bellisseria mailboxes in 14 days, could you? Please tell me this. I've had ideas for the BBB coopted (the honorary consul) but this one falls into the "be careful what you wish for" category.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I forgot to check how many clicks I got on the four pumpkins I put out, at 3 areas with BBB stamps and one trailer. Oh, well. Some people wrote me thank yous for the pumpkin and the gifts I put out myself, that was nice. I myself only had enough activity to get just the participatory skelly bear (which BTW doesn't come to you automatically -- you have to go fetch it at Ram-something forest. I am working on remembering its name because it is right in my back yard at the Honorary Consul of Titania.

So, from my lips to God's ears. Can it be? November 1 date stamp. Now we have a new coded Bellisseria mailbox system (already crashing from heavy use) (in addition to the "mailboxes" which only control the house and, while on a networked system, can't (yet) function as a public broadcasting system, I imagine. Although the Lindens mailboxes in Brown once began talking and saying Prokofy was a slumlord. But I don't think that was due to a Linden, but more likely a resident taking the mailboxes with their annoying zooming (then) green hand, which used to be available in a giver, and tinkering with their likely open script.

Surely this idea was started before I mentioned the need for it? You couldn't code Bellisseria mailboxes in 14 days, could you? Please tell me this. I've had ideas for the BBB coopted (the honorary consul) but this one falls into the "be careful what you wish for" category.

So lovely people are sending thank yous too. 

Wondering if it's Randlesham Forest. I was there just a couple of days ago, it was beautifully decorated, with a tree house, very autumnal and a lovely meeting area for people if they don't already know it's there.  (Although I didn't noticed if there was a vendor giving out bears there may have been - I just enjoyed a hot chocolate with marshmallows.)

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Randelsham Forest/92/125/71

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

So lovely people are sending thank yous too. 

Wondering if it's Randlesham Forest. I was there just a couple of days ago, it was beautifully decorated, with a tree house, very autumnal and a lovely meeting area for people if they don't already know it's there.  (Although I didn't noticed if there was a vendor giving out bears there may have been - I just enjoyed a hot chocolate with marshmallows.)

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Randelsham Forest/92/125/71

Yes there is the bear giver off to the side a bit, you have to hunt around for it. The bears are also at Campwich.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.