Unscheduled maintenance!

Mandy Carbenell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Update - We are continuing to investigate this issue.
Sep 10, 10:32 PDT
Update - We are continuing to investigate this issue.
Sep 10, 10:21 PDT
Investigating - We are currently investigating an issue that is affecting logins, group chat and group voice, teleporting and other Second Life services. Please watch this blog for updates, and thank you for your patience.
Sep 10, 10:11 PDT
Edited by Mandy Carbenell

3 minutes ago, Naru Bellflower said:

Considering they got out of scheduled maint, I'd say it's time to break out the ye ol' sea shanty: 

🎵🎵 99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs in the code. Take one down, patch it around 117 little bugs in the code.

True, and well...it's been ages since I wasn't able to log in so...meh...laundry I guess. Every downside has an upside!

(Sorry, nothing better to do during my lunch break.)

The correct usage of "unscheduled maintenance" is when preventative action is taken based upon operational observations indicating something will wear excessively or break if you let it continue running as-is, or that database is full of records marked for deletion but they system is too busy to perform an expunge.  Or maybe a network node or link was over-loaded or experiencing communications errors.

Off-schedule maintenance would be doing things like engine oil changes early or more frequently than dictated by the schedule, maybe you have nothing more pressing to do.

So, I am thinking something was "running hot" or slow or making noises, etc.  Now, if it already broke, as in is no longer functioning as intended from the perspective of the casual user, then this is a repair,  Corrective action taken to restore proper function after a device or system fails to function.

I have an unmaintained preventative maintenance schedule!  bla bla bla

Oh, we cannot log in.  Is this the result of "maintenance" or is it a symptom of "broken"?

2 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

The correct usage of "unscheduled maintenance" is when preventative action is taken based upon operational observations indicating something will wear excessively or break if you let it continue running as-is, or that database is full of records marked for deletion but they system is too busy to perform an expunge.  Or maybe a network node or link was over-loaded or experiencing communications errors.

Off-schedule maintenance would be doing things like engine oil changes early or more frequently than dictated by the schedule, maybe you have nothing more pressing to do.

So, I am thinking something was "running hot" or slow or making noises, etc.  Now, if it already broke, as in is no longer functioning as intended from the perspective of the casual user, then this is a repair,  Corrective action taken to restore proper function after a device or system fails to function.

I have an unmaintained preventative maintenance schedule!  bla bla bla

Oh, we cannot log in.  Is this the result of "maintenance" or is it a symptom of "broken"?

Correct, Ardy! Basically something came up and the focus of LL remains there for the moment. And it's a good thing because sometimes it's a glitch that was there all along but due to other types of maintenance it popped up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.