Urgent: Accidentally Paid for Premium!

simplemint

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1016 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

As the title suggests, I accidentally paid for a Premium account. I hit "Buy Now" on the Premium page thinking this would bring me to a secondary Pay Pal page where I can see how much currency conversion fees will be, as I typically see. I did not have the intention of purchasing the account, I only wanted to see how much currency conversion fees may be before purchasing. I typically seea  confirmation page before purchasing anything, but not this time. After seeing that no such page popped up, I tried to navigate away as quickly as I can, but the purchase of $99 USD already went through! 

I do not wish to pay for it and want to reverse the fee as quickly as I can. Is there any way of doing this and getting a refund, or I am stuck with the Premium account? I am kicking myself already...

EDIT (to correct the TOS sectino)

4.4 Linden Lab has no obligation to accept returns or provide refunds of any amounts paid for products or services purchased from Linden Lab.

I've answered my own question I suppose, though I have lodged a support ticket to ask anyways. The TOS also mentions something about a discretionary pro-rata refund or credit in certain circumstances, which I would be curious to know more about. 

Edited by simplemint

8 answers to this question

58 minutes ago, simplemint said:

Thanks, Alwin. To be completely honest, I was panicking throughout the payment and was not really registering anything that was happening. Going back through my History now that I have a clearer head, I can see that I did indeed encounter a Cashier page... bad news for me... 

I also see this in the TOS: 4.4 Linden Lab has no obligation to accept returns or provide refunds of any amounts paid for products or services purchased from Linden Lab. Though it also says something about "a discretionary pro-rata refund or credit in certain circumstances", which I would be curious to learn more about.

When I was thinking about a confirmation page, I was more so thinking about the confirmation page given by PayPal itself. I expected to be routed through that way. Previously, I had been able to hit a "Buy Now" button or equivalent, and then was routed to a secondary PayPal page where I then had to make another confirmation before payment was taken. I did not see that page this time around, which I am disappointed about.

An important lesson was learnt today. I've taken care to remove my card from PayPal and stop automatic payments from Tillia so more expensive mistakes won't happen again! At least I can use and enjoy my new Premium account for a year in the event no refund is given. 

contact support with your experience, .. TOS says no, but perhaps a employee says yes  ...worth a try,

• Like 1

Might be just an idea, but the no obligation part could also be about something else entirely, like account D (for dumbhead) doing lots of stupid things while being a premium member, LL gets rid of the account and D comes whining, "But I paid for for premiums!!!11!! nooooo!".

An honest mistake should be a different case.

• Like 1

Call Billing:

Please note that phone support is for billing issues only.  If you're having technical issues, please contact our technical support team.    
Billing support phone numbers
Toll-Free (US/Canada): 800.294.1067
Long-Distance: 703.286.6277
Our Billing team is available from 9am to 5pm EST(6am to 2pm PST), Monday through Friday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

would be my guess as to who to beg for a refund.

Thanks Quistess. It's too bad that they're not open right now, I'd like to ideally do this as quick as possible.

I know a refund might not be possible, but I might as well try. I really thought a confirmation page would pop up, but no such luck on my side. I see payment has already gone through on my PayPal as well...

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

it doés show a confirmation page... the same as when you buy at MP
If you hit "pay" in the cashier it's done.

Thanks, Alwin. To be completely honest, I was panicking throughout the payment and was not really registering anything that was happening. Going back through my History now that I have a clearer head, I can see that I did indeed encounter a Cashier page... bad news for me... 

I also see this in the TOS: 4.4 Linden Lab has no obligation to accept returns or provide refunds of any amounts paid for products or services purchased from Linden Lab. Though it also says something about "a discretionary pro-rata refund or credit in certain circumstances", which I would be curious to learn more about.

When I was thinking about a confirmation page, I was more so thinking about the confirmation page given by PayPal itself. I expected to be routed through that way. Previously, I had been able to hit a "Buy Now" button or equivalent, and then was routed to a secondary PayPal page where I then had to make another confirmation before payment was taken. I did not see that page this time around, which I am disappointed about.

An important lesson was learnt today. I've taken care to remove my card from PayPal and stop automatic payments from Tillia so more expensive mistakes won't happen again! At least I can use and enjoy my new Premium account for a year in the event no refund is given. 

4 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Might be just an idea, but the no obligation part could also be about something else entirely, like account D (for dumbhead) doing lots of stupid things while being a premium member, LL gets rid of the account and D comes whining, "But I paid for for premiums!!!11!! nooooo!".

An honest mistake should be a different case.

I am very thankful to report that an honest mistake was indeed a different case. 

I contacted support today and spoke to a very helpful Linden who processed my refund. It went through immediately - I can see it on my PayPal. My account will also be downgraded. 

If anything, their customer support might have sold me on Premium in the future - this time, on my terms! I’ve learnt my lesson and will be very careful with doing my own currency conversions *beforehand* instead of relying on a secondary PayPal page to show me!

Thank you to everyone for their advice. 

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1016 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.