How to use these BOM and Genus shapes / faces?

Elexis Reinard

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I came across marketplace entries such as this one:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Avenge-Freya-skin-applier-for-Genus-bronze-FREE-shape/19211409

Hiccup, I'm not familiar at all with the Genus / BOM notions that are referred to.

Can somebody share a few pointers to help me use such skin? The idea is to obtain the same face / skin.

I bought the following but something is obviously missing:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Avenge-Freya-skin-applier-for-Genus-bronze-FREE-shape/19211409

I also tried the following

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Shape-Scarlet-Genus-Classic-Face/19004626

But it seems I need to buy a base mesh head / body for these to look like on the pictures; I'm getting shapes & faces that are obviously wrong - see basic avatar (red hair) vs that Scarlet avatar.

Thanks!

Original "legacy" shape:

image.png.ebcf53c407f0362f46086fe9dddbea32.png

Using the contents of the "Scarlet" pack:

image.png.7249b4266d1fdf215a2b70c164b38c17.png

Edited by Elexis Reinard
wrong url

The names in the product title tell you what head and body they're intended for. So, to get the desired effect, you'd need a Freya body and a Genus head.

The good news is that Genus still has a head for free at their in-world store. 

secondlife://Genus%20Project%20Mainstore/101/128/34

This is the Strong head, and it's slightly different from the Classic head, but in my experience most shapes intended for Genus will work okay on it. You'll just have a bigger chin than if you used Classic.

BOM is a setting you can activate on both the head and body that will allow you to add skins the same way you currently do for your classic avatar.

I think you are not using any of the contents right, since the only change is in the default hair. It is only used to control eyebrows these days.

But now that you have probably picked up the Genus head using the link in the post before me, you will wonder how to use it.

The head/face in the ad is maybe using another head, Classic or Babyface. But those are not free, so starting with the free head (Strong) is good. The difference is really not big.

First is a video that takes you through all the tabs on the HUD. Heads Up Display. It controls what you can do with the head. Here is the video: FREE BOM MESH HEAD - GENUS - SECOND LIFE - YouTube

Here is one of several tutorials about how to activate BOM on heads and bodies: Tutorial: Activating Bakes on Mesh on your mesh head and body – Virtual Bloke

Scroll down until you find the Genus head. Scoll further down and find the "Troubleshooting" that will help you with many of the problems ppl run into.

Here is another of his tutorials: Before you go BoM, do this first! – Virtual Bloke

It is a lot to read and watch, because mesh heads are not easy. It is a lot to learn in SL and the learning curve is steep.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 3

The Avenge ad says:

- BOM layers
- 1 eyebrow color
- no brow option
- 2 lipstick tattoos
- 4 hairbase colors (black, brown, blond and red)
- 1 shape

** Standard avatar body skin and appliers for mesh body are available in the store

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**: The standard body skin is not included in the pack you bought. You will need it to get the correct skin below the neck. If you wonder if you will have a mesh body, you can wait a bit. You may need a different skin made for that body.

The BOM layers are not "skins" but head tattoos. You add these over each other. Do not use "wear" that option replaces the tattoo you have on with the new one. You need to add when you use several.

You use the No Brow option if you will use one of the eyebrows included with the Genus head. If not, you wear the tattoo skin base with eyebrows.

When you decided on skin with or without brows, you can add tattoo makeups like the included lipsticks, and the hairbase in the color you want. You take off and add different tattoos until you are satisfied. But the skin base tattoo must always be at the bottom, and you build makeup layers over it. Like in RL, you have on the foundation first.

You can also buy other makeups, but make sure it is for "Genus" and not another head.

Edited by Marianne Little
typos
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear, such troubles!

I have to say this doesn't look like your mesh body (the angular bits look like the SL basic body to me - back of legs, wrist etc).

The only way for me to achieve this "look" would be wearing system socks and pants / underpants.

Or maybe what Lillith said...

I am sure one of the clever forum people can help though!

• Like 1

Well, she never mentioned never mentioned a mesh body or hints that she might have gotten one in the meantime. And the sight in the pic are the old school edges of the system body.

Anyway, it strongly looks as if the third texture of that skin was never added, as I asked... is that one from the offers or something else?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.