How do you get media from other parcels to stop playing on your land?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 hours ago, AtomicShrink said:

I have created a video demonstrating the problem. Hopefully this will explain to everybody what we are experiencing. Because everyone seems to be having a different experience.

First of all you only hear/trigger your nearby Media when you get close enough to it.  The land where  you first hear the movie has ban lines up, ugly yellow ban lines right next to your club.  That is your friends parcel, but not the club land.  I could not start any of the Nearby Media if I stayed within your actual club parcel.  Since I have tried three times now, with both the SL viewer and Firestorm, and with two alts - I don't believe your club members are starting the Media.  You and your friend are the ones close enough to trigger the Shared Media.

The default range for hearing Media source is 40m and 80m.  I think you are within 80 meters of the shared media objects.  I found all the objects you showed in your movie a couple days ago.  I could only start them by camming to them.  If I remained close enough to them with the cam, the sound continued.  I watched the entire yupyup movie last night, with my cam near the movie screen.  Good movie btw.   But if I hit escape and returned the camera to my avatar at the edge of your club next to the ugly yellow ban lines, the movie sound would would stop after about one minute. (I do not know why this sound stops, since I set the rolloff distance to 500m in the SL viewer with Debug settings.)  I don't see why it would then also stop if you and your friend remained in your club, which is far enough away to not trigger the Media. 

Shared Media is legal and part of the SL technology.  You can petition LL to remove Shared Media and Media on a Prim technology from SL, or request they restrict Shared Media to a parcel.  If that was easy to do, they would have already done it.  Shared Media means just that, sharing media with other parcels and avatars.   

OR, you can just ask your patrons that hear the Media sounds, which I think you are triggering by your proximity, to simply TURN OFF THEIR MEDIA.  That is one click on the Media Volume control menu in any viewer.  

That is what every other club that is near Shared Media will ask their patrons to do, if the patrons complain they are hearing two streams.  There is simple NO WAY you can stop your neighbors from enjoying their parcel. 

You have another option - Move to your own private sim, and disable Media for the region. 

Turning auto-play OFF does not seem to stop Shared Media, btw.  That setting is for Parcel Media. I tried auto play on and off, and it made no difference. I still could not trigger Nearby Media with my avatar from within your club parcel boundaries - the same as everyone else here has reported.  There is no disagreement among the posters here.  

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

Apparently it doesn't matter anymore, but there are a couple of sounds in the video that was posted that confuse me. Particularly at 1:27 there's a brief loud buzzing sound that somehow reminds me of an appliance's "cycle complete" alert. I'm not sure if that's sound from the recording environment or audio from the SL viewer, but it's certainly nothing I heard in those Turkish Google search page Shared Media surfaces (from which I never heard anything at all). Also there are occasional faint "tinkling" sounds that I haven't heard myself when visiting the parcel.

I keep trying to convince myself that there's something else going on, besides the infamous "yupyup" movie sound, to account for the epic aggravation that's apparently being caused. (Incidentally, the "yupyup" movie is visible around the other side of the wall that appears when zoomed to the media source.)

I mean, if it's just that movie, a visitor would really have to go out of their way to even hear it, and we've all—the OP most of all—wasted a bunch of time on nothing.

All that said, it would be fine with me if landowners had the option of disabling shared media—and not only sound—emitted outside their parcels (I suppose for viewers attached to cams located within the parcel, regardless of where the associated avatar is located). This would be particularly useful on Mainland, but I'd think it would make it easier for Estate managers to keep the peace, too.

• Like 1

Every single person, whether they visited your place or not, has given you the EXACT same fixes for your issue.  Molly did give you information on filing a Jira which will NOT fix your issue.  

We've seen this before.  A person doesn't like the answer given and suddenly everyone is a monkey, troll, idiot, moron.  It's very childish to stomp your feet and have a tantrum when you don't get your way.   

Will LL someday enable parcels in the way described?  Maybe, maybe not but until then, USE  THE TOOLS AVAILABLE.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

All that said, it would be fine with me if landowners had the option of disabling shared media—and not only sound—emitted outside their parcels (I suppose for viewers attached to cams located within the parcel, regardless of where the associated avatar is located). This would be particularly useful on Mainland, but I'd think it would make it easier for Estate managers to keep the peace, too.

i think there is merit in a parcel control being able to restrict media-on-a-prim to the parcel. It comes up as a request/discussion often enough for it to be considered and I think restricting media to parcel is consistent with restricting other things like chat and sounds

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Your cam distance from the source acts like your avatar for sound sources.  

Yes, this was how certain recordings of the Emerald dev discussions by somebody who obviously wasn't close enough to make them be circumspect in what they said made their way to Youtube, wasn't it? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.