How do you get media from other parcels to stop playing on your land?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have several adjoining lands. I have already restricted sound to my parcel, but there are 2 neighbors with blaring media that will not stop playing. I have sent a support ticket to SL support, but have not received a reply, except for their too busy to answer and will answer when they get to it.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Also, if I. find each item, if I mute it great, but it will not mute it for visitors to my land. That is what perturbs me. I would like to have those nasty sounds permanently blocked from my land, so that visitors may have a good time. 

anyone with real world answers, please advise. 

Here's the answer from a recent thread about the same issue

On 7/4/2021 at 7:48 PM, Jaylinbridges said:

There is nothing your neighbors need to do, and they don't need to turn it off. Media does not go beyond parcel boundaries unless you have picked up their stream by going to their land. 

Go to About Land/ Media and you should see a url in Home Page box, which would be your neighbors YouTube url.  Click Set button and then Clear, and OK.  Now Home Page box should be clear and you should not hear any sounds from Media.

To prevent loading other people's stream in Media, go to Preferences/ Sound & Media.  Set Media auto play to Disabled and uncheck the top two boxes.

You could also use the media filter to block a website Domain.  But if you block YouTube, you won't hear it on your own parcel.

2 hours ago, AtomicShrink said:

Rowan Amore  That only works for me, that does not work for the visitors to my land. I need it to work so that when people come to my land they do not need to listen to this insane noise. 

You cleared anything in the Media Tab in about land?

This seems more likely Shared Media than Parcel Media, so AFAIK changing your own parcel's Media settings won't help. In fact, I don't know how to contain the spread of Shared Media, and thought it was impossible except on a per-viewer basis, but testing just now I discover that a neighboring parcel does not hear my shared media whereas another neighbor does—and I'll be darned if I can figure out the difference. Both parcels are actually one past adjacent (there's a Linden road between me and either of them), and this is all at high altitude, but all the plausible settings seem identical for those "neighboring" parcels. So I'm stumped, but maybe somebody knows how this works.

Uh... this is Shared Media, right?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AtomicShrink said:

I don't know if it is shared media or not. All I know is that it is coming from the inside of someone's house, and it is coming also from three television sets from a boat nearby. 

sounds like the objects are Shared Media (Media-On-A-Prim)

when so then we can't block other people's viewer media control settings, as their media controls settings is their choice, not ours as parcel owner

• Like 1

I always have my media off unless I actually need it.

Media Tab

• Allow Media to Auto-Play: With this enabled, video will play automatically (not recommended).
  • Allow inworld scripts to play media: Will allows scripts to automatically start media (not recommended).
  • Play media attached to other avatars: Enables media attached to other avatars (media on a prim).
  • Enable media filter (increased security): This will let you control what media stream you connect to, allowing you to whitelist or blacklist any media stream. See this page for more information.
    • Manage Media Sites (button): Allows you to edit your whitelist Domains and blacklist Domains by Adding and Removing from either category. More information is here.

As most of the recommendations in my previous post are from LL, they  do not even recommend having media turned to auto play.  I sure don't and never have.  You should show your friends that information.  These specifically then they can black list the neighbors streams.

• Enable media filter (increased security): This will let you control what media stream you connect to, allowing you to whitelist or blacklist any media stream. See this page for more information.
    • Manage Media Sites (button): Allows you to edit your whitelist Domains and blacklist Domains by Adding and Removing from either category. More information is here.

Rowan Amore, it's not just a matter of showing my friends. It's also showing my club visitors. And by the way, we have all media turned off. There is no auto place going on. But, the intrusive sounds keep coming over. That is what I'm trying to relay. I cannot conduct my club in this manner. Honestly, I'm so frustrated that I think I'm just going to leave second life.

7 hours ago, AtomicShrink said:

Rowan Amore, it's not just a matter of showing my friends. It's also showing my club visitors. And by the way, we have all media turned off. There is no auto place going on. But, the intrusive sounds keep coming over. That is what I'm trying to relay. I cannot conduct my club in this manner. Honestly, I'm so frustrated that I think I'm just going to leave second life.

I think Rowan may have been suggesting that the problem for your visitors won't be quite as bad as you anticipate because most visitors will already have media auto-play turned off in their viewers. Before I ramble more about that, though, I'll just mention that it's really hard to try to run a club on Mainland for a bunch of reasons, and this leakage of Shared Media may be one of them. In contrast, an Estate region with a club-supportive manager could intervene and resolve such problems directly and promptly. (In contrast, I'm not even sure Mainland has any policy for doing anything at all about neighboring landowners' Shared Media.)

So maybe it's Mainland you should think of leaving, rather than leaving Second Life altogether. (And I'm a big supporter of Mainland.)

Auto-play in the viewer

"Auto-Play" is an overloaded term in SL, which may be causing confusion. What matters here is Auto Play in the viewer (above) which controls all media to which the viewer is exposed, especially when you can't control Auto Play on the Shared Media surface (below).

177352742_Screenshot2021-07-14041731.thumb.png.1132e1468401f68ea35463388604481e.png

There are historical reasons most people turn off Media Auto-Play in their viewers. (And they definitely should, even though it's really unfortunate, depriving us scripters of much slicker user interface tools.)

Now, if visitors are still being accosted by noise even with Media Auto-Play disabled in their viewers, then what they're hearing is not Media at all. (That's a much simpler problem to solve, but I doubt that's it.)

Meanwhile, I'll spend a little more time sloping around trying to figure out how one neighbor is immune to my Shared Media and another isn't.

[EDIT to add: Upon further investigation, it appears that it was just a weird accident of testing that my cam always moved just far enough from the Shared Media source at exactly the parcel line for the "immune" neighbor. The volume of Shared Media is cam "spatialized", with it falling off gradually as the cam location (not focus) moves away from the source until 80m away where the viewer loses the Shared Media stream altogether. If the viewer's Auto-Play is enabled, the stream continues where it left off when the cam moves back in-range. Note that this range applies vertically, too, so if one were to move a club to a sky build, distant from the neighbors' builds, no Shared Media sounds should intrude.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Thanks 3

You know what color I give up. I don’t think people understand what I’m trying to say. I know how to auto off the media. However, trying to get visitors to do the same as a whole different story. But you know what screw it I give up. None of this is helpful

We know exactly what you mean and are trying to do.  The tools are there.  Use them or don't.  You and neighbors have filed reports.  You've tried to contact the neighbor.  

There is nothing else to do unless LL decides to follow up on your reports.  Nothing else besides moving.

As @Qie Niangaosaid, perhaps mainland isn't the best place for your club.

Sure, I'll be happy to take a look. I just popped over to your lounge in Lamprey and all I'm hearing at the moment is the parcel audio ('land radio") stream, but I haven't checked everywhere and maybe don't know what I'm listening for (or maybe it's a whole different parcel).

29 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Sure, I'll be happy to take a look. I just popped over to your lounge in Lamprey and all I'm hearing at the moment is the parcel audio ('land radio") stream, but I haven't checked everywhere and maybe don't know what I'm listening for (or maybe it's a whole different parcel).

Could have sworn I've said the same as you but I guess you've said it better.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AtomicShrink said:

Rona more what part of this are you not understanding? I have already modified my media settings. It’s the complaints from everybody else that I can’t stand. This is not helpful. Not a second life is helpful. I’m done. I give up.

1. The settings another user chooses to use while at your establishment are not your concern
  2. How Media functions has been described to you repeatedly
  3. If everyone has truly taken the steps needed to prevent an external Media Source from playing for them it is not a Media Source
    1. That is far more likely to be an Audio Source of some sort - usually an object with an embedded sound clip, scripted to play, sometimes on a loop
      1. These can be handled (more or less) by the use of the following Parcel settings: Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel

Beyond all of that (and possibly getting your neighbors to enable that particular setting as well) there is nothing you can really do nor is it your problem - some simply will not take the steps they need to, to reduce such things.

• Like 1

Solar Legion, not helpful also. I have restricted the sound to my parcel. You don't seem to understand that this is still stuff that is playing. Yes somebody in bedded a sound clip to a prism or something or whatever. Here's what's interesting. Even when I turn off all the sounds in Second Life, as I'm flying around, my speakers will just continue to play this *****. And this is what is happening to everyone around.

• Confused 1

Qie Niangao, thank you so much. Let me get you the link to where the sound drama begins.

the drama starts here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bangu/162/235/27

and it goes on an on.

Then it continues 2 minutes after here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lamprey/171/29/35

The attached photos are the intrusive sounds. Now, if you mute your SL all together, 2 minutes later, this horrid sound will continue to play, even though you are muted.  we are running jazz only, our "parcel streaming audio."

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 3.13.16 PM.png

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, AtomicShrink said:

Solar Legion, not helpful also. I have restricted the sound to my parcel. You don't seem to understand that this is still stuff that is playing. Yes somebody in bedded a sound clip to a prism or something or whatever. Here's what's interesting. Even when I turn off all the sounds in Second Life, as I'm flying around, my speakers will just continue to play this *****. And this is what is happening to everyone around.

You do not seem to understand that you cannot ensure that your patrons (all of them) will take any of the necessary measures that they can take and that such is not your concern - at all,

41 minutes ago, AtomicShrink said:

Qie Niangao, thank you so much. Let me get you the link to where the sound drama begins.

the drama starts here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bangu/162/235/27

and it goes on an on.

Then it continues 2 minutes after here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lamprey/171/29/35

The attached photos are the intrusive sounds. Now, if you mute your SL all together, 2 minutes later, this horrid sound will continue to play, even though you are muted.  we are running jazz only, our "parcel streaming audio."

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 3.13.16 PM.png

Shut. Off. All. Media. Auto. Play. On top of this, shut off any and all functions that would allow Media on a Prim to function.

That is the beginning and end of what you can actually do. You might be able to file an Abuse Report as well but the chances of it being acted upon are dependent on who reviews it.

Further, if Second Life is actually entirely muted (Meaning that the Master volume is muted) then the source is not likely to be entirely within Second Life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.