I can't touch some HUDS

DMTLC

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a problem right now where I can't touch my "Necklace", My Gianni body hud my AO etc. I tried thinking about the possible reasons it could be and all I remember was joining a RP that hands you a HUD and ever since I can't touch. I have checked Avatar health and done all the options and still no luck, please help :)

20 answers to this question

Have you tried detaching the RP HUD yet?  That would seem like an obvious first step.  There's a good possibility that much of that HUD is actually a huge transparent prim that covers a lot of your screen.  That may be necessary for it to work, but meanwhile it could block you from being able to click on other HUDs.

The RP is called pandemonium and apparently the HUD cannot be detached and it only attaches when at the sim. But it for sure isn't the transparent prim because I can right click and edit my huds just not touch use them

1 minute ago, DMTLC said:

The RP is called pandemonium and apparently the HUD cannot be detached and it only attaches when at the sim.

Aha.  That sounds like it is temp attached by an Experience. If it's well-scripted, it should auto-detach if you teleport out of the region, but that is not necessarily foolproof.  It might not be detaching.  As sandi recommends, highlight transparent objects to see if there's stuff on the screen that you didn't know was there.

6 minutes ago, DMTLC said:

I can right click and edit my huds just not touch use them

That's a good observation.  If you can edit them, you ought to be able to click activate them too. I assume that you have tried detaching and reattaching them. If their scripts have stalled, that might restart them. You might also try making new copies of the HUDs from the original ones that you stored as backups.

Well after trying to copy stuff and do the other recommended tasks it still doesn't work, but I did equip a different "Necklace" and it seems to work, so I'm guessing that only the stuff i had active when joining the RP sim is now not functional. I must add that I would much prefer to use the stuff I have active

Well, definitely try in a different sim to be sure.  Make sure you have rights to run scripts, (just sayin ;P)

Also, what viewer are u using?  If it is either FS or the default viewer, i can prolly tell u how to get out of experiences.  

Not sure if you tried to see transparent items, and if that showed anything?

If you are in FS, and in a sim where you have rights to run scripts, you can touch your HUDs via your inventory floater.  

Well, if you want me to explain any of all those ideas, lemmie know. :)

I would also try refreshing attachments if it happens in the future - particularly if you have something that won’t come off or won’t work and it’s not been locked by RLV to your knowledge. Sometimes the items we wear fall off in the hand crossing between regions if we teleport, especially if there’s more than one thing attached to the same point. 

• Like 1

Well I already tried the transparent shortcut and I don't see anything wrong.

I tried blocking the experience and nothing changed..

I even went to a sandbox that has it allowed but there is one logo that is like a blue man standing in front of a pyramid, don't know what that means...

And I am in Fs fyi

9 minutes ago, DMTLC said:

It was more of a force log out, basically it told me I have too many scripts and it auto logged me out.

do
  llAttach… scripted_attachment
too many times

detecting overscripted_avatar
  llTeleportHome… 

Oh, oops?

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

do
  llAttach… scripted_attachment
too many times

detecting overscripted_avatar
  llTeleportHome… 

Oh, oops?

Ah, so a punishing script that the landowner has decided to use to enforce his rules about not wearing too many scripted items. That makes some sense in a RP region.  Otherwise, it's a pain in the .....  whatever.  If you really want to go to that region,  all you can do is play by their rules.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DMTLC said:

And that should fix?

Sorry, I was speculating how a landowner could end up griefing visitors, possibly by accident: Imagine that something triggers an attachment-giver to go haywire and start attaching role-play HUDs and/or other script-heavy stuff on a hapless visitor. And another device, intended to protect the region from script lag, detects all those scripts and tells the visitor to get lost. And because SL bugz, maybe teleporting-home our script-heavy visitor sometimes causes a crash, and crashing while teleporting bricks their scripted attachments.

The "fix" (such as it is) was mentioned earlier: to get all your attachment scripts running again you'll need some combination of

1. replacing them with new copies from your inventory, or
  2. redelivering them from their creators' vendor systems, or
  3. setting them to run, and maybe resetting them, or even recompiling them, from the Build/Scripts menu while the attachment is selected.

Option 3 is the quickest, but is only possible with attachments for which you have Modify permission. (Note it's the attachment object that must be modifiable, not the scripts inside.)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.