Fairy Godmother script (trying to figure out how this can be done)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, not sure how this can be done but at my place I have Cinderella and the Fairy Godmother, how can I have particles come from her wand and arch over and down around Cinderella (like the movie)??  I thought about using tiny mesh orbs which could do the job  but would not be as realistic as particles but  I have no idea if particles can even do this?

The particles can be made to move towards a target UUID which would be Cinderella, the arch effect will take some experimenting but I suspect you will have to give them an initial direction to raise them over the avatar and then let them fall under gravity.

Have a look at the wiki page for the particle system for these options

ETA just saw Wulfie's post, I've not seen the movie but if that's the desired effect the tiny spheres could be made to follow a complex path using keyframed motion, and they would have to emit the sparkles,

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

You could maybe try invisible attachments that are scripted to move around the attachment point (perhaps Avatar Center) and leave a trail of particles.

Would using a rotating (llTargetOmega) prim with with a link that emits particles work here? Further enhanced by having the root prim moving up and down relative to its attachment point, and the particle emitting prim moving in and out from the root prim?

Edited by KT Kingsley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Sadly no, the scripted particle system cannot create a spiral or even circular movement.

False. this is exactly what the Omega particle parameter is for, although in my experience it's almost always nicer to use actual omega of the particle emitter prim.

Given the wavy nature of the effect though (you probably don't want an exact spiral) it probably would be better to have a moving particle emitter. and for this effect I would actually use 3 all tied to the same (moving) location:

1. an emitter that drops particles around the prim's current location to create the main spiraling effect
  2. an emitter that drops the falling globs of particles, with a relatively slow burst rate and largeish particles per burst.
  3. an emitter that creates the star shapes. (sort of optional)

I could do that easily enough, but tuning it would be a bit of a pain.

1 hour ago, Quistessa said:

False. this is exactly what the Omega particle parameter is for, although in my experience it's almost always nicer to use actual omega of the particle emitter prim.

Given the wavy nature of the effect though (you probably don't want an exact spiral) it probably would be better to have a moving particle emitter. and for this effect I would actually use 3 all tied to the same (moving) location:

1. an emitter that drops particles around the prim's current location to create the main spiraling effect
  2. an emitter that drops the falling globs of particles, with a relatively slow burst rate and largeish particles per burst.
  3. an emitter that creates the star shapes. (sort of optional)

I could do that easily enough, but tuning it would be a bit of a pain.

PSYS_SRC_OMEGA is an incremental change between each burst of particles. It does not allow you to make individual particles move in a circle, such as following a path around an avatar. What I was trying to say is that you can't create particles like these with LSL, which are what I think OP would want.

But yes, you could combine other things like PRIM_OMEGA or Keyframed Motion or other scripted movement to move the emitter around for a similar effect.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

an extra effect we can get with a particle emitter prim array attached to avatar is that the prims can also project light

i have something similar.  A root prim (worn on pelvis) and 8 linked emitter prims that follow paths round my avatar, projecting star shaped light onto my avatar body

Best way i think would be to rez tiny objects with particles in textures around them  preferable so as not to get them out of control or link to a group like the butterflies use and spin that with LlSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast   and llSetPrimitiveParams I  did this with butterflies you could rez and move with llSetKeyframeMotion the whole group bear in mind rez limits when rezing objects is not far so its better to rez and move . if they are individual you cam have an emitter in each but make sure the have a kill script to delete them after a period of time . Thee is some good spell scripts on MP which might get you nearer .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.