Can't Edit Friend's Objects

Dana Mureaux

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a new renter who has friended me so that I can edit his house so as to make it match up with the docks on my sim. He dutifully put a tick mark in the box next to my name in his Friends list that is supposed to enable me to edit his objects - but I CAN'T edit any of his objects. I can't edit the house (modifiable) he bought and rezzed on the parcel, I can't even edit a simple plywood box he created himself as a test case. He himself is able to edit the house and anything else he rezzes or creates, but not me.

I have never seen this problem before. I keep thinking it has to be something obvious, some detail that we're both missing. I can't think of anything it could be though. Okay, maybe there might be something about that purchased house that's not letting me edit it, but how to explain that I can't even edit an object he created himself? I've edited plenty of other people's objects when they requested that I do so and never had any problems like this.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? It has occurred to me that maybe it's another problem with the Magnum server code, as in the "Wildly Inaccurate Prim Counts" post I made last week. If so, are others having this same problem?

Okay, the parcel he's renting is group-owned land of course, but I'm the group owner and I was wearing my group tag like a good little girl, so that's not it. This is driving me nuts. This man has paid four weeks' rent up front and I'm not able to help him with his house and I feel bad about it, though he is being very gracious about this.

Interesting, did you try another sim in a sandbox to test your theory about the servers if your sim is on Magnum?

Do you have "select only my objects" checked?

Is your tenant on Viewer 2 and did he give you perms correctly (as it is done differently on v2) Did you get the confirmation pop-up saying it had worked?

I assume as it didn`t work on a new prim that its not a case of "locked" prims.

Oh Peewee, thank you so much!

That was the problem: I had checked the "select only my objects" box at some point and then forgotten to uncheck it.

I am SO glad the problem was due to my own fault and not some awful mysterious glitch deep in the server code.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Lindens

Peewee's observation is a true sign of real Resident experience. :)

I've been caught by the same problem before — Dana, despite you setting that option, I agree we should make Select Only My Objects (and related features) more obvious if it's silently blocking you from what you want to get done. This could be a simple first-run notification prompting you to disable it. Especially since even though your friend's objects aren't technically yours, you have been granted the ability to modify them.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 years later...
1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I doubt that the people who were in this thread nine years ago are going to come back to answer, so... up at the top of the viewer, Build - Options.

They were hoping that if they shouted, they would hear?

• Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.