Is SL Getting Slower?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For me, it really depends on the region.  Some regions have no lag at all, then others bring my viewer to a crawl even when there are no avatars in the area.  I notice this very frequently when exploring Bellisseria.  To help combat it, I have all of the interior items in my house set to a rezzer that only rez them when I am within 20 yards.  That furniture serves no purpose when I'm not there anyway.  I also use avatars that are low in script count, and wear outfits that have a low LI.  I think most people at this point, have most avatars automatically not rendered when they get above a certain point regardless. So it is kind of pointless to go all out on outfits.

Edited by Istelathis

I definitely think increasing avi complexity is at least partly the culprit. Ive been dancing and going to events a lot at the Fantasy Faire this year and the scene/sim almost always loads long before the people finish rezzing.

I consciously try to keep my avi complexity around 50-75k and its pretty hard to keep it that low if your just buying stuff from the Marketplace. I see quite a few people over 100k. 5-10 of those people in one place and its no doubt even a decent PC will chug a bit. Give me 500k tris and Ill build you an entire sim with tris to spare!

But to LL credit, I have been in regions with TONS of avis recently. My framerates slowed to a painful crawl, but I never crashed. Not even once!

On 4/29/2021 at 2:44 PM, Damian Glendullen said:

Is Second Life getting slower?

SL always stayed about the same. But that's just because computers became faster so people rezzed out more sh*t. And that cancelled each other out.

I started out in SL on a Pentium 4 computer with a graphics card that was about the size of the palm of my hand. And my frame rate was between 20 to 60.

Then I got a computer with a Core 2 Duo and some Ati Radeon card. Again, my frame rate was about 20 to 60. But that was just because I increased my graphics settings.

And then I got a quad-core i7 with a faster Radeon card. And up went the graphics settings some more. And the frame rate stayed 20 to 60=ish.

And now I'm on a newer quad core i7 with a 1080 Ti and it's anywhere between 20 and 60 (with some spikes to 200+ if I look into the nothingness). With higher graphics settings again too, of course.

821153bdead0f0104a7d1ff3ae013d4e.png.5a1e7e2d61a6fad68742d4c1b92b550f.png

I can imagine, though, if I took this computer back to 2007, the plastic around my DisplayPort cable would probably have melted off because of the ludicrous rate it had to transmit frames.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.