Radios

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm looking for a radio that does one of two things. Can someone help me locate this?

1. Allow different avatars to listen to different channels on the same parcel

and/or

2. Not change my land audio URL and fade as one gets further away from the prim

I have an XRadio and it is great, but it is very prim heavy at 15 LI and years ago I had a radio that would allow different avatars to listen to different streams on the same parcel. However, for the life of me, I cannot find a light LI radio to do either. So, if anyone who can search better than I can, is willing to give me some direction, it is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

1. Allow different avatars to listen to different channels on the same parcel

I don't think it is possible without external link. All radio broadcast linked to parcel URL.

2. Not change my land audio URL and fade as one gets further away from the prim

This is not a radio but mp3 uploaded and played with LSL. Music playing prims fades away when avatar goes away but this scripts plays limited amount of songs and requires upload to SL.

Only thing coming in my mind parcel media changer.. or prim media linked to a music / radio service (example: https://freemusicarchive.org/) so users can select music they want.

Your Xradio actually a prim media service. You can do it your self:

Edited by RunawayBunny
  • Like 1

Thanks, this is helpful. 

As I look at the XRadio a little more carefully, this explains the high prim count. I think I can cover these issues with tenants with a notecard; if they will take the time to read it. 

This way basic streaming sites and Youtube can be handled on the same 1-prim; brilliant. 

Thanks again.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StrongZer0 said:

As I look at the XRadio a little more carefully, this explains the high prim count.

So it's just cosmetic, right? High Land Impact mesh or something? because as you note, it can all be handled in a single prim.

I'd just add that there's another trick to "[a]llow different avatars to listen to different channels on the same parcel" but it specifically does not "fade as one gets further away from the prim": use the PARCEL_MEDIA_COMMAND_AGENT flavor of Parcel Media* with audio streams (works for video streams, too, but one audio or video stream using Parcel Media per avatar per parcel). This is an older approach, from before there was such a thing as Shared Media (aka "Media On A Prim"), but it has the sometimes valuable attribute of always ending precisely at the parcel border and not fading with distance. Shared Media, on the other hand, is notoriously apt to drift across the border into neighboring parcels.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

... another trick to "[a]llow different avatars to listen to different channels on the same parcel" but it specifically does not "fade as one gets further away from the prim"..

I knew I was able to do that a while back. That tricky rabbit had me doubting my memory. lol

4 hours ago, StrongZer0 said:

Thanks, this is helpful. 

As I look at the XRadio a little more carefully, this explains the high prim count. I think I can cover these issues with tenants with a notecard; if they will take the time to read it. 

This way basic streaming sites and Youtube can be handled on the same 1-prim; brilliant. 

Thanks again.

Wouldn't it be easier to allow your tenants to have music rights to each parcel they rent?   Unless you have apartments in a single building. Then I can see that would be impossible.  

Media on a prim is the  way to go for multi channel radios in SL. My radio station has three channels (same content, different bitrates) That can be heard via an HTML5 player on a HUD. Each channel can be accessed vian an icon and they call forth  a mini webpage as seen in the pic:

99879162_KONAStreamHUD.jpg.9be70097eafdd0206e92bafc794215d5.jpg

You can use this approach to make your own multi channel radio using any SL compatible stream (MP3 and OGG) on a HUD or a prim. You will of course need knowledge in building web pages and server pace to host them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Wouldn't it be easier to allow your tenants to have music rights to each parcel they rent?   Unless you have apartments in a single building. Then I can see that would be impossible.  

No, not for what I'm doing. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.