Can I rent out space on my land without being the Estate Manager?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If I want to set homes or stores on my land available to rent out to anyone, do I need to be the estate manager? Or can I do this within a parcel I am renting?

I'm looking at the Casperlet rental system, but the description isn't very clear on how it works.  Am I able to set a designated area (say, 500 meters sq) included as the tenant's rental? Is it preconfigured, or is that something all together separate (for example, installing a security orb to allow them to keep other people out of their home..)

Also, say I give them 100 prims in their rental, are they then able to rez up to 100 prims anywhere on my parcel? Or only in their rented area?

Do I need to have the rights to sub parcel out spaces on my parcel? Or does a tool like Casperlet bypass that need?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

First step: make sure that that your landlord is alright with that concept...

I am looking at land right now but trying to determine what kinds of property I should automatically take off from consideration. If I can only do that on land that gives me Estate Manager rights, then that is the only land I will look at.  If it's possible on other land, then I will enquire once I find land suitable.

14 hours ago, AmethystxMoonstone said:

If I can only do that on land that gives me Estate Manager rights,

being a estate manager is never required to be a landlord.
But if you rent, you have to follow the rules of the owner, you can't just rent and start your own rentals...
If you rent out, you will always be responsible for the payments to the landlord or LL ( if you own mainland or estate regions) ( no renters = you pay)

If i were you i'd learn more about landholdings in SL before you make the jump.

Maybe another consideration is what tenants are sought. I mean, it's likely possible to find somebody willing to pay something for a slice of a shared parcel, with manually enforced Land Impact limits, no dedicated parcel streams, etc., etc. But it's a pretty awful experience for a tenant (and even "stores" were mentioned, for which sharing a parcel would be a big sacrifice unless piggybacking "mall"-style on a bunch of traffic). And it'll be no picnic for the landlord, either, with tenants constantly stepping on each other by accident (or not).

I guess the underlying question is: What value does a tenant get by going through such a sublet arrangement instead of renting directly from the same landowner?

• Like 3

I don't see what you'd gain from this either. The renters are basically just going to cover the cost of the extra you're renting in order to have renters... if you're lucky and manage to keep renters constantly. Unless it's your dream job to rent to people, it's a lot of hassle.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.