More then 10 avatars in sim have trouble fully loading

OofyOwyOOF

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1186 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all, I've recently started being social and exploring other sims, but it seems that when I join, other avatars have trouble completely loading.. Such as missing faces, some textures / limbs t-posing kind of thing. I've been messing with my settings and it seems having the quality around high usually works, as having it at ultra just lags the clients.
For other avatars taking a bit to load, what would be the problem?
And how about turning my quality up? It just lags my client despite having 32 GBs of ram, would I need to relocate some ram or?

assuming nothing is wrong with our hardware or internet connection then is usually that the asset servers are lagging a little bit when this happens

have noticed that this for me is a little more problematic sometimes recently, and I think it has to do with Linden still bedding in on the new AWS  platform

by sometimes recently I mean that as Linden get into it then things improve. Like for a while my Marketplace purchases were taking ages to deliver and I just had to be patient. Then about 4 days ago I started to get them as fast as I used too. So yay for that

and I notice now that when I log in to a busy place then my own avatar takes a while to appear, a while more than it used too. So have to be patient about this as well now, til Linden get on to it. Which in my experience they usually do as soon as they can

11 hours ago, Mollymews said:

[...} have noticed that this for me is a little more problematic sometimes recently, and I think it has to do with Linden still bedding in on the new AWS  platform [...]

Of course we can't be sure what the reason is but I think it has nothing to do with AWS. What is described here only started happening to me when I updated the viewer to an EEP release.

[EDIT] It's been better for me lately, though, maybe for a month or so. Anyway, seeing avatars in bits in crowded/laggy places has been a common thing since mesh parts were introduced.

Edited by MBeatrix
adding more info

11 hours ago, MBeatrix said:

Of course we can't be sure what the reason is but I think it has nothing to do with AWS. What is described here only started happening to me when I updated the viewer to an EEP release.

[EDIT] It's been better for me lately, though, maybe for a month or so. Anyway, seeing avatars in bits in crowded/laggy places has been a common thing since mesh parts were introduced.

Yea, I'm not too sure if it's cause I updated to the latest version of Firestorm, but.. yea, it takes a bit to load in for myself and other avatars when I'm in a sim with about 10-20 people.
Avatars are just in bits and pieces for me too, and they usually stay like that with small changes occurring for maybe ever couple of seconds. Slow but it is very slowly getting there? I think in roughly a hour everything will load in, but we'll see. I usually tried closing my viewer or leaving and entering the sim but it doesn't seem to do much if anything.

8 minutes ago, OofyOwyOOF said:

Yea, I'm not too sure if it's cause I updated to the latest version of Firestorm, but.. yea, it takes a bit to load in for myself and other avatars when I'm in a sim with about 10-20 people.
Avatars are just in bits and pieces for me too, and they usually stay like that with small changes occurring for maybe ever couple of seconds. Slow but it is very slowly getting there? I think in roughly a hour everything will load in, but we'll see. I usually tried closing my viewer or leaving and entering the sim but it doesn't seem to do much if anything.

My issue was (and still is a bit) seeing avatars as orange clouds for a while, including my own. As I said, it got better... I mean, better once the viewer cache got repopulated and I updated the graphics driver. But mesh avatars in bits it's "normal", and has been like that since mesh body parts were introduced, as I said. So it's nothing to be worried about, really.

I usually only have avatars fully rendered if they are in my contacts list, all others are jellies or I don't even see them at all, depending on where I am and what I'm doing there.

I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that upon logging in, the mesh parts of my avatar have consistently started to take up to 30 seconds to move into position where it was instant before that.  Everything else is rendered within view, even the textures are on everything I can see, yet my body parts and clothing are hovering around me.  No viewer, driver, hardware, internet or other changes on my side.  I have great hardware, an eye-wateringly fast internet connection, I am not using Windows and yet something has changed.  I log in at the same place (Home) at about the same time each day and there are a maximum of about 2-3 other avatars on the region consistently.  My home region is quite constant and not subject to a lot changing at least within draw distance and so it seems unlikely to be overuse of region resources causing lag.

this is not a server side issue, this is a client side issue.  some advise from an oldbie here,   drop the draw distance down, set the bandwidth no higher than 1500 (there is a bug even in the LL viewer)  and if you want to get finicky like I do about my fps,  turn off shadows and they are not a fun item for fps in SL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

this is not a server side issue, this is a client side issue.  some advise from an oldbie here,   drop the draw distance down, set the bandwidth no higher than 1500 (there is a bug even in the LL viewer)  and if you want to get finicky like I do about my fps,  turn off shadows and they are not a fun item for fps in SL.

If you are answering me, generally I would agree with you but in this situation it cannot be.  I have a Nvidia Geoforce 1080 TI with 11Gb RAM, 32Gb of system ram, a Samsung 1TB SSD and it doesn't matter what I do on the graphics slider, the effect is the same.  The bandwidth is set to 1500.  The viewer configuration didn't change between when this started and before it started.  I may not be a real oldbie but I have been around a pretty long time myself and I am pretty sure this isn't my side.  It feels more like LL's servers are responding much slower sending objects down, not for sending textures, just objects.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

1 minute ago, Gabriele Graves said:

If you are answering me, generally I would agree with you but in this situation it cannot be.  I have a Nvidia Geoforce 1080 TI with 11Gb RAM, 32Gb of system ram, a Samsung 1TB SSD and it doesn't matter what I do on the graphics slider, the effect is the same.  The bandwidth is set to 1500.  The viewer configuration didn't change between when this started and before it started.  I may not be a real oldie but I have been around a pretty long time myself and I am pretty sure this isn't my side.  It feels more like LL's server are responding much slower sending objects down, not textures, just objects.

well it's not aws,  it could be a route between you and aws, or the cdn nodes that LL uses to delivery assets and textures now,  I know the cdn's have been a tiny bit slow as of late too.  

Just now, bigmoe Whitfield said:

well it's not aws,  it could be a route between you and aws, or the cdn nodes that LL uses to delivery assets and textures now,  I know the cdn's have been a tiny bit slow as of late too.  

That I agree with and was about to post that it could be something to do with international speeds/latency between me and the end point.

@bigmoe Whitfield and @Gabriele Graves  One recent issue I helped resolve with my SL partner involved people appearing "in bits" and that turned out to be because my partner habitually puts the PC into sleep rather than shutting it down at night.  Once the PC was shut down and restarted the "avatars in bits" issue went away.  (BTW cache clearance made no difference as did a reinstall).

Also this issue of avatars remaining clouds for longer seems to be related to the advent of EEP in the viewer, but I have noticed that FS 6.4.13 is MUCH better in that regard than 6.4.12, and I must assume that it is at least in part due to the improvements in the LL code used in the latest FS.   While I do use the LL viewer for testing purposes I do not use it much, I cannot abide its UI.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Aishagain said:

@bigmoe Whitfield and @Gabriele Graves  One recent issue I helped resolve with my SL partner involved people appearing "in bits" and that turned out to be because my partner habitually puts the PC into sleep rather than shutting it down at night.  Once the PC was shut down and restarted the "avatars in bits" issue went away.  (BTW cache clearance made no difference as did a reinstall).

That's not the case for me.  This happens between logins when there hasn't been any sleep/shutdown of the PC.  That is interesting to hear though, is your partner on Windows, Mac or Linux?

11 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

drop the draw distance down

Are we ignoring the obvious one that Moe mentioned?  This, draw distance.  The ONLY way I can replicate your complaint is by setting draw distance so that more stuff is being requested by the viewer.  Silly me usually has draw distance set to 64 meters because I am not flying a Bombardier Challenger to another jurisdiction to commit a crime; I am skulking around visiting with other people in a heavily decorated area.  When I do set draw distance to 225 or something, for whatever reason, then return to the built up area, OW.  Yes, time is required to load the THOUSANDS of objects included in the interest list generated by that large radius of inclusion.  Since I am only really interested in and looking at a much smaller area, the time required to load the objects in the march larger area feels like degraded performance compared to my previous visit when I had draw distance set to 64 meters.

If you really push it, the viewer does eventually give up on loading an object.  Wobbling the camera around to force an interest list update can result in the forsaken objects being requested again and subsequently loaded because most everything else is already loaded.

Gamer explanation:

Remember, Second Life Viewers, no matter who publishes them, are area effect weapons.  Use them wisely for less trouble.  They are more effective if the selected area is reduced because the level of the effect at any point in the area is limited by the energy divided by volume times time formula.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Are we ignoring the obvious one that Moe mentioned?  This, draw distance.  The ONLY way I can replicate your complaint is by setting draw distance so that more stuff is being requested by the viewer.  Silly me usually has draw distance set to 64 meters because I am not flying a Bombardier Challenger to another jurisdiction to commit a crime; I am skulking around visiting with other people in a heavily decorated area.  When I do set draw distance to 225 or something, for whatever reason, then return to the built up area, OW.  Yes, time is required to load the THOUSANDS of objects included in the interest list generated by that large radius of inclusion.  Since I am only really interested in and looking at a much smaller area, the time required to load the objects in the march larger area feels like degraded performance compared to my previous visit when I had draw distance set to 64 meters.

If you really push it, the viewer does eventually give up on loading an object.  Wobbling the camera around to force an interest list update can result in the forsaken objects being requested again and subsequently loaded because most everything else is already loaded.

Gamer explanation:

Remember, Second Life Viewers, no matter who publishes them, are area effect weapons.  Use them wisely for less trouble.  They are more effective if the selected area is reduced because the level of the effect at any point in the area is limited by the energy divided by volume times time formula.

Not sure if you are referring to my post or not but if so, nope it isn't draw distance, I mentioned draw distance not affecting it in my post.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1186 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.