Data Breach? - Change Passwords

Steph Catseye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have received a security alert from Google, dated December 16th that there was a data breach at Second Life and my password was compromised in the event.
Obviously I have no way of telling if any of this is even remotely true but seeing posts all across the forum where people had issues logging in around that time and knowing how our Gods in Linden Heaven are not always the most informative bunch I thought I'll bring it up. Those with a google account who have their passwords stored in their browser might be able to verify the situation in an instant. Better safe than sorry.. in this spirit.. stay safe everyone

Hmmm...  I hadn't received any alert though I have a google email account.  It's not showing as a compromised login in the password manager software I use, which does check for compromised sites.   It definitely won't hurt to change your password though, if you were one that did get the security alert message (or even if you didn't, but want to be extra careful).  

34 minutes ago, Steph Catseye said:

I have received a security alert from Google, dated December 16th that there was a data breach at Second Life and my password was compromised in the event.
Obviously I have no way of telling if any of this is even remotely true but seeing posts all across the forum where people had issues logging in around that time and knowing how our Gods in Linden Heaven are not always the most informative bunch I thought I'll bring it up. Those with a google account who have their passwords stored in their browser might be able to verify the situation in an instant. Better safe than sorry.. in this spirit.. stay safe everyone

Sounds more like a phishing scheme to me than a regular alert. IF there is a link to the place where you would change your password OR if you haven't run a virus and malware check lately then I would contact SUPPORT about this before doing anything. Keystroke loggers of old are still very dangerous thing -- a RL friend of mine found that out not too long ago.  Whatever you do, do NOT click on any link in that email. 

IF this is really a problem I am pretty sure we would have heard about it by now since many to most of us have Google accounts (hard not to these days). 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

35 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Sounds more like a phishing scheme to me than a regular alert.

Very true, and some of those are pretty realistic looking these days.  My mom, who is in her 80's, calls me a lot wondering if some email she received is legitimate, and I can't go over to her house in these times to look at them in person, but what I tell her is to never use the links in the email - always log in to the site directly from her saved bookmarks in her web browser.

I get that at certain websites too! Google Chrome will alert you, if the combination of username + password you use on certain websites has been breached somewhere. If you use the exact same login details on multiple websites, it could be any really.

More information about this can be found on https://blog.google/products/chrome/better-password-protections

If you get the notification while logging into Second Life it doesn't mean SL itself has been breached, but the combination of username + password has been breached somewhere and they advice you to update your password wherever you use it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

it usually happens when you sign in from a different device, this is google not sl, i get it all the time on my phone , its because each device has a diff ip adress hence google picks that up and thinks its a attack , in other words a false positive, check your google security settings like it says  look for the device you have if its there take no notice if its a diifferent one then changes your google password it can happenn idf you use vpn as well 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.