Second Life Outages

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Ahh, okay, so it has to do with someone wanting everyone, looking for land or not, to see an ad?

"Google, how many times can I roll my eyes in one day without damaging them?"

Close enough. Their "expected behavior" changed and caused some upset. Said expected behavior being that they were - up until supposedly some time today - able to use the Places category to find their own, paid, rental plot entries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

wut?

What does the 30L$ (that's 30L, not $30) weekly parcel search cost have to do with .. anything? You're actually kvetching about *does the math* 0.1785714285714286L$ lost due to SL being down for an hour? Even if it were 1000 parcels, it's only what 179L? About 75 cents.

Get. A. Grip.

People pay $15.00 a month for MMOs that have a weekly down time of 8 or more hours.

No where does LL promise to have SL up and running 24/7. No where. That they largely do, and with free accounts, makes SL one of the more economical and available pastimes.

I guess you're not getting the issue, dear.

It's about businesses in SL, and apparently you are not in one.

It's not about ONE $30L lot -- but thousands.

I spend probably $18 US per week -- so that's US $72 a month -- on such ads, yes, $30L for one, but multiple them by hundreds. That's a significant business cost for what it is -- US $72 a month. 

It's not about me needing to compare an "MMO" for $15/month. I don't play MMOs. SL isn't a game. It's a small business for me. It's no big deal for my little agency, but it is for many others that rely on search to work. Search IS business, in RL and SL. And now it DOES NOT WORK. The margins are slim in SL -- nobody needs one more sunk cost that now DOES NOT WORK.

I'm surprised you aren't better at math, given your ability (seemingly) to carry out numbers to many, many places.

30L x 1000 = 30,000 in fact. So that's US $120.

Not 179.

I don't know what you're smoking but your assessment of the situation is wrong, and in fact LL does strive to have a 24/7 service and its bills are paid not by free accounts (are you one?) but mainly by businesses and high end users of islands. The end.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Close enough. Their "expected behavior" changed and caused some upset. Said expected behavior being that they were - up until supposedly some time today - able to use the Places category to find their own, paid, rental plot entries.

Well, some people use external services to list the hundreds of options they enjoy for -- oh, never mind.

If those external services were every down, maybe we'd hear this furry howl. Oh, well.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Ahh, okay, so it has to do with someone wanting everyone, looking for land or not, to see an ad?

"Google, how many times can I roll my eyes in one day without damaging them?"

So you do grasp that if this affects searches for land in search/places, which is my little thing, it affects everything else, too?

Like searches for people

Like searches for events.

Obviously you aren't going inworld and looking at this which is why you can remain indifferent/cynical/mocking.

Fortunately for us all, the Lindens are not like the people on the forums, for the most part.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I guess you're not getting the issue, dear.

It's about businesses in SL, and apparently you are not in one.

It's not about ONE $30L lot -- but thousands.

I spend probably $18 US per week -- so that's US $72 a month -- on such ads, yes, $30L for one, but multiple them by hundreds. That's a significant business cost for what it is -- US $72 a month. 

It's not about me needing to compare an "MMO" for $15/month. I don't play MMOs. SL isn't a game. It's a small business for me. It's no big deal for my little agency, but it is for many others that rely on search to work. Search IS business, in RL and SL. And now it DOES NOT WORK. The margins are slim in SL -- nobody needs one more sunk cost that now DOES NOT WORK.

I'm surprised you aren't better at math, given your ability (seemingly) to carry out numbers to many, many places.

30L x 1000 = 30,000 in fact. So that's US $120.

Not 179.

I don't know what you're smoking but your assessment of the situation is wrong, and in fact LL does strive to have a 24/7 service and its bills are paid not by free accounts (are you one?) but mainly by businesses and high end users of islands. The end.

Well dear,

Basic math tells us there are 168 hours in any given week, sweetie.

Those features were down for what? Two or three hours, darling?

Oh honey, 30L divided by 168 equals 0.1785714285714286L$. Not 17 cents. 0.17 of ONE LINDEN DOLLAR. So, "30,000" Linden dollars divided by 168 is what sweetheart?

THEN times 2 or 3.. gosh, still about 2 bucks. If your margin is that slim, cutie pie, you may want to re-think basing your 'business' model on a platform you have no control over.

Tell ya what I ain't smokin.. entitlement crack.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Well dear,

Oh honey, 30L divided by 168 equals 0.1785714285714286L$. Not 17 cents. 0.17 of ONE LINDEN DOLLAR. So, "30,000" Linden dollars divided by 168 is what sweetheart?

THEN times 2 or 3.. gosh, still about 2 bucks. If your margin is that slim, cutie pie, you may want to re-think basing your 'business' model on a platform you have no control over.

He's going on about a whole other thread he dragged into this one about the outage today.  He wasn't getting any love over there.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

He's going on about a whole other thread he dragged into this one about the outage today.  He wasn't getting any love over there.

1 hour ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Well dear,

You don't seem to realize they are STILL DOWN, sweetie pie. Whatever the fix was earlier today for all of SL and its log-ins was broken likely with that very fix. So that's one point -- it's not the few hours that *log-ins* were down but the now many hours that SEARCH is broken -- and knowing how these things work, is likely to REMAIN broken for 3 or more days.

And second, more relevant point, It bills ONCE A WEEK for group land and that billing hour approaches at midnight SL time -- on Tuesdays. That's why it doesn't matter if you are calculating fractions of days and hours out of weeks as the bill is coming NOW for the full week and there is no sense in paying it when SEARCH DOES NOT WORK.

In fact, some clever people may scamper around once a week and take everything out of search, and that way not get billed at all. But that's more work than it's worth for me so I merely adjust it daily to what is still open.

I'll bet you are not in business in SL but get six figures as a programmer somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

You don't seem to realize they are STILL DOWN, sweetie pie. Whatever the fix was earlier today for all of SL and its log-ins was broken likely with that very fix. So that's one point -- it's not the few hours that *log-ins* were down but the now many hours that SEARCH is broken -- and knowing how these things work, is likely to REMAIN broken for 3 or more days.

And second, more relevant point, It bills ONCE A WEEK for group land and that billing hour approaches at midnight SL time -- on Tuesdays. That's why it doesn't matter if you are calculating fractions of days and hours out of weeks as the bill is coming NOW for the full week and there is no sense in paying it when SEARCH DOES NOT WORK.

In fact, some clever people may scamper around once a week and take everything out of search, and that way not get billed at all. But that's more work than it's worth for me so I merely adjust it daily to what is still open.

I'll bet you are not in business in SL but get six figures as a programmer somewhere.

Realistically, how much time is that for you to do? How much is your time worth? $18/week seems to be valuing yourself rather low. You'll eventually have to re-list them so time taken there too. So you lost one day's 'worth'. At $18 that's a loss of (again) $2.50 give or take PER DAY. Now add in the reams of time you've spent kvetching here on the blogrums..

I believe the saying is "Penny wise and pound foolish."

It's like the guy that drives 10 miles away to save 5 cents a gallon on gas.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Realistically, how much time is that for you to do? How much is your time worth? $18/week seems to be valuing yourself rather low. You'll eventually have to re-list them so time taken there too. So you lost one day's 'worth'. At $18 that's a loss of (again) $2.50 give or take PER DAY. Now add in the reams of time you've spent kvetching here on the blogrums..

I believe the saying is "Penny wise and pound foolish."

It's like the guy that drives 10 miles away to save 5 cents a gallon on gas.

Again, you're doing the math wrong. When it bills ONCE A WEEK for group land, you want to avoid that cost which is billed PER WEEK even if the outage will only be 1-3 days as it normall is. To avoid a cost of some US $20, I spent 45 minutes undoing the search ads. So yeah, that's lower than I bill for my RL time but you don't bill for RL in SL, it doesn't work that way.

Seems like you're kvetching more than me, and wasting more time, given that I type faster.

It's the level of insanity for, what amounts to them, $18. (Though if it goes back to working once again, they'd still get some value for that $18.) Far less for most businesses in SL at 30L/per week for one store.

At least 10 hours of their time. 1.5 hours just de-listing and re-listing means they've valued their time at $12/hr. Walls of text of course, are their reason for being.

Further, SL is working just dandy. I'm logged on, sorting stuff on an alt on my mainland. Basic functionality achieved.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.