2.7 Beta Viewer.

Conifer Dada

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While in-world I got a message pop-up stating that the 2.7 Beta viewer is available, so I logged out and downloaded it.

The main feature is that shadows can be enabled easily on the Preferences / Graphics menu instead of playing about with debug settings as before.  I tried this and the shadows appeared nicely.  You can also enable 'depth of field' - that worked too.  Both these caused quite a bit of lag, as might be expected, but shadows should be good for doing SL snapshots.

The viewer also does shadows from local lights but on our computer those functions are greyed out, so I couldn't try them.

The main bug, for me, when shadows are enabled, is that 'shiny' stops working.  

What has anyone else found with Viewer 2.7 Beta?

Hello Conifer. To be honest i didin't know that 2.7 Beta was available so i haven't tried it yet. The new feature with shadows hears interesting although i prefer to have them disabled. Of course both features you reported would be great for snapshots. On the other side last 2 days i am trying the Viewer 2-6-9-230635_ProjectViewer-Search but i can't say that i was impressed with the changes in Search.

Dora Gustafson wrote:

Conifer Dada wrote:

This is the general conception, but take a closer look.

Shiny along with the general rendering is much more natural now

See

The reason for this misconception is that the old shiny made things look like chrome where as the new shiny makes things look shiny. Since the old shiny was only good for one thing, and it drastically changed the color of the object in the process, that's all people used it for. So now when people turn on deferred they see a more subtle shiny that doesn't change the color of the object and things look horribly wrong.

So I know this argument is going to come up again and again over the next 2 years, but fundamentally the old shiny is broken, and limited what you can do. The new shiny is much better but you have to make content with it in mind. If you still want to use the old shiny with deferred on then make the object fullbright.

leliel Mirihi wrote:

Dora Gustafson wrote:

Conifer Dada wrote:

This is the general conception, but take a closer look.

Shiny along with the general rendering is much more natural now

See

The reason for this misconception is that the old shiny made things look like chrome where as the new shiny makes things look shiny. Since the old shiny was only good for one thing, and it drastically changed the color of the object in the process, that's all people used it for. So now when people turn on deferred they see a more subtle shiny that doesn't change the color of the object and things look horribly wrong.

So I know this argument is going to come up again and again over the next 2 years, but fundamentally the old shiny is broken, and limited what you can do. The new shiny is much better but you have to make content with it in mind. If you still want to use the old shiny with deferred on then make the object fullbright.

This response is accurate. I have had to redo textures on products to deal with the "issue". But to me it is mostly a matter of we got away with stuff before but no more. Such as some prim to sculpty tools that will produce nothing but garbage now. The right way is the mesh way going forward. Yes some large amount of content will break. But it was broken to begin with.

No I am not going to replace anything because LL finally unbroke something.

In addition LL had true reflectivity in the viewer years ago and took it out. LL needs to put it back in. IMHO

Ann Otoole wrote:

In addition LL had true reflectivity in the viewer years ago and took it out. LL needs to put it back in. IMHO

We need both actually. The new shiny does proper specular highlights, and rather cheaply at that. Full blown [specular] reflections are a separate feature that we will hopefully get one day, however the performance hit for them is pretty high.

This beta has significant stability issues on MacBook Pro. It is the first time in over 3 years I have experienced a kernel panic because of an application. This viewer did it :matte-motes-dont-cry:

... no high end graphics options turned on above bog standard High setting. 

Someone gave me this link

http://automated-builds-secondlife-com.s3.amazonaws.com/hg/repo/snowstorm_viewer-development/rev/231334/arch/Darwin/installer/SecondLife_2_7_2_231334_DEVELOPMENT.dmg

and said finally I would be able to see shadows on my MacPro with ATI card.

But I just crash as soon as I open the app.

The most recent nightly build, snowstorm_viewer-development (231706), has a change to stop one major startup crash, STORM-1298.. For this crash, the last line in secondlife.log would say "ERROR: LLViewerTextureList::doPreloadImages: ASSERT (mImageList.empty())"

The JIRA report is for a crash on OS X, but it reproduces on other operating systems too, one trigger could be an empty or not yet created settings.xml.

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.