SHADOWS

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4727 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

valerie Inshan wrote:

Anything similar in Snowglobe or SL viewer 1.23?

The instructions are valid for all v1 based viewers from 1.20 and up. Keep in mind that the deferred rendering code in v1 is full of bugs, some times it works, some times it locks your machine up. If you want to see shadows you really should use v2.

I am curious about Shadows in Viewer 2. This photo was taken with Viewer 2 and as you can see "Objects" cast shadows but I do not. :( I was just noticing this the other day that all stationary objects cast shadows but avatars and moving objects do not. i wonder if this is a setting somewhere?

Keli6.JPG

Those "shadows" you see under objects are just prims with a shadowy texture.

To turn on shadows on viewer 2.4+ first go to Peferences -> Graphics and check "Hardware Skinning", then go to Preferences -> Advanced and check "Show Developer Menu", then in Develop -> Rendering check the following.

FrameBuffer Objects

Lighting & Shadows

Shadows from Sun/Moon/Projectors

SSAO and Shadow Smoothing

• Like 1

leliel Mirihi wrote:

Those "shadows" you see under objects are just prims with a shadowy texture.

To turn on shadows on viewer 2.4+ first go to Peferences -> Graphics and check "Hardware Skinning", then go to Preferences -> Advanced and check "Show Developer Menu", then in Develop -> Rendering check the following.

FrameBuffer Objects

Lighting & Shadows

Shadows from Sun/Moon/Projectors

SSAO and Shadow Smoothing

Just to also note, this is still a work in progress.  You will get crashes while playing with shadows.

Also, the alphs are a bit messed up still.  Kerstin's viewer has an alpha texture fix you can use but it tends to blur the screen.

This is standard V2 with shadows and without.  Same light setting. Sun and lighting are from the stock LL 3PM setting.

(Click pic for full size version)

110407_001.jpg110407_002.jpg

You can see more strands of hair on my forehead with shadows on that you see with normal settings.  These are hidden by the ever present OpenGL alpha glitch.  However the rendered hair strands are blocky and pixalated.

• Like 1

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

You can see more strands of hair on my forehead with shadows on that you see with normal settings.  These are hidden by the ever present OpenGL alpha glitch.  However the rendered hair strands are blocky and pixalated.

That's from the Automatic Alpha masks which you can disable (or enable on non deferred) by unchecking Develop -> Rendering -> Automatic Alpha Masks (deferred).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the latest 2.6 Beta Viewer and I got shadows to work the old way, by going into debug settings and then setting RenderuseFBO and RenderDeferred to true.  The shadows seem to work better, with a bit less lag, than when I last tried them.  

A couple of small glitches though.  

1)Although my avatar shadow is stable, if I wear a system skirt, the shadow always shows a full-length skirt even if I'm wearing a short one.

2)'Shiny' stopped working when I enabled shadows, even though I didn't change the graphics settings.

In 2.6 Beta Viewer, snapshots work properly with shadows enabled.  No need to 'print screen' and then paste, as before!

This was taken in Damania, the perfect place to explore lighting effects:

Shadows - Damania - 2_001.jpg

Conifer Dada wrote:

1)Although my avatar shadow is stable, if I wear a system skirt, the shadow always shows a full-length skirt even if I'm wearing a short one.

Sounds like a bug. You should file an issue in jira for it.

2)'Shiny' stopped working when I enabled shadows, even though I didn't change the graphics settings.

Shiny still works, it just looks different, and much more realistic. Compare the spheres in this image with bump maps and shiny on, deferred on the right.

Deferred.png

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4727 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.