Do you use SKU? Why?

Gabryel Nyoki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Gabryel Nyoki said:

Have you ever used SKU's for items?

not sure what the use case for this would be with SL products

if we were wanting to uniquely identify a product in constant time then OBJECT_CREATOR + OBJECT_CREATION_TIME gives us a constant unique identifier

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGetObjectDetails

i suppose we could encode this data into a SKU texture but other than for display aesthetic reasons then am not seeing any advantage over just storing the data verbatim

47 minutes ago, Gabryel Nyoki said:

It’s a feauture in SL marketplace...

ah! ok

i took it to meant SKU as in a scannable Stock Keeping Unit barcode

this said I think that SL merchants with a large inventory of stock for sale would probably have some kind of product code ssytem yes, but if so then most likely only for internal accounting purposes

i only say this because I don't think I have ever bought anything on MP which has had that field filled in

15 hours ago, Gabryel Nyoki said:

Have you ever used SKU's for items?

I use the SKU to group listings that belong together on the marketplace.
To explain, i am selling gachas were the items of the same gacha have different product names and i use the SKU to track sold quantity and income of the same gacha set as i import my sales in a spreadsheet later.

868477295_2020-11-1912_59_50-Shortcuts.thumb.png.c31a0cd291f3144ab03416b769857e6b.png

Sometimes the names of the items of the same gacha cannot be filtered by using the item name because they were not done "well"  (like Brand+GachaSet+Item) and the SKU should help to filter them under manage listings.

I say should because the filter is not working with SKU anymore since May of this year.
A JIRA is open about that: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-228747

I imagine that non-gacha merchants use that in a similar way, for products categories, old stock etc.
Though beside that filtering SKU does not work atm, the functionality was very limited and it was not possible to subfilter the SKU.

Another use of the SKU is to use it for the quick fill button on new listings as a template for new Items.
But also here be aware that there was a change in functionality early this year and if you use quick fill - independently from SKU - you have to take care to what happens with description and particularly keywords in other languages. Else you might unintentionally get flagged for keyword spam.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-229572

Edited by Samara Sharkfin
fixes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Samara Sharkfin said:

I use the SKU to group listings that belong together on the marketplace.
To explain, i am selling gachas were the items of the same gacha have different product names and i use the SKU to track sold quantity and income of the same gacha set as i import my sales in a spreadsheet later.

868477295_2020-11-1912_59_50-Shortcuts.thumb.png.c31a0cd291f3144ab03416b769857e6b.png

Sometimes the names of the items of the same gacha cannot be filtered by using the item name because they were not done "well"  (like Brand+GachaSet+Item) and the SKU should help to filter them under manage listings.

I say should because the filter is not working with SKU anymore since May of this year.

I imagine that non-gacha merchants use that in a similar way, for products categories, old stock etc.
Though beside that filtering SKU does not work atm, the functionality was very limited and it was not possible to subfilter the SKU.

Another use of the SKU is to use it for the quick fill button on new listings as a template for new Items.
But also here be aware that there was a change in functionality early this year and if you use quick fill - independently from SKU - you have to take care to what happens with description and particularly keywords in other languages. Else you might unintentionally get flagged for keyword spam.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-229572

Very nice, finally someone nice in this forum, You just gave me hopes to mankind.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I always use A SKU because I use "Quick Fill" a lot.

There was a bug a couple years ago where listings that were made using the Quick fill/ copy button would be reverted to the original copied listing. Over 100 of my listings were reverted and some were then delisted for being duplicates.

Using an original SKU for each new listing separated it from the original listing in the MP servers and defeated the bug, so I started using them and never looked back.

I made up a system for them and they are occasionally handy for an easy private search term.

Would recommend.

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2020 at 1:29 PM, Samara Sharkfin said:

This JIRA was just closed and now SKU search in manage listings works again!  yay \o/ 

Thanks LL engineers!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.