What happened here ?

Horus Salubrius

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday I tried a Signature Gianni with a Catwa head Dude - I got the body right (maybe even better than the Legacy), the head is a problem, not sure I like it so am gonna try changing that up & will probably be back here looking for more help.  But for now I noticed this:  Horus was bald but now he has this "fuzz" on his head which is exactly the fuzz that is on the Catwa head & his eye colour has changed (though I like this one better I 'reckon).  I, naively perhaps, thought the the outfits would remain fixed but this appears not to be the case.  Anyway .. what happened here ?    I don't mind the fuzz but I would like to know how to avoid having attributes cut across all outfits - if you know what I mean.

as aside - any recommendation on heads for Gianni ?  I do not like the Dude head, if it could look pretty much like this one I'd be happy - and yes demo, demo, demo.    Still floundering around using a lot of guess work & trial & error & getting lost & this has thrown me ...  🤪 14db7b2a4051af9914a95f9ecf8517ba.png 

22 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

any recommendation on heads for Gianni ?

That's really up to your liking. Bodywise, you shouldn't run into compatiblity issues.

If you want different hairbases / beards / make-up for varying outfit, you are either using BOM and save the required layers as part of the outfit. Or if you are using appliers, a new copy of your head with the chosen appliers should get saved. Alternatively, check "quick save" slots on the head HUD to switch between your favourite looks.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

That's really up to your liking. Bodywise, you shouldn't run into compatiblity issues.

If you want different hairbases / beards / make-up for varying outfit, you are either using BOM and save the required layers as part of the outfit. Or if you are using appliers, a new copy of your head with the chosen appliers should get saved. Alternatively, check "quick save" slots on the head HUD to switch between your favourite looks.

wait ... I can use a lelutka head on a Gianni body ?   I thought you had to use heads designed specifically for the body.  Pretty sure I am not grasping the layers & appliers thingie as yet & I haven't figured out the save slots on the HUDs, that would probably help out a lot !!  ...  forgive me, I'm only days into this madness !!

48 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

outfits, unless you make seperate copies manually, are just "links" to the original item. The appearance will change for every "linked" item you saved in the different outflfolders.

ok, that kinda makes sense, so there should be the same "link" in both avis to explain what happened if I am understand this correctly.  

9 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

wait ... I can use a lelutka head on a Gianni body ? 

That is correct, sir! Any head goes with any body. 

Of course there are people that would like to tell you "if you have body X, you need head Y" but that's nonsense. Any head should work with any body, period.

Have fun exploring even more heads now 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Signature comes with two neck setups which are meant to provide a better blend for certain heads. That's pretty much all about compability.

43 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

ok, that kinda makes sense, so there should be the same "link" in both avis to explain what happened if I am understand this correctly.  

... eh?

1 hour ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

That is correct, sir! Any head goes with any body. 

Well if I could have my current head no a Signature Gianni body that would be superb.  I am quite happy with the Legacy body but already I can see that it's "shopping" range is limited.  

57 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

.. eh?

lol - indeed.  I am only a few days into this so am really struggling to understand it all.   That was in response to Alwin's post about how the links work - if I am using the same item across different avis & saving outfits there is only 1 item & the different outfits simply point to that 1 item, so if I change that item in one avi the other avis with reflect that change as well.   I may try copying items for each outfit & saving that way but I suspect I will run into issues to do with permissions.

@LillithHapmouche -  Wait a sec... you already own a LeLutka head and a Legacy body, but you already wanted to switch to Catwa and Signature?

How about slowing down a bit and learning to work with what you got instead of shilling out L$ left and right?

I'm quite happy with what I have done with the Lelutka head & Legacy body, just feels limited.    I have configured the shape to the way I like it & have figured out the HUDs & attachments, etc.  Just that it feels limited.  Also I wanted to see how to work with all the different body & head types to try & get a grasp on it, but I may just end up sticking with the one I've got.  As for the L$  - I had a hefty balance from my days as a gaming host 10 years ago, so no worries there... yet !  

1 hour ago, Jordan Whitt said:

No idea what you are asking or how to help, just popped in to say your avi is coming along nicely!

Thank you !  

Edited by Horus Salubrius
can no longer respond due to max daily limit !!

Wait a sec... you already own a LeLutka head and a Legacy body, but you already wanted to switch to Catwa and Signature?

How about slowing down a bit and learning to work with what you got instead of shilling out L$ left and right?

And unfortunately, I'm afraid that stores are rather likely to ditch Signature as a supported brand instead of the rather new Legacy.

2 hours ago, Horus Salubrius said:

I am quite happy with the Legacy body but already I can see that it's "shopping" range is limited.

Of all the major brand male bodies, Legacy is the newest. Yes, it has been out for over a year now, but Gianni has been out for four and a half years, and Jake for over three years, so they have had much longer to build up rigging support among creators. In addition, Legacy first had to try and overcome its association with TMP (which - for some - it never will) but it's catching up rapidly, while a few stores are beginning to drop Gianni in favour of rigging for Jake and Legacy.

5 hours ago, Horus Salubrius said:

I tried a Signature Gianni with a Catwa head Dude - I got the body right (maybe even better than the Legacy), the head is a problem

You didn't state how the head was a problem, so I want to check that you started by wearing the included Catwa Starter Shape for Dude, and not any shape that you had been wearing/had customised for your Lelutka head. Each mesh head brand rigs differently, so a shape that works correctly for one brand will look vastly different (and usually absolutely bloody terrible) on another brand.

Carrying across your body settings from one shape to another is easy. I suggest first disabling the preview images in Edit Shape, so that all you see are the numbers (which will save some scrolling). Write down the body slider numbers from your Lelutka shape for the Body, Legs, and Torso tabs. Then, put on the Dude head, with the Catwa Starter Shape for Dude, edit it, and change the slider settings in Body, Legs, and Torso to the ones you wrote down. Save As and give it a different name, and you will then have your preferred body shape on the starter settings for the head. You can then start tweaking the head sliders.

Horus was bald but now he has this "fuzz" on his head which is exactly the fuzz that is on the Catwa head

The 'fuzz' that is on the Catwa head will not translate across to your Lelutka head, unless you both activated BoM on the Catwa head and then added a tattoo layer hairbase. The default hairbase on male Catwa Bento heads is an applier on the upper layer of the head itself until you clear it using the Master HUD, so when you take the head off the hairbase detaches with it. Did you, by any chance, pick up and use anything from the free BoM pack in the gift room at the Catwa store? If you added one of the tattoo layer hairbases from that pack then that will be why it's 'transferred' across to your Lelutka head.

any recommendation on heads for Gianni ?  I do not like the Dude head, if it could look pretty much like this one I'd be happy

If you're happy with that one, then why do you want to change? I note that you have a neck seam in your image. Is that why? If so, then check that you're wearing the 'SL Neck' version of your Gianni body (it may also be called 'New Neck') and not the 'Default Neck' version. SL Neck/New Neck is for the new Universal Neck that is used by Lelutka Evolution heads, and Default Neck is used for older heads that don't have the new Universal Neck.

Lastly, to explain the 'links' thing more thoroughly, I'll point you to this, which I posted in response to a similar question elsewhere on the forum:

A mesh body part will 'remember' its previous state, and that previous state will be remembered across all outfits until the state is changed. This refers to appliers and alpha layers, as well as BoM status (whether BoM has been activated or not).

Let us say that you create an outfit where you're wearing a tank top and shorts. It's a beach outfit, so you want to be tanned. You change your applier skin to a tanned one. You set the alpha tab on the body's HUD so that it hides the parts of your body that are covered by the shorts and the tank top. You save this outfit and call it 'beach'.

Let's say that you then put on a tuxedo. This time you don't want to be tanned, so you change your applier skin to be pale. For that you need many more parts of your body alpha'd out, so you set those alphas and save the outfit, calling it 'formal'.

You then change back into the 'beach' outfit, but you notice that your body is still alpha'd out the same way it was when you wore the formal tuxedo and your skin is pale and not tanned like it was when you saved the beach outfit.

The reason for this is that when you save an outfit each item in that outfit is a link to the original item. You're not saving a copy of the body; you're saving a link to the original body. So it stands that whatever state that original body is currently in will carry across to all outfits that the body is saved in until you change the state of the body. So, if you alpha out your legs to wear a pair of pants your body is in the state of "leg sections alpha'd out" and until you change that state all of your outfits will have those leg pieces missing.

BoM complicates this a little. Note that I mention 'BoM status' in that quote. If BoM has been activated on the mesh body part then it's your underlying system layers that will carry over and show on any mesh body part that also has BoM activated on them, until you change the system layers. BoM is currently in a phase where some creators are switching over to 'BoM always on' rather than 'BoM must be activated'. So your Lelutka Evolution head is 'BoM always on' (there is no option to wear an applier skin on Evolution heads), whereas your Catwa Dude head is 'BoM must be activated'. Older Lelutka heads need to have BoM activated, and all major male bodies on the market also need to have BoM activated, etc.

(The more that I help people through the minefield of avatar customisation, the more I don't envy them, and the more my list of Blog Tutorials I Need to Write makes me realise that I don't have enough hours in the day...)

I see, too, that you've once again hit the max daily limit for posting. While I appreciate that being put in place (mostly because of a recent persistent spammer that we had) it has to be irritating for you when you need help! I'm not sure if forum PMs also count in that max daily limit, but feel free to send me a PM and we can continue the conversation there if needs be. Just hover your cursor over my forum icon, and click 'Message' when it shows up.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.