Deploy Plan for the Week of 2020-08-31

Mazidox Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server:

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-08-24T21%3A00%3A45.547626.html

Scheduled Tuesday 2020-09-01 03:00-09:00 PDT

Second Life RC:

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-08-24T21%3A00%3A45.547626.html

Scheduled Wednesday 2020-09-02 07:00-10:30 PDT

No, that isn't a typo, we're rolling 547626 grid-wide. There isn't a new RC this week, we're just getting everything on the same version for now.

On Region Restarts

Regions will be restarted if they have been running for more than 10 days on Tuesday (Main Channel) and Wednesday (RCs) regardless of whether or not new code is being deployed, for the general health and well being of the Simulators. Nothing beats turning it off and then on again ... once in a while.

As always please plan events around these maintenance windows. However, if you are hosting an event on Tuesday or Wednesday when we're not deploying new code, you can restart your region ahead of time to avoid interruptions.

• Thanks 6

I and others sailing have been having much worse problems with sitting after a region crossing this last weekend.

On sailing boats where the skipper hikes left and right to adjust the weight of the boat, we are getting stuck in a pose unable to hike after a few region crossings. To fix it we have to stand and resit quickly and hope the boat doesn't get returned from under us.

It feels like the cure in the server release is worse than the problem? I never noticed this problem before the fix, at least not with any regularity.

Edited by Aethelwine
more detail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just a guess, but might be a side-effect of

• SL-13785 improves some instances where vehicles would stop responding to control inputs after a region crossing. We don’t believe we’ve fixed all instances of this issue yet, but this patch should offer some relief for the issue.

in 547626

40 minutes ago, LoganPryor said:

Just a guess, but might be a side-effect of

in 547626

And why I posted in this thread 😀

With the old Loonetta boat (which doesn't have hikes), on region crossings fairly regularly the boat is just mooring with you sat there until you stand and resit. It is like partial unsits.. not everyone seems to be affected, but a lot are.

Edited by Aethelwine
Add something

It affects different brands of vehicles differently. While I had partial control losses on a couple of Bandit and TMS sailboats, I can't seem to get any failures out of Trudeaus.

What I did observe is that scripts that check if an avatar is still seated on (linked to) the vehicle after a crossing often seem to get told that the avatar is not there despite them very well having been put back on the vehicle. Any issues that come up then are perhaps because of vehicle scripts trying to do the safe thing and treat the driver as absent until explicitly re-seated. At least that's how it goes for my test cases, but to be fair, they are far from comprehensive. Just what I can see from my own script works. What commercial vehicle scripts see and do has to be everyones guess.

• Like 2

We did some more vehicle tests with results that may perhaps shed some more light on the current issue.

What happens is that sitters may not be linked to their vehicle after a crossing. That is, they are, everything would look fine but when a script tests for sitters they may not see them anymore within the total linkset. Link number goes down too while that state lasts. Sitters may arrive a bit late, but quite often they may only ever show up after another crossing. At no time you'll get a link change event.

When you have multiple sitters as in crewed vehicles, their link order will change depending on the time of arrival, so you may end up with a skipper starting on the lowest link number and ending on a higher one.

All that sure can cause some havoc for vehicle engines that try to be a bit clever and compensate for crossings going wrong. I can't of course say that this is the root cause for the current vehicle control problems but it may very well be so.

Diagnostic script to display the link status of all sitters when changes are seen, no warranties whatsoever:

/*
    say sitter names in link order whenever it changes
*/

string MySitters;
string old;

string FindSitters()
{
    string out;
    list sitters;
    integer PrimsOnly = llGetObjectPrimCount(llGetKey());
    integer NumOfAvis = llGetNumberOfPrims() - PrimsOnly;
    integer i = PrimsOnly + 1;
    if (NumOfAvis == 0) return out;
    else for (; i <= PrimsOnly + NumOfAvis; i++)
    {
        sitters += (string)(i - PrimsOnly) + ": " + llGetDisplayName(llGetLinkKey(i));
    }
    out = "\n" + llDumpList2String(sitters, "\n");
    return out;
}

{
    state_entry()
    {
        MySitters = FindSitters();
    }

changed(integer change)
    {
        if (change & CHANGED_LINK)
        {
            MySitters = "Link change!\n" + FindSitters();
        }

if (change & CHANGED_REGION)
        {
        }
        if (MySitters != old) // something changed compared to last time
        {
            llSay(0, MySitters);
            old = MySitters;
            llSetTimerEvent(1);
        }
    }

timer()
    {   // re-test until something changes again or we hit the next crossing
        if (MySitters != old)
        {
            llSay(0, MySitters);
            old = MySitters;
            llSetTimerEvent(0);
        }
    }
}

Posting numbers here.

Internet ping time to Phoenix: about 150-160ms. This is pretty consistent , has been for years. Note this excludes direct server-related delay which the viewer-reported ping time includes

Minimum region crossing time: about 6 seconds

Some variation with time-of-day. Peak log-ins come at about 21:00 UTC, minimum at around 09:00 UTC, and high log-ins correlates with poor performance. region crossing and asset loading

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.