Places page requires forced landing point for skybox?

Eidolon Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Eidolon Aeon said:

I'm not having luck getting my new places page to drop visitors where I want them. I recently set a landing point, but really, really don't want forced routing. Do I just need to give things time to update, or am I out of luck?

Places Pages will always drop people in the CENTER of your parcel at ground level. This if you have a 512 or a region.  No way around it unless something has change VERY recently. Long conversations on this in the past. This is pretty much what happens in Opensim when someone comes to a place via the hypergrid. 

While LL could like "fix" this, the Places Pages (and yes, I have one now and have had many) aren't all that popular. I can think of lots of ways to improve them and sure others can also but as far as I know changes are NOT on the LL road map. 

The best you can do is put a LM giver at the spot where folks land.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 1

I think the problem is that setting a parcel's Landing Point without setting its Teleport Routing to "Landing Point" just doesn't have any effect. When I test Place Pages on a parcel with Landing Point routing fully enabled, the avatar ends up at the set landing point, not at the center of the parcel -- regardless of the slurl in the Place Page's "Visit This Location" button.

(Note also that Landing Points have an Abilities-specific Group member exemption, requiring an "outsider" confederate to test. On Group-owned land, at least. In case it weren't complicated enough. But that exemption might be enough to soften the "really, really don't want forced routing" sentiment -- or not, depending on the reason.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I think the problem is that setting a parcel's Landing Point without setting its Teleport Routing to "Landing Point" just doesn't have any effect. When I test Place Pages on a parcel with Landing Point routing fully enabled, the avatar ends up at the set landing point, not at the center of the parcel -- regardless of the slurl in the Place Page's "Visit This Location" button.

(Note also that Landing Points have an Abilities-specific Group member exemption, requiring an "outsider" confederate to test. On Group-owned land, at least. In case it weren't complicated enough. But that exemption might be enough to soften the "really, really don't want forced routing" sentiment -- or not, depending on the reason.)

I tested that about a month ago when I moved to a new sim. I had Landing Point enabled and testing with an alt that had NO powers (and even an alt with building powers) they both ended up on the ground in the very middle of the parcel. It has been this way for ME for-ever :D.    I turned of the landing point as I needed people to be able to get around between ground, city and a few skyboxes. But it never worked with the Places Pages.  For me anyway and on other threads like this in the past.  I just put a teleport landmark giver board at the center on the ground.  

Not sure why it works for you and not others LOL. You must be VERY SPECIAL.  :D.   My land isn't group owned or set to group.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

Well, if you're up for trying it, here's the Place Page I tested: https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/3899/future-vrc-station-extension which puts me at the landing point I set this morning (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Spangle/181/234/30) instead of where the Place Page specifies (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Spangle/198/236/21) which I think probably is the center of the parcel.

I don't claim any Place Pages expertise, though. I've made a few for the VRC but this morning was the first time I actually tried it with a landing point. Beginner's luck?

On 8/23/2020 at 6:01 PM, Eidolon Aeon said:

I'm not having luck getting my new places page to drop visitors where I want them. I recently set a landing point, but really, really don't want forced routing. Do I just need to give things time to update, or am I out of luck?

I don't how to fix the landing issue but I'm wondering if places pages are worth it. Is there any way to tell which customers are coming via the place page, and which by search/places or your picks or some other means?

13 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I'm wondering if places pages are worth it.

If you can get your place listed as pick of the month, you can expect quite a lot of traffic while it lasts. If you can manage to get your place lsited on the viewer's splash page you can expect a tiny bit of traffic trickling in from it, manly newcomers. Apart from that, no I don't think it's worth it. The submission process is rather cumbersome to put it mildly (especially the ridiculous image requirements), the fact you need a forced entry point can be quite annoying and it isn't going to bring many visitors, if any.

A friend of mine is running a number of lovely Japanese themed "experience sims", relying entirely on the Destination Guide to promote them. I'm working on some upgrades to them at the moment and I had a look at the traffic count of one: 183. That's barely enough to account for the time I and the owner have spent there.

We could really do with a proper online SL places directory. LL has made at least three attempts that I know of but they've all been rather half hearted and the others have flopped even worse than the Destination Guide. (Does anybody but me even remember the last one, the one with those panoramic images?) I was half hoping Slbeacon could fill that gap but I doubt it. Nothing has happened there for weeks and it still has a long way to go.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I don't how to fix the landing issue but I'm wondering if places pages are worth it. Is there any way to tell which customers are coming via the place page, and which by search/places or your picks or some other means?

I had been pointing people to it from MP for finding specific items because I regularly move stuff around to make space for new items.  I'm reconsidering that, though. Maybe updating all the "See item in Second Life" links is just another one of those Marketplace time sinks I resign myself to. I've got a generally more stable setup now, anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eidolon Aeon said:

I had been pointing people to it from MP for finding specific items because I regularly move stuff around to make space for new items.

That's what one of the other "online directories" I had in mind could have been useful for - if it hadn't been so half-hearted, forgotten and hopelessly outdated that is.

Here's Grendel's Chlidren's online catalog. They are the only ones I know of that still use it but every single parcel in SL has such a page. Only parcels that pays the 30 L$/week listing fee have content lsits though and only items that have the "Show in  search" checkbox checked are listed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Here's Grendel's Chlidren's online catalog. They are the only ones I know of that still use it but every single parcel in SL has such a page.

Huh. I remembered Grendel's had a catalogue, but forgot it was different from a place page. No search or sort, but the page is cleaner, and you don't have to scroll down to see what the real use is. Maybe I'll use a combo of direct SLURLs and the catalogue.

23 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Is there any way to tell which customers are coming via the place page, and which by search/places or your picks or some other means?

To actually answer that question: there are scripted landing pads that do this. You give each SLURL a slightly different landing coordinate, and the pad tracks where people land on it. I don't bother with visitor trackers anymore, but this type is certainly useful for people who need a better idea of what marketing is effective for them. 

I doubt I'd get any visitors at that ground location aside from the places page.

3 minutes ago, Eidolon Aeon said:

To actually answer that question: there are scripted landing pads that do this. You give each SLURL a slightly different landing coordinate, and the pad tracks where people land on it.

That won't work for the Destination Guide since it requries a forced tp entry point.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.