Creating a submarine for volumetric prim/mesh water

SabaothMastema

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Been gone a bit and came back not long after Covid got going. Figured I would give myself a nice little project.

Right now Im trying to create a submarine that can function on prim or mesh based volumetric water. I've made a normal submarine before, but am unsure of how to proceed with non-SL water.

Any pointers?

There is NO volumetric water in SL.

The Linden water is just a number. At that level the viewer will render a water plane. Under the plane is nothing - but the shaders change and show you everything in a blurry simulated under water view.

If you use a water megaprim it's similar. In case of a cube you have just 6 planes that will give you the impression of a water volume when you look at it from outside.
But if you go into the prim you don't see the planes - from inside there is nothing to see - no water and no plywood if you test it with a plywood prim.

You could make a mesh cube that has inside planes but that will look like a hollow cube with water walls - not worth the effort.

It's better to only make a surface plane that will look like water from above and from below and you can ping it with llCastRay so your submarine knows where the surface is.

Movement is flying at zero gravity in mid air. Any physical on non physical movement is useable.

If you have windows: for a water effect you need to tweak the windows of the submarine. Same for a submarine base with underwater windows.

• Thanks 1

I think a spaceship script should work.
You could find this kind of script in the freebies a few years ago.
This type of script does not use PHYSICAL mode.
The movement is linear (it isn't jerky) but the vehicle moves forward only if a key on the keyboard is pressed.
(Vehicle movement is less realistic than in PHYSICAL mode)

On SL market, you have this vehicle (with editable scripts)

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AC-PHANTOM-NON-PHYSICAL-GLIDER/5673971

4 hours ago, VirtualKitten said:

I think OP means volumetric water like you can buy on Market Place.  Its a mesh grid with faces to look like the water has body under it . I hope this helps. OP will then be flying through a mesh water not llWater. 

- A few 100 semi transparent planes are a perfect fps killer.
- Enlarging that to a size where a submarine fits in and can even be driven will raise your LI into heights never seen before.

Not useable by my opinion.

For the submarine, you can also use an airplane script.
But this script must be modified so that the vehicle doesn't go down below the water body and doesn't exceed its upper limit.
By using a timer, you can check the height of the vehicle and keep it between these two limits.
However, this requires knowledge of LSL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.