Lost Account

SigmaDeltaOmega

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

ok so i'm an old SL user returning for the first time in over 5 years and (mind blown) so much has change. anyway, how can i recover my old accounts? i have like 5 of them and i don't know what the protocol is on old accounts. are they gone for good?, do i need my email which those are also gone nor can i remember any passwords soo? what do i do. all i got is a username which is something...but feels like nothing regarding account recovery? any ideas?

8 answers to this question

so i'm still waiting to see if i can get my accounts back and now i'm wondering? I have two under this account and i'm trying to recover 7 back...the limit i hear is 5 so that will make me four over. will they over look this or do you think i'll have to create a new email and split them up?

also what happens to lost accounts? do they go to some archive ? if i can get them back what happens to the stuff in their inventory. or am i only getting back a name? 

There is (technically) a restriction on the number of alts you can have, but it has not been strictly enforced for many years. Many people have more than 5 accounts.  If you search in the SL wiki for information about alts, you will also find the statement: "However, if you create an army of alts, Linden Lab may charge a small fee of US$9.95 for the creation of each additional basic account as a way to recoup some of the cost. "  The important phrase in that is "army of alts," which is meant to discourage people -- mostly griefers -- who create a large number of alts to harass other people.  I have never known anyone who was charged for having more than the legal number of alts, but it is technically possible.

The bottom line is that you're probably not going to have any problem with your small army -- if they are recoverable.  At the KB article that I referenced in my first reply to you said, there is no guarantee that any old account can be recovered, or that its inventory or L$ balance will be intact.  Still, there's no harm asking.

13 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

If you have deleted those account, there will be a fee to restore them, if you just abandoned him, I'm not sure what LL will do. 

There is no fee if the account was a basic account when it was deleted. They now allow you to reactivate the account yourself, if you know the password. But you also need the email the account was created with to verify its yours, otherwise you will need to go through customer service.  I recently reactivated an old account this way and it works flawlessly, literally took 5 minutes.

ok so i'm  having a new problem. out of nine alts, i recovered six. in order to recover these you need to answer questions to prove that the accounts are indeed minds. however. i was only asked 4 question for some of my alts being.

What is the answer to your security question:

What is the city, state/province, and country that you registered the account from?

What is the city, state/province, and country that you last logged into the account from?

If you have an active alternate account, what is the name of that alternate account?

i was  never asked a security question for the others? why? but more importantly. all my accounts are created in the same city, state, and country as well as lasted log. i provided an alt city when the other fail yet still no dice. how can i combat this?

9 minutes ago, SigmaDeltaOmega said:

ok so i'm  having a new problem. out of nine alts, i recovered six. in order to recover these you need to answer questions to prove that the accounts are indeed minds. however. i was only asked 4 question for some of my alts being.

What is the answer to your security question:

What is the city, state/province, and country that you registered the account from?

What is the city, state/province, and country that you last logged into the account from?

If you have an active alternate account, what is the name of that alternate account?

i was  never asked a security question for the others? why? but more importantly. all my accounts are created in the same city, state, and country as well as lasted log. i provided an alt city when the other fail yet still no dice. how can i combat this?

the recovery system changed a bit recently, most accounts you can recover with a simple reset, or a question, but for others they ask more, different, or have to go the "old" way by the ticket system.
If you can't provide the answer, only a ticket remains. If that route fails, you'r out of luck.
As far i know, i'm here since 2005/6 there always been security questions.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.