discrete event simulation software

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, awic135 said:

What are the discrete event simulation software, such as AnyLogic and Simio, can be linked with Second Life?

I don't think there are any. SL is a "closed garden" and LL has never even hinted at anything like discrete event simulation software being compatible. 

Only person I can think of who may know for certain would be @Oz Linden, Director of Second Life Engineering . 

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

That's a fascinating concept. This is what Simio does:

Use this simulator to run a factory in Second Life?

It's a cool concept but a big job to implement. SL objects can talk to the outside world if programmed to do so. You'd need to have the simulation running on a server, and objects in the SL world making HTTP calls to find out what they're supposed to do next. There are open source simulation frameworks like SimPy which could probably be made to talk to SL. You'd have objects in SL calling out to a Python program elsewhere, asking "I'm box 345, where do I go next".

If you want to see a conveyor in SL, visit the drilling platform in ANWR. That's where prims come from.

Is this for fun, for an assignment, or do you really need to simulate a production line?

@animats is right ... I'm not familiar with those packages, but if they could be made to use HTTP to pass events into SL objects or the SL objects could call out to get events it could probably be done (watch out for rate limits, though).

Depending on the complexity of the simulation, you could also try to just implement it in LSL directly.

I'm also curious about what you want to do?

• Like 1

With a fair amount of work, you could do Minecraft/Roblox/Factorio factories in SL. They'd look better in SL.

You could start by developing some components that work together. Conveyors and generic "machine tools", to start. At the beginning of the production line, the first machine creates new items and puts them on a conveyor. Each machine on the production line (initially just a cube, then make it look better) takes in an item from a conveyor, does something, and the item comes out on the output side with a new texture. If the item has a model of the finished product, you can use texture changes to show it in all its pre-finished states.

Each machine and conveyor has to talk to its neighbors, or use sensors such as llCastRay, so items wait until the next station is clear. You could have join points, where a machine has two inputs, such as a chassis and a body, and both have to arrive before the operation can happen. You can have split points, where items can take different tracks.

Now you can have actual factory timing problems. If the painting machine takes twice as long as the stamping machine, the painting machine will be a bottleneck. So you can put in a split and have the stamping machine feed two painting machines. Then the lines join and go to the packaging machine.

If you build all that, you've built a discrete event simulator in Second Life.

42 minutes ago, animats said:

With a fair amount of work, you could do Minecraft/Roblox/Factorio factories in SL. They'd look better in SL.

You could start by developing some components that work together. Conveyors and generic "machine tools", to start. At the beginning of the production line, the first machine creates new items and puts them on a conveyor. Each machine on the production line (initially just a cube, then make it look better) takes in an item from a conveyor, does something, and the item comes out on the output side with a new texture. If the item has a model of the finished product, you can use texture changes to show it in all its pre-finished states.

Each machine and conveyor has to talk to its neighbors, or use sensors such as llCastRay, so items wait until the next station is clear. You could have join points, where a machine has two inputs, such as a chassis and a body, and both have to arrive before the operation can happen. You can have split points, where items can take different tracks.

Now you can have actual factory timing problems. If the painting machine takes twice as long as the stamping machine, the painting machine will be a bottleneck. So you can put in a split and have the stamping machine feed two painting machines. Then the lines join and go to the packaging machine.

If you build all that, you've built a discrete event simulator in Second Life.

I a, curious simply because I don’t understand what you all are talking about?  What is this proposed thing supposed to do?

48 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

I am curious simply because I don’t understand what you all are talking about?  What is this proposed thing supposed to do?

Watch the video above of Simio in action. The original poster wants to do stuff like that in Second Life.

3 hours ago, animats said:

Watch the video above of Simio in action. The original poster wants to do stuff like that in Second Life.

So is it making a virtual factory?  Or cause and effect?  Like a Rube Goldberg machine, or kinetic like a George Rhoads sculpture?  Or is it controlling something in the real world?  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.