Blake Sea Ferry

Trevor4ever

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know if the Blake Sea Ferry still operates?  There is a Ferry Terminal at the Barbarossa Infohub but I never see the Ferry arrive there.  I remember that there used to be an automated Ferry which would take you to different locations within the Blake Sea.  Nevertheless, when I try to find that automated ferry nowadays I am unable to find it.  Can anyone help me out?  Does it still exist?  Or did it get removed?  Thanks for any information that you may be able to share on this topic.

I don't ever recall seeing the ferry.

I found this photo on a blog of two ferries at the rezz area causing a bit of a crash, this was from 2010. The Wiki still mentions the ferry on the infohub page, which was last touched in 2016. The reference there to the ferry was made in 2014. It narrows things down a bit but I have been a fairly regular visitor to the Blake Sea over the last 5 years and don't recall ever seeing it.

Mare+091108_001.png

ferrydock.thumb.jpg.3f75b18effee13df4b58cbee8e7f344c.jpg

Rail ferry dock, Bhaga. Did this ever work, and let trains go onto a ferry?

There are some ferries for sale on marketplace, but most are prim-era designs. One has 176 prims.

(A vehicle ferry that crosses region boundaries is a tough problem.)

Thanks @Aethelwine, yes the VRC ferry runs almost the same route now as it did way back then. It has a slightly different Tuliptree terminus, but it's not hard to find. It uses the same landing in Bhaga although that SLRR station itself was since replaced by Michael Linden, who also made the rail ferry dock shown in @animats' picture.

Unfortunately there's never been much progress on ferries for vehicles. I wrote a script ages ago that would let the vehicle remain unlinked from the ferry but travel along with it (kinda), but it's just hopeless to make the motion compelling with the very slightest sim crossing trouble (not unlike multi-car trains, but with the glitches even more obvious), so every time I've looked back at it I've immediately found other interests. So don't hold your breath for that one.

To add a couple other non-Blake Sea ferries: The ancient Purple-Cecropia "GSLR Tug Tour" ferry (predating the VRC Ferry) still runs across the ANWR Strait between GSLR on Sansara and the stub connecting with SLRR on Heterocera. Also, inter-continental YavaPods ferry between Bay City (near the end of the airport runway in Grub Beach) and Cecropia, as well as Purple to Calleta.

• Like 2

Bay City has its own ferry service too, quite a large moving obstruction in the canals that add a little interest and sometimes frustration!

There is or was a ferry service in the sea of fables that went to Bohol, not sure it still runs though - I haven't noticed it recently.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 9:48 AM, Qie Niangao said:

Unfortunately there's never been much progress on ferries for vehicles. I wrote a script ages ago that would let the vehicle remain unlinked from the ferry but travel along with it (kinda), but it's just hopeless to make the motion compelling with the very slightest sim crossing trouble (not unlike multi-car trains, but with the glitches even more obvious), so every time I've looked back at it I've immediately found other interests. So don't hold your breath for that one.

I mentioned the sim crossing problem (multi-car trains) at the SLRR even at SL17B, and got shouted down for not calling them "region crossings", but how often does a region crossing stay on the same sim-server? With the sims moving onto the cloud I doubt that is going to improve, and vehicle ferries, I reckon, are a very dead duck without significant support built in to both LSL and the server code.

The railways in Bellisaria run on different enough parcel permissions that multi-car trains are a dead end.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.