Mainland Owner hasnt been online since 2017?

Chvdi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1410 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, 

i own a parcel of mainland for a couple months.
The neighbour seems to be an older “landbaron” perhaps who has not been online since 2017.

I tried contacting him, but havent had any response.

My location is https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mahulu/16/234

I would be interested in buying his parcel if possible but not sure how it works if someone hasnt been online in couple years...

Any tips or relatable stories welcome!!

10 minutes ago, Chvdi said:

Hello, 

i own a parcel of mainland for a couple months.
The neighbour seems to be an older “landbaron” perhaps who has not been online since 2017.

I tried contacting him, but havent had any response.

My location is https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mahulu/16/234

I would be interested in buying his parcel if possible but not sure how it works if someone hasnt been online in couple years...

Any tips or relatable stories welcome!!

not possible to buy if he owns it and still pays for it.
He could be using alts to replace his original account, but still uses it as wallet.

• Like 2

sorry Chvdi, is nothing that can be done until you are able to contact the person, or the person sells or stops paying the tier and abandons their parcel

while the person may not have logged in they are still paying the tier for their parcel.  While they continue to do this then is their land

also some people do log in on second accounts regularly, and still maintain (pay for) their parcels on their first account for nostalgia reasons

sometimes I have been in your situation, wanting to extend my property but the neighbours are not contactable.  Then I sometimes think They Linden should take the neighbours parcel under the "Molly Eminent Domain" principle and give it me. But so far They Linden remains uncontactable to me also. Which I suppose some people might think is ok. But yanno !!!

not that you are suggesting this for yourself ever. But if you ever did have these moments like I do then realise that you have to get in the queue behind me ok

• Like 2

One tiny glimmer of hope: He's too young to have a permanent, lifetime membership, so if the land's group tier is still being covered, it's costing the owner at least a premium membership every year.

It may or may not also cost him tier every month; it's only 1072 sq.m. so would fit within Premium bonus tier if it's the only land the group owns... but if he hasn't been in-world since 2017, pretty sure that was before the Premium bonus tier was increased to 1024 sq.m. (plus Group bonus), so even if this is the only land owned by that group it must have been costing something each month, back in 2017.

Anyway, he should be paying something at least for the Premium subscription, but it being group land, maybe he's not. There doesn't seem to be any reliable limit on how long a group can go with too little tier contributed to cover their land. A few years ago there was a debug setting that let us see if land-owning groups had enough contributed tier to cover their holdings, but that doesn't work anymore. Instead it may be worth putting in a ticket to ask whether that group happens to be under-tier, in which case you might be able to buy the parcel.

I mean, the worst that can happen is the Lab could say "none of your business" in the most professional and diplomatic way.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Chvdi said:

File a support ticket about it. Alwin, Molly and Qie are probably right but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

For THIS land note that there are 67 members so likely there is extra tier left to go around -- even if the original owner of this plot isn't in SL any longer. 

In GENERAL a person doesn't really need to be in SL for the land to still be owned by them. IF they have their account charges on automatic (and many people do as that is the default) then premium membership gets paid without any new input. Tier can be automatic too if there is payment info on file.  They could have forgotten about SL and not pay much attention to their credit card statement. I am sure there is a lot of that going on judging by semi-abandoned mainland that I have seen over the years (and wondered). 

53112351_groupland2.jpg.64868423239c7abe551d19e24bdfeb31.jpg

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

Hi @Chic Aeon,
thanks for ure reply and ure time for the screenshot. ❤️
(I actually meant the parcel to the East of mine in the Mahulu sim)

But the answers are very helpfull, and i wanna thank everybody for their time.

I think i will just keep an eye out for a couple weeks before i make plans about filling in a ticket.

Appreciate it a lot.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1410 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.