Too much lag

Cully Andel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Over the last few weeks I've seen a major increase in lag - and I mean major. Half the time I visit a sim (with just 2-3 other people) and I just can't move. In 10 years I've never experienced this and SL is suddenly using a lot more resources on my laptop - 4 times as many.

Anyone else experiencing this?

9 hours ago, Cully Andel said:

Anyone else experiencing this?

Odd niggles, now and again, but absolutely nothing as bad as you describe. I would highly suspect that something has hiccuped at your end, or on your internet connection.

So, yes, as @Alwin Alcott suggests, lets see your Help - About [viewer name] data* copy/pasted in this thread, and see if any of the usual suspects show up.

* Best obtained once you are logged-in.

Cool VL Viewer v1.26.24.17, 64 bits, May  2 2020 10:44:15
Release Notes

You are at 259923.9, 252095.8, 104.7  in Okemo Gorge located at
sim10632.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.52.194:13010)
Second Life Server 2020-05-22T18:10:49.542737
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz (1800 MHz)
Memory: 8102MB
OS version: Microsoft Windows 10 64 bits v10.0 (build 10586.836)
Memory manager: OS native
Graphics card vendor: Intel
Graphics card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
Windows graphics driver version: 26.20.0100.7323
OpenGL version: 4.2.0 - Build 26.20.100.7323
Detected VRAM: 4178MB
J2C decoder: OpenJPEG: 1.4.0.635f
Audio driver: FMOD Studio v2.01.00
Networking backend: libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8
Embedded browser: CEF3 plugin v74.1.19+gb62bacf+chromium-74.0.3729.157
Packets lost: 22/3621 (0.6%)

Built with: MSVC v1916
Compiler-generated maths: SSE2.

Compile flags used for this build:
/O2 /Oi /MP /DNDEBUG /D_SECURE_SCL=0 /D_HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGGING=0 /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /GR /EHsc /Oy- /GS /fp:fast /TP /W2 /Zc:forScope /Zc:wchar_t- /c /nologo /DLL_WINDOWS=1 /DUNICODE /D_UNICODE /DWINVER=0x0600 /D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0600 /DXML_STATIC /DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB /DLL_LUA=1 /DLL_FMODSTUDIO=1 /DAPR_DECLARE_STATIC /DAPU_DECLARE_STATIC /DCURL_STATICLIB=1 /DLIB_NDOF=1

well from a few things I can see with the hardware, you are bottle necking, so you need to adjust the viewer for the hardware,  lower draw distance,  disable shadows,  lower lod factor,  mm quite a few things will help.

I built mine just for SL,  even being built for SL and having very little bottle neck, It still chokes in sims full of people.  even with my settings cranked way way down.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (3300 MHz)  <-- it's at 4.5ghz on water, windows never detects it correctly
Memory: 65447 MB  <-- 64gb of ram.
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18363.836)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 980/PCIe/SSE2  <--- I have 2 of these in the system, stock clocks.

StjEb1W.png

These are my optimal settings for my hardware,  I could turn a few things on, but I like my fps.

Edited by bigmoe Whitfield
added picture and info

Thank you for replying. I have my DD at 32 or 64 depending on how laggy it is and I use Low graphics. I don't have all the features on either, just basic shaders, bump mapping, transparent water, and i think atmospheric shaders. Mesh objects are all on medium, particles 512, Post process quality i never touch so it won't be high and nor is Max complexity. 

Last night was a sim with 2 other people and only one was within 100m of me. 

Most times you can't really do anything, because most creator sell their mesh items with absolutely zero game optimization in polygone and texture usage. So your computer has to render more polygones like in some recent computer games whilst you have to download gigabytes of textures at the same time.

There are some things in the Statistics window which can help distinguish between viewer, network, and server problems.

Ctrl-Shift-1 to open the Window

Scroll down to the Simulator section: Time Dilation is entirely simulator behaviour. Also Sim and Physics FPS numbers.

I reckon that's a useful check. Dropping draw distance and the Avatar Complexity limits can certainly help if the viewer is overloading, and they may reduce load on the network. It's become less significant since content delivery moved from UDP to HTTP,

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.