Issue with resizing a 'mixed' linkset

Miguelito Shilova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've got an unscripted boat linkset made up of both mesh and a handful of regular prims, and I'm trying to scale it down to a model size. I've tried two open source scripts, including this one, but could only drop the size of my build about 10% and it wouldn't scale down any further. One of my friends mentioned that it might be because of the mixed nature of my build ... can anyone confirm that? If so, Is there a workaround or another script that can handle the issue?

Thanks!

--Mig

33 minutes ago, Miguelito Shilova said:

I've got an unscripted boat linkset made up of both mesh and a handful of regular prims, and I'm trying to scale it down to a model size. I've tried two open source scripts, including this one, but could only drop the size of my build about 10% and it wouldn't scale down any further. One of my friends mentioned that it might be because of the mixed nature of my build ... can anyone confirm that? If so, Is there a workaround or another script that can handle the issue?

Thanks!

--Mig

Mollymews is right.

I've had some success with increasing the size of each child prim that is at its minimum size. So increasing that value from 0.01 to 0.02. Then reducing the size again and checking visually whether the "look" is still acceptable. 

ETA: It may be that the offending prim is what the seller linked to "add" his name to the mesh - these items are often set at almost minimum size for a prim.

Sometimes it's possible - if it's not mesh or sculpt, and the orientation of the prim - to reduce its size further, using prim torture methods such as slicing, pathcutting...

Can be a lot of work - but if you really love something, and it's just too big for your avatar size, it may be possible to achieve.

Emma :) 

Edited by Emma Krokus
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Miguelito Shilova said:

Ah, that explains it ... I have a bunch of sheets and halyards (ropes) that are pretty thin. Good to know ... thanks!

to get prims visually smaller then look at the Slice property and other prim torture methods.  For example with Slice set to 0.5 when reduced to 0.01 it will look like it is 0.005, half smaller than the min.

edit: what Emma said

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 1

I use the Fix It Small Prims script.  It will stop downsizing at a certain point due to the prim sizes (works on link sets).  But then you remove the script and place it back in and go again.  Sometimes it's "explodes" but I have been able to get houses with very thin planes in down to model sizes.

I tend to go slowly and create a copy a few times for safety.  The only caveat this has only been on mesh I haven't tried doing this on a mixed model.   Is it possible to replace the Prim parts with Mesh?

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Fix_Small_Prims

37 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

to get prims visually smaller then look at the Slice property and other prim torture methods.  For example with Slice set to 0.5 when reduced to 0.01 it will look like it is 0.005, half smaller than the min.

And with Slice Begin set to 0.49 and Slice End set to 0.51 you can reduce the thickness to 0.0002!

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.