Any way around "inventory creation in-world failed" when packing items into a box?

MelodyClone1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm packing rarely-used clothing and textures into boxes to save inventory space. I get this annoying "inventory creation in-world failed" whenever I try to drag more than ~20 into the box at the time, which is not helpful at all because I don't know which items failed to create, so I have drag everything again and then spend time deleting the duplicates. Doing it ~15 items at once, then waiting like ~20sec for SL catch its breath to reload the inventory in the box (cause rapidly dragging in ~15 items at a time before it finishes "reloading" will also throw that error), is painfully slow cause I have a huge inventory, is there any way around this? Some script that can automate this maybe?

Edited by MelodyClone1

9 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, MelodyClone1 said:

I'm packing rarely-used clothing and textures into boxes to save inventory space. I get this annoying "inventory creation in-world failed" whenever I try to drag more than ~20 into the box at the time, which is not helpful at all because I don't know which items failed to create, so I have drag everything again and then spend time deleting the duplicates. Doing it ~15 items at once, then waiting like ~20sec for SL catch its breath to reload the inventory in the box (cause rapidly dragging in ~15 items at a time before it finishes "reloading" will also throw that error), is painfully slow cause I have a huge inventory, is there any way around this? Some script that can automate this maybe?

Not an unusual problem and especially bad it seems with "older" items. Since we have been assured that a large inventory is not a big deal (Patch and others) and that things like Groups affect our viewer experience, maybe just making a new folder or two called something like "old stuff" and moving them there.  

Personally I go through my inventory a couple of times a year and delete things that are horribly old (no longer of course LOL) or the I have something similar with better quality. This also let's you find forgotten gems.    My inventory with many many multiple backups in various places (I have had issues in the past with things disappearing) AND a couple of stores worth of goods is around 43,000. I kept it at 15,000 for many years but when told it wasn't all that important I stopped being SO worried.

Good luck.  Also if you are boxing thing be SURE you box them in a brand new cube (not a book or a vase that you might keep rezzed inworld. That issue may have changed over the years but I had the storage "book" replaced by it original and lost all the items INSIDE the book. So NOT a good idea :D. 

On 5/5/2020 at 10:09 PM, Chic Aeon said:

and that things like Groups affect our viewer experience, maybe just making a new folder or two called something like "old stuff" and moving them there.  

I've been trying to find references to the highlighted phrase above  online. No luck. I may be using the wrong keywords. Can someone provide more details about how groups affect our viewer experience?

24 minutes ago, Unda Xue said:

I've been trying to find references to the highlighted phrase above  online. No luck. I may be using the wrong keywords. Can someone provide more details about how groups affect our viewer experience?

That information was in a talk (so a video if you didn't go) by Patch a fair amount of time ago now. Maybe at a birthday celebration like "meet the Lindens"?  Someone else might remember exactly.  It was in a conversation about "lag".  I remembered because it was something that I hadn't heard before.   Since this was before Project Uplift to the Cloud I don't know how relevant it is now.  I know there have definitely be issues with rezzing and issues with groups after the move to the cloud. The crashing (most important I think) seems better and I expect they are working on things.   

Patch stated back then if my memory serves well that it was the really BIG groups (maybe like Lelutka or 7DS) that were problematic as when folks teleported to a new region the groups had to load.  That might not be quite right but an idea along those lines.  That's pretty much all I remember. 

PS:  I think this was also about someone asking why we can't have MORE groups :D.

Also while I am here on an ISSUES topic, a reminder that no copy items that didn't rez are STILL being sent back (not the next day this time but a few days later) to TRASH.  This is so not good. I found part of a gacha that I bought on the secondary market in the trash when I was emptying. I always now open each folder and go through the trash before hitting that Empty Trash button --- so beware anyone who has had no copy items disappear.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

That information was in a talk (so a video if you didn't go) by Patch a fair amount of time ago now. Maybe at a birthday celebration like "meet the Lindens"?  Someone else might remember exactly.  It was in a conversation about "lag".  I remembered because it was something that I hadn't heard before.   Since this was before Project Uplift to the Cloud I don't know how relevant it is now.  I know there have definitely be issues with rezzing and issues with groups after the move to the cloud. The crashing (most important I think) seems better and I expect they are working on things.   

Patch stated back then if my memory serves well that it was the really BIG groups (maybe like Lelutka or 7DS) that were problematic as when folks teleported to a new region the groups had to load.  That might not be quite right but an idea along those lines.  That's pretty much all I remember. 

Thanks very much. I'm having huge problems logging in and loading. Takes a long time to rez and then 50-75% of my inventory is missing I'm always having to clear my inventory cache to get on. It takes 2 or three attempts just to log in and I often rez with only a partial inventory count.  I'm looking into every solution I can find as this has been going on for several months. The inventory is large but I've heard people say they have larger ones and have no trouble with logging in.  I'll take off a couple of my bigger groups (I have those two you mentioned) and see what happens.

6 minutes ago, Unda Xue said:

Thanks very much. I'm having huge problems logging in and loading. Takes a long time to rez and then 50-75% of my inventory is missing I'm always having to clear my inventory cache to get on. It takes 2 or three attempts just to log in and I often rez with only a partial inventory count.  I'm looking into every solution I can find as this has been going on for several months. The inventory is large but I've heard people say they have larger ones and have no trouble with logging in.  I'll take off a couple of my bigger groups (I have those two you mentioned) and see what happens.

7DS is a pay group so it will cost you to get back in. Honestly I don't think it is the group thing but the Cloud thing as most of us are having issues and apparently WHERE you live is a big problem for some.

Have you tried the Linden viewer as a test if you are using a 3rd Party viewer -- like Firestorm?

Also having folders in folders so no more than 3000 items in a folder is suppose to help if you have a large inventory. Mine is only 50,000 after 13 years :D

Edited by Chic Aeon

Good suggestions!, all. I've been working on limiting folder size. I didn't know 3k items was the limit. Thank you. If I have folders within folder within folders can each one be up to 3k or does that make the parent folder too big if its children folders are each 3k? 

I've tested with the Linden viewer. It's more responsive than Firestorm, but not always.  I will use it if I can't get inventory to load on Firestorm and I'm trying to troubleshoot. It usually is more reliable for loading, I just don't like the way it looks.

Your third suggestion is the best solution (only 50k inventory) but I fear I may lack the necessary organizational skills and grit to to "kick it to the curb". 😄  I have this inner policy in my head I am always fighting. It's something like "Save for later... just in case!"  (I do sometimes ask myself: in the context of a virtual world, what is the "in case?"  I have never satisfactorily answered that question. 😕 )

2 hours ago, Unda Xue said:

Good suggestions!, all. I've been working on limiting folder size. I didn't know 3k items was the limit. Thank you. If I have folders within folder within folders can each one be up to 3k or does that make the parent folder too big if its children folders are each 3k? 

Roughly 3k items at any level within a folder.  Lots of sub-folders is a good thing, but if any one folder has lots more than 3000 items directly under it, there could be some inventory loading issues.  Roughly this:

Inventory-folder-a
  sub-folder-1
    sub-folder-1a
      item
      item
      No more than 3000 directly under sub-folder-1a
    sub-folder-1b
      item
      item
      No more than 3000 directly under sub-folder-1b
    No more than 3000 directly under sub-folder-1
  sub-folder-2
    sub-folder-2a
      item
      item
      No more than 3000 directly under sub-folder-2a
    sub-folder-2b
      item
      item
      No more than 3000 directly under sub-folder-2b
    item
    item
    No more than 3000 directly under sub-folder-2
  item
  item
  No more that 3000 directly under Inventory-folder-a

When you get more than 3000 at a specific level, create more sub-folders.  Note that the 3000 is a rough estimate.  I've heard numbers from 2500 to 5000.

My inventory contains approx. 150,000 items.  It does slow down the login process due to that initial loading of inventory.  However, once logged in, the inventory size doesn't really impact much.  If you are having continual problems loading your inventory at login, confirm that is is not flat (i.e. follows the rules stated above) and then start looking at connection issues.  If you are having connection problems, that inventory load process can definitely hiccup.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

@MelodyClone1 You are going to find a lot of old out dated information regarding viewer performance. You'll also find a lot of information that is incomplete.

Inventory in SL is unlimited. This makes sense as the Lab makes money from items residents buy. They wouldn't want your inventory to fill up and you to stop buying.

LittleMe points out the gotcha in the inventory system. Depending on you computer and the quality of your connection along with how busy the SL system is at the time, loading a folder with a ton of stuff in it can cause a time out and jam the login process. Somewhere between 3k and 5+k items in a folder can cause problems. I've had a folder with 6k+ items and no problem. But, I divided it up to avoid problems in case I have a bad Internet day. Now I try to keep folders down to 1k folders & items per folder.

Be clear, a folder with a 1,000 folders each with a 1,000 folders with each of those having 1,000 items (that is about 1,000,000,000 things) is not a problem.

Does having lots of things in you inventory slow the viewer down? Yes and no but it depends on other factors, as most everything in SL does. Large inventories (i.e., 100k) take a minute to download. To know whether yours is a problem (these are individual issues as your computer, Internet, and time of day you are on make the difference) you need an Alt with no inventory. Logon with the same viewer and see how long the viewer takes to login and rez your location. Open a couple of copies of your inventory and see how  long they take to open.

I suspect most of the difference between the AV with stuff and an AV with no inventory will be so small you'll need a stop watch. If you can't tell a difference, you do NOT need to be packing up stuff in boxes.

Inventory in the viewer is a list of folder/item names and UUIDs. The stuff that makes up an inventory item lives in the asset database. It doesn't come to the viewer until you rez it. The result is inventory is not something you can tweak to make any significant difference in performance.

Groups... again use the Alt with few or no groups to see how groups are affecting your performance. The groups have a small effect on the viewer. They have a huge effect on the back-end system. Thus the limit on groups. Large or small groups no longer make much difference on the viewer side. Viewers usually will not load the members list of a LARGE group. You'll see the back-end start to over load in large groups when a load of people are on and chatting. But, that won't affect your FPS or other aspects of SL. You may not be able chat with the group, but otherwise you won't notice large groups affecting you.

Contacts... these used to be a problem. The viewers have been changed to remove that problem. Once upon a time you could delete contact-cards and boost performance. Now I don't think there is any detectable difference.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.