MESH RELEASE DATE COMFIRMED!

Hugo Reitveld

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You need to be patient. If you follow the user group meetings - transcripts are posted after each meeting - you will see that they have quite a few issues to work out.

We all want mesh out as soon as possible, but I'd rather have them done right than have them rushed out with more bugs than is necessary ('cause there will be bugs :)).

LL want to get this right, and I support that.

- Luc -

• Like 1

Yes patient.. 7 months of being taunted with a beta thats way more stable than sculpties were, without even a hint it's going to be released this year. The attitude seems to be "It'll be done when it's done.. don't like that? THEN LEAVE". This is a **bleep**ing $500,000,000 company

Also for those who have not noticed, the Mesh Project code was merged into the main viewer-development code yesterday.  It is turned off, but this step is to make sure it does not break other stuff on the grid by it's presence.  So from this point it will be maintained as part of the main code, rather than a separate branch.  Once it is in final form, then "turning on" mesh will just mean removing the bits of the software that keep it turned off.

It's never a good idea to rush something so good that would change everything about Second Life itself.

Let it brew till it's done, so stop asking.  People like you are getting on developers' nerve and mine as well. If you want it now, go write codes yourself, then you'll realize it's not that simple as picking out a release date by throwing a dart on a calendar.

What difference does it really make.  It's all 2d pixel images in a virtual world so you can have as much fun on the beta grid as the main grid working on meshes to your hearts content.  Meanwhile people who don't build, and therefore buy your stuff, DO NOT CARE whether they are buying prims, meshes or sculpties...it all ends up as triangles anyway.  They want good design and novelty. If it means you have to still build things with prims and sculpties until the change over, I should think that would be a piece of cake to you by now.  These things will not be outdated and I full plan to keep wearing and using my prim/sculpty inventory.  I paid for it or designed it.  I like it. I'll continue to use it.

And this wait gives you a chance to build up inventory.  No one will have a huge advantage going in (which is great), everyone has had/will have plenty of time to catch up on mesh implementation and design if they are starting from scratch, since by now some really great tutorials have been produced and people's questions are being answered.

All the horses will leave the gate at the same time.

edited.

Nacy Nightfire wrote:

What difference does it really make. 

I'll tell you exactly the difference it makes. The merchants and land owners do not get a weekly LL paycheck. They earn their money by making things to sell. Objects are not really my specialty, but If I were a fulltime sculpty maker, I'd be extremely annoyed at the lack of giving any kind of time reference for mesh. I do understand this tho. Once I heard mesh was for sure coming to the main grid, I embarked down a path of combining my specialty with mesh. So, now, we have this great system that we spent loads of time on, which I love creating things for, but I know that I will have to redo every single product that I make. The mesh version will be so much more efficient and better looking, I would consider it neglect to allow the sculpty versions to remain in place. The customers want more, so I have to keep making stuff.

So, basically, I'm sure that it does not make a bit of diference to LL or the many SL residents that do not earn their living thru SL, but it makes a huge difference to me.

Medhue you sound like someone who'd refuse anesthesia during an operation so you could yell at the the surgeon to hurry up.

If LL decided to tell us NOTHING, no heads up or preparation, just unleashed it  when they were ready, you'd most likely be complaining  that they didn't give you time to prepare.  You'd also be b*itching that there was never an opportunity to test the features and give input, insisting as a content creator your input is extremely valuable.

LL has been very inclusive and generous, and they can't win here.

And what good does it do to complain, but set a negative tone.  I've been in SL since 10/07 and I don't recall ever getting a promise that if I start up a business in SL I'd have some personal stake in this company giving me a right to to expect instantaneous service.  In fact you don't have to even rent but the tiniest bit of land to sell in SL and you can put all your product in the Marketplace, so any expenses you incur in SL are simply your choice, not imposed on you. This is why I refuse to spend any money in SL, although I used to spend alot.  I find the arrogance of so called "content creators" appalling.

As far as I've notice, people are still selling and paying their tier.  As to redoing your stuff, that's you option.

The entitlement of people who start up a business in a virtual environment run by a private company with its own personal business goals profit motive/needs that will always take precedence, where there is where there is a HISTORY of changes that can impact a business at a moments notice amazes me.  By all means, build your house in a flood zone.  Most of the time you will be high and dry,  but you can't weather the inevitable storms and you don't have a back up plan, its your own problem.

Are you serious?

I sat down, and gave you a thought out couple of examples of where a heads up would be extremely appreciated, and you come back at me with insults? You do not know me, not at all. I'm not entitled to anything, why would I be?

Content creators? You mean all the people that spend hours and hours, days and years, learning everything it takes to give you the best product they can? The people that devote their whole lives to this platform? The people that work every single day to try and create the best experience they can for their customers?

Sorry, but I care about the platform and all the people that spend their time and money here. I know that all of us took a risk on this platform and it's success is a success for all of us. Never once have I ever told any1 to "hurry up". I have only asked for a timeline, and I get assaulted for this?

>Medhue you sound like someone who'd refuse anesthesia during an operation so you could yell at the the surgeon to hurry up.

Actually, he sounds more like a guy who woke up during surgery because it has gone on so long that the anesthesia ran out.

I would probably yell, too.

• Like 1

1) Yes, I am serious

2) Insults?  Point to them.

3) Devoting your whole life to this platform, this sounds a bit extreme to me.  I'm not sure that's what LL intended.  Also optional.  My experience in this game is in no way enhanced by your choice to commit hours and hours in SL.

4) When I buy nice stuff in SL I don't see it as an "experience".  It's virtual "cr*p", often overpriced for what it is, but amusing.  It's a pixel painting, sometimes enhanced by some scripting, (or a series of paintings to give the illusion of 3d). And I also assume the creator of this artwork had alot of fun in the process, perhaps made a few bucks.  If person who made the stuff is agonizing and sacrificing to give me the best possible customer service, they needn't bother.  I expect that kind of service (never get it though!) in REAL LIFE not in a virtual world, but those are my priorities. 

5)  Assault?  Are we engaging in some kind of role play I'm not familiar with?

If everyone was prohibited from buying and selling stuff, we'd all make do and still have a great time in SL.  I run into people with free accounts all the time, they never spend a dime in SL and have a blast.

It always surprizes me that some1 would actually complain about some1 else complaining. It really must take a special kind of person to fit this mold. Sure, I can see calling out things that are completely invalid, but this rarely ever happens. Why deal with reality when insults are much easier to sling.

Maybe I need lessons on being a better fanboy.

Lol, thanks Medhue,  I needed a good laugh this morning. 

I challenged you to point out where in my posting you were insulted and that challenge still stands. Of course insinuating I'M a "fanboi"  and a "special kind of person"  ARE actual insults (however I'm a big "kid" so I can take it!). 

Branding another poster as a "fanboi" seems to be the last refuge of a forum poster who has an indefensible position, yet must get the last word in.  It's also tediously unoriginal.  And, fyi, there's no evidence I am in fact a blind loyalist to all things Linden. 

Finally, Complaining about complaining?  Two negatives equal a positive.

I've now said all I'm going to say on this matter...by all means post again and have the final word. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.