Downgrading to Basic - A Recent Change?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1483 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I just downgraded to Basic membership about ten days early.  I was expecting to lose my perks immediately but still get my two remaining stipend payments.  This result for initiating a downgrade has been mentioned over and over here on the forums, once in the last couple of days.  BUT, I still have all my abilities and groups etc and a note at the top of my account now reads:

image.png.fedf8bd0b285c5a7e6666580f16f471a.png

So this "seems" like a recent change.  If it is, then it is good for folks to know, so posting.  If it ISN'T a recent change then it appears there are lots of folks that didn't know a change happened somewhere along the line :D. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

This is the way it's supposed to work.  Your Premium membership is prepaid, so you retain all your benefits until the end of the period that you paid for, except for your right to own land in the Mainland estate.  You do need to sell or abandon land before you can initiate the downgrade.  Even when the downgrade becomes effective, you will not lose your groups.  You just can't add any more if they take you above the maximum for Basic.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

So I just downgraded to Basic membership about ten days early.  I was expecting to lose my perks immediately but still get my two remaining stipend payment.  This result for initiating a downgrade has been mentioned over and over here on the forums, once in the last couple of days.  BUT, I still have all my abilities and groups etc and a note at the top of my account now reads:

image.png.fedf8bd0b285c5a7e6666580f16f471a.png

So this "seems" like a recent change.  If it is, then it is good for folks to know, so posting.  If it ISN'T a recent change then it appears there are lots of folks that didn't know a change happened somewhere along the line :D. 

It's always been this way. The only thing that changes immediately is your right to hold mainland (or a Linden Home). You have to abandon those before starting the downgrade process.

• Like 1

My point was (and I guess I wasn't clear)  that previously folks replying  here to "downgrading questions" have said that when you downgraded you lost ALL premium abilities, not just the land ownership thing. So you had fewer groups, could no longer use the premium sandboxes etc.   That is currently not true (unless something odd was going on last night). 

Perhaps I just read a lot of similar posts on the subject -- assuming that was true :D.    

8 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

My point was (and I guess I wasn't clear)  that previously folks replying  here to "downgrading questions" have said that when you downgraded you lost ALL premium abilities, not just the land ownership thing. So you had fewer groups, could no longer use the premium sandboxes etc.   That is currently not true (unless something odd was going on last night). 

Nope.  The regulars here, including Lindal, Alwin, and me but also a lot of others, have been pretty consistent for as long as I can remember. When you indicate that you want to downgrade, you are not downgrading instantly. You are just telling Linden Lab not to automatically renew your membership when the renewal date hits. Everything else stays the same, with the single exception that you have to get rid of any land that you own in the Mainland estate (including a Linden Home).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Nope.  The regulars here, including Lindal, Alwin, and me but also a lot of others, have been pretty consistent for as long as I can remember. When you indicate that you want to downgrade, you are not downgrading instantly. You are just telling Linden Lab not to automatically renew your membership when the renewal date hits. Everything else stays the same, with the single exception that you have to get rid of any land that you own in the Mainland estate (including a Linden Home).

somebody in the downgrade process schould try to confirm  ... but in the past it was possible to start the downgrade after releasing land and take away donations, but as soon the time pending starts it was possible to donate the in premium included tier to a group again, but not directly owning mainland.(till the pending ends)

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Thanks, Rolig.  However, I may have been guilty in the past of suggesting (or straight out saying) that all your benefits stop when you put in for a downgrade, even if you have time remaining in your subscription.  If so, I was incorrect.  What Chic is seeing is normal, and not new.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1483 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.