login fail

PenelopeSaint

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

12 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, PenelopeSaint said:

Can't access SL because my viewer stops loading at "Requesting region Capabilities." Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Best place to look is the grid status so its likely region restarts

https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/x1fjt3xhmt9b

Try changing the name of region you are logging into on your log in screen

• Like 1

Hi Penelope!  This could be your internet connection.  As a first step, try turning off your internet modem/router.  Unplug it, wait a couple of minutes, then plug it back in and let it reboot.  Also, if you are using wifi to connect your computer to your local network, try using an Ethernet cable connection instead.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PenelopeSaint said:

my internet is working great... i have good download speeds

That's not usually the issue.  Your Internet may be working great for surfing the web or watching YouTube videos or playing some games, but not be good for SL.  Unlike most other programs that you use, SL demands a continuous, reliable connection between your computer and Linden Lab servers because they need to exchange information in real-time packets 45 times a second.  If a signal is corrupted or delayed momentarily, the connection will be lost, regardless of the fact that you may have fine download speed.  As Lindal suggests, the problem is often the hardware right at your own desk.  The router and modem are often the culprit.  Take her advice and reboot both of them.  Check cables too, to be sure that nothing is loose and the cat hasn't been chewing on things.  Avoid using wifi if you can. (Many people have no trouble with wifi at all, but Linden Lab neither supports nor recommends it because there is too much inherent instability and potential interference with wifi signals.

• Like 1

Rats!  There's clearly something deeper going on, then.  The message about difficulty loading capabilities refers to giving your viewer access to important data bases that contain your inventory, your friends list, and other things.  If you can't make that connection, your viewer can't complete the login process.  Let's see if @Nalates Urriah has any suggestions ......

• Like 1

it must be something happening locally... but i cant figure out what... i have good connection, ive reset my router/modem... ive uninstalled and reinstalled my viewer.. i tried a different viewer.. ive tried different accounts..i created a new account... nothing is working... 

We need to know more. Use the viewer's Help-About... and copy paste the viewer and computer specs here. You can do that without logging in.

Also looking in the Viewer's log file will give us information specific to the crash. Information on how to do that and what to look for is here, 

The point at which you see "Requesting Region Capabilities" is during login to a region. You have been handed off from the Login System to a simulator. At this point the viewer is working to talk to the region server, determining which CDN servers to use, and several other services provided by the SL backend. During this time it is common for packet loss to occur. Often a quick look at Pack Loss numbers immediately after logging in will show high numbers. So we know with some certainty that during this time the viewer is likely to have connection problems.

A fast Internet and network-speed-testing does not tell us anything about your connection to the SL servers. You have to test your connection to the SL servers.

Since you have this problem with a number of regions it is unlikely a problem on the SL side. The most likely problem is your network connection. The smart thing is to eliminate that possible program before you start ripping you computer apart... REGARDLESS of how good an Internet connection you think you have. A good connection to a server in New York uses entirely different parts of the Internet than a connection to the SL Servers. So, the NY connection tells us nothing about the SL connection.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PenelopeSaint said:

Thank you all for your help. it seems the problem is that i have 100% packet loss and the problem is in sunnyvale or great oaks... not a local problem.. no idea whne they will fix the problem but seems there is nothing i can do.

Thanks all 

Penny

You may not realize it but that thought is a product of today's media. I suggest you watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrKOnp1dcoo

Complain to your ISP. Tell them you are seeing 100% packet loss on your favorite game and the route trace shows where the problem is. Be ready to send a copy to them if they ask. If they are not being helpful tell them that is OK you'll contact your city and state's customer communication services oversight organizations and the FCC and file complaints. You'll need to get the name of your state's agency. In California it is the Dept of Consumer Affairs. Most cities manage a franchise that allows the ISP exclusive operation in the city. File complaints there as it impacts whether the city will renew the contract or consider another service. The complaints generate a huge amount of paperwork for the ISP. They will want to avoid that.

You can also ask for a refund of some amount as the service they are providing is not what they advertised and is incomplete. If not, that is OK. Tell them you'll see them in small claims court. At best you may get a few days of service deducted from your next bill. But that makes waves in the company.

If they are really being uncooperative consider telling them you will file a False Advertising claim with the state and FCC and possibly push the state for a class action a law suite. 

There is always something we can do. At the least we can be so damn annoying they will do whatever it takes to shut us up and get us off their back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.