Animated gifs

Bitsy Buccaneer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Moderators

Hi Bitsy,

Unfortunately, I am not personally aware of a way to block animated images within the Forum settings, themselves. 

Your browser may have an option for disabling or blocking those images. If your web browser does not have an option for disabling those images, you can try an ad blocker that offers the option for creating your own filters, or something like Grease Monkey that can set up filters to block those images. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Is there a way to block animated gifs on the forum?

I have neurological problems and photosensitivity which is aggravated by them. If I could just block the gifs, it would make the forums easier and safer to read for me.

Is it all gifs or just the "flashy" ones?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Is it all gifs or just the "flashy" ones?

Flashy ones can set off seizures. Fortunately Lexxi got the No one taken off before I saw it, if that was rapid it probably would have been bad for me. (Already thanked Lexxi in that thread, but thank you again.) And fortunately there aren't too many of those used here. Though that tiny-pixel graphic about concurrency data is like someone designed a trigger test for me.

Any repetitive movement makes it difficult to impossible for me to focus on text enough to read, so I have to position it off of the screen or try to shield it with my hands. Picture gifs tend to give me more time to get them off screen unless there are particular elements in it like straight lines.

Speed of movement, quick repeats vs longer ones, size and percentage of the picture moving factor in. The forums here are more difficult for me than other internet spaces because gifs are often large and take up a fair bit of the screen. Some of them are very bouncy and rapid too.

My visual memory of images associated with you is that they tend to be small. If you're asking in reference to your own habits, you're not someone I associate with gifs that are difficult for me.

3 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Flashy ones can set off seizures. Fortunately Lexxi got the No one taken off before I saw it, if that was rapid it probably would have been bad for me. (Already thanked Lexxi in that thread, but thank you again.) And fortunately there aren't too many of those used here. Though that tiny-pixel graphic about concurrency data is like someone designed a trigger test for me.

Any repetitive movement makes it difficult to impossible for me to focus on text enough to read, so I have to position it off of the screen or try to shield it with my hands. Picture gifs tend to give me more time to get them off screen unless there are particular elements in it like straight lines.

Speed of movement, quick repeats vs longer ones, size and percentage of the picture moving factor in. The forums here are more difficult for me than other internet spaces because gifs are often large and take up a fair bit of the screen. Some of them are very bouncy and rapid too.

My visual memory of images associated with you is that they tend to be small. If you're asking in reference to your own habits, you're not someone I associate with gifs that are difficult for me.

Thank you. I do try not to post images that would trigger seizures. Rule of thumb for me is, if it bothers me visually (TBI) even only mildly, I don't post it.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

Your browser may have an option for disabling or blocking those images. If your web browser does not have an option for disabling those images, you can try an ad blocker that offers the option for creating your own filters, or something like Grease Monkey that can set up filters to block those images. 

Thanks Dakota, I'll look into that.

(10 minutes later 🙃)

I can't figure it out via Ghostery. Probably best to try again when I'm fresh. In the meantime, any suggestions from the collective wisdom of the forums will be welcome.

Which browser do you usually use? 

Chrome has an add-on called Animation Policy that can control gifs:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/animation-policy/ncigbofjfbodhkaffojakplpmnleeoee?hl=en

image.png.3ced6169791493f373652c3c509f62f6.png

Firefox supposedly has an option built in - I haven't tested this because I don't have Firefox installed at work.  On the address bar in Firefox, type 'about:config' and press enter.  Click the box to promise that you'll be careful.  Type "image.animation" into the search box.  Double click 'image.animation_mode' and change the Value from 'normal' to 'none' to turn them off entirely - or set it to 'once' to allow a single play.

For Internet Explorer - maybe for Edge also - pull up Internet Options and on the Advanced tab uncheck 'Play animations in webpages' under Multimedia.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Firefox supposedly has an option built in - I haven't tested this because I don't have Firefox installed at work.  On the address bar in Firefox, type 'about:config' and press enter.  Click the box to promise that you'll be careful.  Type "image.animation" into the search box.  Double click 'image.animation_mode' and change the Value from 'normal' to 'none' to turn them off entirely - or set it to 'once' to allow a single play.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you Lil x x x x x x x x x x x

Your instructions were perfect, very clear and easy to follow. That promise to be careful box would have given me long pause otherwise.

I set it for once and so far so good. If it's enough then I'll be protected but still able to understand the gifs, so a most welcome solution.

Thank you so much for your help ❤️

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.