Seeing Some Avatars With No Legacy Name

sally77899

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello. As I roam around the grid I have noticed some people don't have a legacy name displaying. I have the setting turned on in preferences and can see mostly everyone has one. I was wondering if maybe a few got to do a name change early? The ones im seeing have a first and last name but no period in between like the old ones had. I'm just generally confused as I have only recently returned to sl after a year break. Thank you for your time!

6 answers to this question

I have used 2-3 displaynames - didn't make a difference.

But in FS is have the following options:

- view display names (shows displayname - if you don't have one: shows legacy name)
- usernames (That adds the username "nova.convair" in parenthesis to the displayname (only if displayname is different to username)
- legacy names instead of usernames (that will replace "nova.convair" by "Nova Convair")
- Trim "Resident"  will remove the "Resident" part if there is one

I forgot the options in the LL viewer but there are less.

So keep in mind: everybody has 3 names! And they look different if you are a "Resident"

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sally77899 said:

Hello. As I roam around the grid I have noticed some people don't have a legacy name displaying. I have the setting turned on in preferences and can see mostly everyone has one. I was wondering if maybe a few got to do a name change early? The ones im seeing have a first and last name but no period in between like the old ones had. I'm just generally confused as I have only recently returned to sl after a year break. Thank you for your time!

since 2010 there are no new legacy names.. so most people now have just one. You may have disabled "display name" in  your preferences.

• Like 1

Nova has it right, I think.  What you are seeing is people who have not set a Display Name and have ONLY user names (or, if you prefer, legacy names).  If they show a first name and a last name (like "Lindal Kidd") they are old-timers whose user name includes both a first name and a surname.

As I recall, those of us with legacy usernames, who have never selected a display name, will have our display names displayed with a space between first and surname. The moment we select a display name, the system will forevermore separate the first and surnames with a period. So, even if we revert to our original legacy surnames, you'll see that period in the display name.

I've never tested this, and never will.  I may be misremembering.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.