BoM Skins - Maitreya Body, Genus Classic Head: Suggestions?

Ajay McDowwll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I've taken the plunge and gone to BoM... and I like it!  My only complaint off the bat was that my old skinmaker (I've worn the same artist's skin since I first realized that my default skin was hideous) isn't producing BoM skins, and my old system skin's shadows were pretty awful around the neck, hands, and feet.  Soooo... I had to go In Search Of.

And I've now got a few nice skins, but one -- that I had to purchase in two parts, one for the head and one for the body -- leaves an awful line around my neck (but the body is the bomb), and the other one that matches beautifully at my neck (it's a single piece just as our original system skins were) has a problem with the collarbone being somewhat offset from where my body actually has it, which looks... odd.

So I guess my question is, has anyone found a vendor whose skins well for both the Maitreya body and the Genus Head, as far as BoM skins are concerned?  I'd love to find something that I loved as much as my old applier skins.  I'd still just stick with those, but I'm kind of attached to not being stuck with onionskin layers anymore. I enjoy not essentially wearing 3-4 bodies :P

Thank you for any suggestions and/ or thoughts you're able to offer!

Edited by Ajay McDowwll

I stumbled across Gessami on the MP a week or so ago, tried their demos and ended up buying both the male and female skins. The heads are separate but there is no visible seam at the neck, they match perfectly (and the female face also matches with the male body which is a huge bonus for me). The female face has a separate Genus version, which looked decidedly odd on my Catwa head, but if it works as well as the other one works on Catwa, I'd say give it a shot. It's true BOM, which means no need for finger/toe fixers.  I really hope they start bringing out more skins soon.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/225136

For anyone shopping for a male skin, note that while the male face is illustrated with a beard, the actual skin comes clean-shaven and no beards are included.

• Like 1

I'm going to have a look at both of those -- thank you!

I did find the solution with the skin that had a terrible neck mismatch -- the demo didn't have the neck tattoo or foot tattoo that the full version had.  Once I added the neck tattoo (ADD Ajay, not WEAR), the neck issue went away.

Of course, this was AFTER I'd edited all my outfits to have the single-skin with the collarbone issue in it... sigh.  Oh well, at least it's fixed :)

12 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

So I guess my question is, has anyone found a vendor whose skins well for both the Maitreya body and the Genus Head, as far as BoM skins are concerned?

I'm using The Skinnery for both Genus and Maitreya, and it works pretty well, but with some caveats.

When they redid the skins for BOM, The Skinnery actually changed their tones a little, with the result that newer body system skins in a particular shade (I use "Honey") don't actually match exactly with the older head appliers (and system tattoos) in what is supposed to be the same tone. It's subtle, but it does mean that the neck join is quite visible using an older head with the newer body skins. They've fixed that pretty well with a neck tattoo fix that you add additionally -- I can't see the join anymore -- but the older heads are now just a tad different than the body skins they supposedly match with.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm using The Skinnery for both Genus and Maitreya, and it works pretty well, but with some caveats.

When they redid the skins for BOM, The Skinnery actually changed their tones a little, with the result that newer body system skins in a particular shade (I use "Honey") don't actually match exactly with the older head appliers (and system tattoos) in what is supposed to be the same tone. It's subtle, but it does mean that the neck join is quite visible using an older head with the newer body skins. They've fixed that pretty well with a neck tattoo fix that you add additionally -- I can't see the join anymore -- but the older heads are now just a tad different than the body skins they supposedly match with.

Scylla, that's what I ended up with, in Champagne.  Either the neck tattoo wasn't in the demo, or I thought I knew what I was doing (I should know better, LOL) and I failed to read a notecard.  Once I found the neck tattoo in the version I bought -- after the collarbone issue with the other skin -- I put it on and all was well.

The downside is that I now have to go through every outfit and make sure ALL parts of the Skinnery skin (body, head, neck tattoo, and foot tattoo) are in each of them.  I've got a little fix I'm using, wherein I made myself just wearing the Skinnery pieces into an Outfit and "Add to Current Outfit" every time I put on something I haven't fixed yet... but dagnabbit, after I had everything updated last night it's a bit disheartening.

Oh well, it will work out eventually, even if I just spend time tonight ensuring everything is where it ought to be.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

The downside is that I now have to go through every outfit and make sure ALL parts of the Skinnery skin (body, head, neck tattoo, and foot tattoo) are in each of them.  I've got a little fix I'm using, wherein I made myself just wearing the Skinnery pieces into an Outfit and "Add to Current Outfit" every time I put on something I haven't fixed yet... but dagnabbit, after I had everything updated last night it's a bit disheartening.

Yeah, to be honest, I'm not systematically updating my existing outfits yet. All my new outfits are either Slink Redux or Maitreya with BOM enabled, but I'm only updating older ones in a very piecemeal fashion as I wear them again for the first time.  I have nearly 500 outfits (yes, that's a stupid number which I plan to reduce), so it would take months to do it to each of them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, to be honest, I'm not systematically updating my existing outfits yet. All my new outfits are either Slink Redux or Maitreya with BOM enabled, but I'm only updating older ones in a very piecemeal fashion as I wear them again for the first time.  I have nearly 500 outfits (yes, that's a stupid number which I plan to reduce), so it would take months to do it to each of them.

I'm not at 500 -- more like 120, which I know from having to replace links after the Maitreya update -- but I have significantly more than my husband, who was very disturbed at having up update all 10 of his when his Gianni updated.

I love that man, but I didn't even feel bad for him that he didn't know how to replace the links (I've since showed him how).  On that note, the "Replace Links" is working for me, but last night the thing where I was supposed to just remove links (to my old manicure gloves/ pedicure socks and my head and body alphas) wouldn't complete the job so I had to go do it manually.

I was in bed before 11, but not by much LOL

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My goal is to cut down to 500.  I"m a bit over twice that now. 

I do have a system so I don't have to update all of them when my basic body changes.  I have several base body outfits with just the body and anything I always wear such as my neko bits.  When I save an outfit, I then take off the base body outfit I'm wearing and save again. .That way I have my clothing outfits saved without a body and I can just wear the body outfit I want and add the clothing outfit.  It makes updating my base body much easier.  I also have to go into each outfit folder as I save them and delete the system layers you can't take off, the skin, eyebrows, shape and eyes.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have nearly 500 outfits (yes, that's a stupid number which I plan to reduce),

3 minutes ago, Amanda Dallin said:

My goal is to cut down to 500.  I"m a bit over twice that now. 

O.O

I have around 50 tops and most of them are old.  I was thinking of ditching them all starting over with a few new ones. 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

I'm not at 500 -- more like 120, which I know from having to replace links after the Maitreya update -- but I have significantly more than my husband, who was very disturbed at having up update all 10 of his when his Gianni updated.

I love that man, but I didn't even feel bad for him that he didn't know how to replace the links (I've since showed him how).  On that note, the "Replace Links" is working for me, but last night the thing where I was supposed to just remove links (to my old manicure gloves/ pedicure socks and my head and body alphas) wouldn't complete the job so I had to go do it manually.

I was in bed before 11, but not by much LOL

I solve this problem by saving body outfits and clothing outfits separately. I currently have about 15 different body outfits, each with a different skin, and includes whatever tattoo layers like freckles, finger/toe fixes plus attachments like elf ears and, um, dangly bits, etc which go with that skin. Furry and neko bodies also include tails, cat ears, head etc.  I don't include hair because that changes far too often.

Clothes are saved separately, so I don't have to re-save each set of clothing for each body. When I save them, I delete all the parts that are part of the body rather than the clothes. When I change, I REPLACE the body outfit and ADD the clothing outfit. 

I also have one "emergency" outfit that includes my favourite body set and my favourite clothing, just in case I need to make a sudden change in public.

This way, when I aquire a new skin, I don't have to replace any links. I just save a new body set. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

I solve this problem by saving body outfits and clothing outfits separately. I currently have about 15 different body outfits, each with a different skin, and includes whatever tattoo layers like freckles, finger/toe fixes plus attachments like elf ears and, um, dangly bits, etc which go with that skin. Furry and neko bodies also include tails, cat ears, head etc.  I don't include hair because that changes far too often.

Clothes are saved separately, so I don't have to re-save each set of clothing for each body. When I save them, I delete all the parts that are part of the body rather than the clothes. When I change, I REPLACE the body outfit and ADD the clothing outfit. 

I also have one "emergency" outfit that includes my favourite body set and my favourite clothing, just in case I need to make a sudden change in public.

This way, when I aquire a new skin, I don't have to replace any links. I just save a new body set. 

That's... kind of genius :)  I love it.  I don't know if I'll go that route (change is hard, and I already took the BoM/ new skinmaker plunge this week, LOL), but I really like what you did.  Makes life much easier from a body update standpoint, for sure!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

That's... kind of genius :)  I love it.  I don't know if I'll go that route (change is hard, and I already took the BoM/ new skinmaker plunge this week, LOL), but I really like what you did.  Makes life much easier from a body update standpoint, for sure!

Thanks. I started doing it this way a couple of years ago when I started making a lot of fantasy outfits with different skins, and when I switched to Maitreya and started gender-shifting I also needed different skins for non-fantasy settings too; some more masculine and some more feminine. I wear a range of two or three different tones in each, depending on my mood and what hair colour I'm wearing on any particular day. So out of those 15 or so saved bodies, I wear at least half a dozen on a very regular basis.

However, the Gessami skins I picked up last week are my new favourites so I may find myself wearing just these two on a regular basis now.

What's interesting to me is that these skins are from at least four different makers, and yet whichever one I wear, I still always look like "me".

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

What's interesting to me is that these skins are from at least four different makers, and yet whichever one I wear, I still always look like "me".

I was super worried about that with my skin shopping, but with the exception of one store's demos, which gave me a bit of a "duck face" shading to my lips (beautiful skin otherwise), I still looked like me as well.

When I was going around shopping for my husband's alt, I was trying to find him something a bit more mature looking, just for grins... and every skin I tried on him, bar none, utterly changed his look.  It was pretty impressive, actually.

The alt ended up identical to Syn, just as mine are either identical -- or nearly so, the redheaded version notwithstanding -- to me.  Makes things entertaining when he and I take them out with us 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

I was super worried about that with my skin shopping, but with the exception of one store's demos, which gave me a bit of a "duck face" shading to my lips (beautiful skin otherwise), I still looked like me as well.

I think it's primarily because two things I never change; my shape and my mesh head. These two together seem to make the biggest contribution to the way I look. 

Then again, I have some other skins (which I don't like) that make me look completely different. My Flamboyant skins for example, come in a fatpack with a choice of six different faces. Only one of those looks like me, the others I don't wear at all. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

I think it's primarily because two things I never change; my shape and my mesh head. These two together seem to make the biggest contribution to the way I look. 

Then again, I have some other skins (which I don't like) that make me look completely different. My Flamboyant skins for example, come in a fatpack with a choice of six different faces. Only one of those looks like me, the others I don't wear at all. 

I went skin shopping for my husband's alt, who is identical to Syn in both shape and body/head combo.  It was incredible how different some of the men's skins made him look... which is also why I was worried about going with a different skin maker.

Then again, I was testing more "aged" skins on his alt, so perhaps that's a reason why they were so distinctly different.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.