How to turn off auto typing?

Nagafusa Takeda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Basicly, I have a sort of RP/Utility hud that requires me to press certain letter keys to utilize some of the features, but whenever I press a letter key it just automaticly starts typing. I remember there was a way to turn off auto typing but I can't find it anywhere! 🤬

using firestorm by the way.

9 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, MissMagicCakes said:

Hi. this is not my problem and merely disables the typing animation. I need something to disable it automaticly starting to type in chat when I press a button like 'E'

in Linden viewer (same somewhere near in Firestorm)

menu: Me \ Preferences \ Move & View \ Keyboard \ Arrow keys always move me

WASDEC keys are mapped to the arrow/page keys when this option is on (checked)

edit: Uncheck this option to have WASDEC keys go to the chat box rather than act as movement controls

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

If you are in Firestorm (maybe the Linden viewer too) you can just uncheck the box about typing. 

Since it has been a decade at least since I "typed" when talking -- I appreciated your post :D.

image.thumb.png.79809f902bd97a23707f65a44d464896.png

Hi. this is not my problem and merely disables the typing animation. I need something to disable it automaticly starting to type in chat when I press a button like 'E'

Regardless of your viewer settings, if a chat or IM window has the "focus" (that is, you clicked on that window and the text cursor is present) then typing on your keyboard will type text in the window.

To remove the "focus" from the chat or IM window and get it back to the main UI, hit ESC a time or two.  Then hit your keys for your HUD.

Also, take a look at Chic's screenshot again:

On 1/10/2020 at 10:58 PM, Chic Aeon said:

image.thumb.png.79809f902bd97a23707f65a44d464896.png

Try checking the LAST box in the list, "Deselect chat after sending a message", and its sub-box, "De-focus chat history as well".  This may reduce the number of times you'll need to hit ESC manually.

5 minutes ago, IvyTechEngineer said:

I am using Opensim and FireStorm and trying to fly. I thought flying was controlled by "E" and "C" but instead the E and C showup in the nearby chat window. How do I turn off the nearby chat?

Thanks

From one of the above answers:

On 1/11/2020 at 10:05 AM, Chic Aeon said:

Maybe this?

image.png.c96f35e34a4618ad8af93f3128d49a3d.png

Check the setting Moira suggests. Note that now, your letter keys are used for BOTH typing text and for controlling movement. "How does the viewer know which one is wanted, Lindal?" you ask. The answer is, FOCUS.

When your cursor is in a window, that window has the focus. For example, you can select inventory when your cursor is in that window. If the communication window has the focus, you can select a person to talk to, click in the text entry area, and type text to them. (Keep this in mind, we'll come back to it in a minute.)

To make sure your main screen has the focus, hit ESC a couple of times.  THEN hit your movement letter keys to move your avatar. It's that simple.

Now, a minor point. You can choose what happens when, after typing some text in chat or IM, you hit Enter. Either it will automatically restore focus to the main window, allowing you to then use the letter keys for movement, or you can choose for the chat window to retain the focus. I prefer the latter. With the former, I'm always finishing a comment, and then leaping up into the air when I try to type the next line. See the picture below for where to control that setting.

Capture.PNG.74920c00dcd97c001d095a8487545b75.PNG

Edited by Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.