When is mesh coming?

Kylie Jaxxon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Has anyone heard if mesh is going to be brought in soon? or how long until it's implemented?  I've been wanting to buy a new horse, but have heard people say to hold off...any ideas?

ETA:  Thanks everyone...I'm taking PeeWee's advice :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

9 answers to this question

Well, nobody know's anything exactly. But fact is that currently only about 20% use Viewer 2. If they release Mesh now, you get the hen-egg-problem: Nobody will produce mesh stuff because there's only few people around that can actually use it and if there's no mesh stuff to buy nobody will switch to hated Viewer 2.

Aside from Ansariel's answer, which is a good one, I hear that there are also unresolved questions regarding how to count mesh objects against a sim's total prim allotment and how much to charge creators to upload a mesh object.  Issues like that can make a big difference to sim performance and might have unfortunate economic implications if they aren't thought though very carefully before launch.  My guess is that LL isn't eager to screw up.

• Like 1

The word from the Linden PR machine is that we will have an answer by the end of this month. We will have more details on mesh and a roll out date.

Several people here have made good speculations. But, they are speculations. I predicted in my blog that we might see mesh this or next month, another speculation. But, this week they are changing the mesh object's data format. The reason given is performance. As they can study and analyze mesh on the ADITI grid, they find performance bottle necks. Apparently they found some that could only be fixed if they changed the format. So, they are doing that.

The format change is like moving from a round peg to a square one. All the holes it must fit in have to change. So, there is a lot to change. Hopefully by the end of next week those changes will be complete and modelers will be testing the changes in ADITI.

If you have not been to ADITI, it is worth a trip to see the new mesh stuff.

If you want to follow Mesh Devlopement, read http://blog.nalates.net/

• Like 1

Just a twist in the tail from me here and a thought based on other comments.. IF LL are waiting to see a up turn in V2 users to roll out the MESH plan... What if those of us that are not looking to re-invest countless amounts of money to re-invent ourselves as MESH AV's...  IF no one takes up V2 and the only way the V1 viewers will stop working is if the release of MESH happens...  Wouldn't it be more practical fo rthise of us that dont have that abundence to cash to not to switch to the latest viewer?

And if it does go to MESH... wait until almost everything stops and give up on SL and save our hard earned cash, rather than lose whatr we have... spend it all again and then loose it all again in god knows how many years to aid the economy of yet another LL project?

At the end of the day we are paying to have a SL and LL are in some ways taking the choice out of what we do...  We either switch to MESH at some point and spend X amount of cash OR see random squares and circles that were things or people..  Nothing like having your back against a wall I say and a gun to your head for those of us that enjoy SL..

Maybe I wont switch to a V2 viewer and be one of the 80% that havent ;)

@ Jester,

Your facts are inaccurate. It does not cost any money to view mesh, you just need to be on a V2 style Viewer.

You will not need to change your avatar or anything else if you don`t want to.

80% of users are not still using V1 & in fact a lot of diehard V1 users have finally switched to V2 using Firestorm, which offers them ways to make V2 more like V1.

You will be able to continue using V1 viewers if you choose to, but aside fromnot being able to view mesh content, other functions may cease to work, such as profiles & search.

The only people that would need to upgrade their computers are those that have CPU without SSE2, as that is needed for mesh & to be able to run V2 viewers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.