How to get things from Blender into SL?

AnnHerrick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm trying to learn Blender, and I got a mesh object into it, exported it to the COLLADA format, and then tried to upload it to SL with the Build menu, and SL will go to the file on disk, but it's grayed out and I cannot load it. Why not? A friend tells me I have to be certified to do it and I think that's nuts. If that's true how does one get certified, and why must one?

I thought someone would know, and I don't appreciate your reply. You might have just said look in the knowledge base, thank you!

Oh, and the knowledge base does not tell me how to deal with a file name that is grayed out. That's the real question.

Have an acceptable day.

Edited by AnnHerrick
  • Like 1

It's not all that hard to find:

And you can even find exactly what you are asking for:

Prerequisites

Before you can upload mesh objects, you must:

• Have payment information on file. You can add payment information by visiting the Billing Information section of your Second Life account page.
  • Have accepted the IP terms on your account page.  If you are planning to use the beta grid (Aditi), you must also accept the IP terms there, but do not need payment information on file.
  • Have at least one compatible COLLADA (.dae) file on your computer. You can create your own by using most popular 3D software packages, or, if you have the appropriate rights, you can download models created by other 3D artists from online repositories. Try our sample content page for a free model if you're just getting started.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rolig, I have the file on my computer, but cannot upload it as it's grayed out and will not open in SL Build. I'm not sure why. I have payment information on file. I believe you have hit on my problem, as I have yet to accept the IP terms, and I'll read them and do that now. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

That is odd.  If it's a *.dae file, you should be able to use Build >> Upload >> Model ... If you aren't already using the standard LL viewer, be sure to try that before you panic.  It may just take a little while for the system to recognize that you have leapt through the proper hoops.

I'm using Firestorm, being that the Linden viewer was not suitable, slow and buggy. I have to believe that Firestorm users are able to do this. I should not have to use the Linden viewer for this. The menus are there in Build. Why it won't work I have no idea. I'm in the Builders Brewery group and asked them but then someone else butted in with their question and took over the thread. I might have to give up on this.

I'm glad.  Incidentally, the reasons that I recommended trying the standard LL viewer are (1) it's often more reliable for uploading mesh than the Firestorm viewer (read posts in this forum about that .. ) and (2) whenever you have problems with a menu function, it's a good idea to verify that it's not an artifact of the viewer itself and (3) if you ever need to submit a support case to ask LL for help, they won't touch your issue unless you can verify that it's a problem on their own viewer.

Anyway, I'm glad things settled down and are working for you now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'm glad.  Incidentally, the reasons that I recommended trying the standard LL viewer are (1) it's often more reliable for uploading mesh than the Firestorm viewer (read posts in this forum about that .. ) and (2) whenever you have problems with a menu function, it's a good idea to verify that it's not an artifact of the viewer itself and (3) if you ever need to submit a support case to ask LL for help, they won't touch your issue unless you can verify that it's a problem on their own viewer.

Anyway, I'm glad things settled down and are working for you now.

Agreed that support will not listen if it isn't the Linden viewer but I believe the "try LL viewer to upload" suggestion isn't as valid as it used to be. Firestorm had a funraiser about a year ago (maybe more I am not sure) to raise money to get equal with the Linden viewer for mesh uploads. Actually for Features FS has much more :D.   Sure FS group knows the details. I haven't had any problematic mesh upload issues in what seems like forever -- and that is a great thing. 

• Like 2

Okay, so now I can get things from Blender into SL, usually, but I learned how to make a table leg today with a lathe operation, and it will not upload, something about missing required level of detail. Could that be because it's hollow? How do I give it the required level of detail? Can't figure that out. Spent all day trying to learn Blender and it's been a challenge.

Blender table leg.png

Missing detail.png

Edited by AnnHerrick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.