Script Errors...

FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's impossible to know how to answer without peering into the script.  The message you are getting is a basic LSL error message, telling you that the label that you are trying to put on one of the buttons in your dialog is too long.  It's not necessarily the name of the anim that you just added.  Without looking to see where your script gets button labels (or how it constructs them), we really can't guess.  Again, this is not really what this forum is here for.  This is a place for scripters to share ideas with each others and moan about why their own scripts don't behave.  

Okies...just thought I'd finish here what the actual script error is...but to use the debug setting could lead to loss of inventory....that doesn't sound like a very good idea.

Okay, I will go it alone.

1 minute ago, NeoBokrug Elytis said:

That is not at all true.

Probably.  As Qie said earlier, though, a no mod script is a black box.  Like Neo, I cannot imagine why anyone would write a script that could delete inventory if you change a debug setting. It's not one of those things that I would usually dream of worrying about.  The fact that the scripter bothered to make that notation, though, does raise the faint possibility that he's done something that he thinks might cause you to lose inventory.  You might as well be cautious (unless the inventory items are copiable, in which case, give it a shot).

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Probably.  As Qie said earlier, though, a no mod script is a black box.  Like Neo, I cannot imagine why anyone would write a script that could delete inventory if you change a debug setting. It's not one of those things that I would usually dream of worrying about.  The fact that the scripter bothered to make that notation, though, does raise the faint possibility that he's done something that he thinks might cause you to lose inventory.  You might as well be cautious (unless the inventory items are copiable, in which case, give it a shot).

We were posting at the same time.   I believe it's a no mod script but it's not open source so it wouldn't be right for me to post it here.

It says loss of data not inventory.  I took a screenshot...it's posted above.

I dunno what to do....I feel like scraping the whole project.  

But, really I just feel like scraping this whole project because it has so many problems and I don't understand why.   Why is it (the animation system) okay in full perm furniture but not with a copy/mod item I am trying to modify to have sits in it.  

Edited by FairreLilette

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

Okay...it says this...which did not seem too appealing a thing to try...

Oh, THAT?  That's just the standard LL blanket warning that appears whenever you use the Debug Settings in your viewer.  Indeed, messing with some settings is risky, so the message is there to keep people from blindly clicking at things that can't be undone if they cause disasters.  Mostly, LL doesn't want people whining that it's the Lab's fault that they screwed things up by using Debug Settings.  You're not proposing to play with any debug setting that deals with inventory, though.  If you know exactly what setting you need to adjust, and why, you are probably safe.  Just set it back to whatever it was if you don't like the result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, THAT?  That's just the standard LL blanket warning that appears whenever you use the Debug Settings in your viewer.  Indeed, messing with some settings is risky, so the message is there to keep people from blindly clicking at things that can't be undone if they cause disasters.  Mostly, LL doesn't want people whining that it's the Lab's fault that they screwed things up by using Debug Settings.  You're not proposing to play with any debug setting that deals with inventory, though.  If you know exactly what setting you need to adjust, and why, you are probably safe.  Just set it back to whatever it was if you don't like the result.

Yeah that...it doesn't sound like a very pleasant thing to try that debug setting and I don't know what I need to do as I've never used the Debug Settings before.

I am going to use a prim box I had some animations in and then add these new animations into the box.  The box is more or less a full perm item (a prim box I mean by just rezzing one out of the SL tools).  And, then I can either attach the animation box to the object and/or just leave it hovering over the object rather than putting the animation system into a copy/mod or mod/transfer item itself.    

That should work.  Why these copy/mod or mod/transfer items are so touchy and so full of script errors when I try to modify them...I have no idea.   So, I'll use a box with animations and the animation system in it, and then just turn the box to transparent...that way I over-ride the objects altogether.   

Thanks for your time!  

Edited by FairreLilette

7 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

So, I'll use a box with animations and the animation system in it, and then just turn the box to transparent

when doing furniture animations a lot then I do this way myself, as it can save a lot of time setting up the animations. As like you say the animation prim can be linked to any furniture prop of same-ish type, Bed animation prim, chair animation prim, etc

this can cost 0.5 to 1.0 LI extra, which is I find to be a reasonable price to pay for the ease of use and convenience

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

But what was the script error... 😭

We got that a bit earlier (colour-coded emphases mine):

11 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Okay, I got the script error message.

It's this:

llDialog: button labels must be 24 or fewer characters long

Okay, I am putting scripts in non full perm furniture.  However, when I do this with non full perm furniture, I get script error messages.  

Now, I had already put about 7 sits in a non full perm chair.  The chair was working fine until just now when I put another sit in it and the script error keeps going off no matter what I do and then it looked like something about debug setting but that debug setting comes with a warning that you could lose inventory if used.  

And the sit animation I just put in is less than 24 characters long so I don't even know why this error is going off nor what it's about?  It happens a lot with non full perm furniture...these script error message.

I am using a sitting system I use all the time with full perm furniture so I know how to use the animation script system.  

I'm not sure if re-logging will make it go away but I'll try.

But, it is concerning to me because I don't want to lose inventory to use the debug setting.  

So what we learned here is that the error is the common new-scripter error that button label text is exceeding 24 characters, specific to one animation, but the added animation has a less than 24 character name. What we do not know is how the script concocts button labels, nor which buttons are being labelled when the error is generated. Maybe it hangs extra characters onto the button label sometimes, or maybe it's doing something altogether unrelated to animations, yet triggered by adding an animation.

In my experience, most animation systems do not simply use the anim name itself in button labels, but rather some other text supplied in the configuration notecard, but I have no clue with this system. So if that's not a thing for this system or if we're sure there can be nothing wrong with that notecard, at this point I'd probably remove the animation that triggered the error message and the one added just before that, make sure the error goes away, then try adding them back in the reverse order. If the error message recurs right away when adding that same anim, I'd look for anything at all about that animation and its notecard specification that's different from others; might be name, might be something else.

In any case, it's right to call this a bug in the animation system. This particular error should never be able to be triggered by a user under any circumstances. If this system has anybody supporting it, they should be informed of the problem. The steps above may identify a workaround -- and they may help in composing a coherent bug report for the system maintainer.

There are a couple things that seem unrelated to the problem, but keep coming up, first the permissions on the furniture being created. Unless this animation system is making different button labels based on permissions (which seems unlikely), I really think the different permissions are only coincidentally related to the problem. If the very same animations using the very same configuration notecard don't cause the same error in a full-perm object, the animation system is doing something very strange indeed.

Second: What's prompting the change of viewer Debug Settings here? Could it be that documentation for the animation system is talking about some product-specific debugging flag used in the configuration notecard or somehow? Or... well, how did the idea arise to change the viewer's Debug Settings? I mean, they're fine to experiment with in general, but I can't think of any of those settings that would help at all in debugging this script's behaviour.

15 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

In my experience, most animation systems do not simply use the anim name itself in button labels, but rather some other text supplied in the configuration notecard, but I have no clue with this system.

My mistake: Sorry I didn't catch this earlier (I eschew YouTube instructional videos) but apparently this animation system does simply use the animation name to generate the pose dialog button labels, at least according to the glimpse of configuration notecard in the product instructional video. That sets us back to wondering what the heck the script is trying to do when it blows past 24 characters on some button in some dialog. On the other hand, the product comes with a "complete instructions manual" that might provide a clue -- or not.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

My mistake: Sorry I didn't catch this earlier (I eschew YouTube instructional videos) but apparently this animation system does simply use the animation name to generate the pose dialog button labels, at least according to the glimpse of configuration notecard in the product instructional video. That sets us back to wondering what the heck the script is trying to do when it blows past 24 characters on some button in some dialog. On the other hand, the product comes with a "complete instructions manual" that might provide a clue -- or not.

I am not even sure what the other script errors read as but there have been a lot (now I know how to read them) - yet the errors are not even true as I know the animation I was trying to add was not more than 24 characters long as this was the name of the animation:  aTiny Sit.  

I almost thought it was a griefer...but it seems to be some kind of bug I guess with copy/mod or mod/transfer items when I try to put the animation system in them.

I'm just going to over-ride these "bugs" by putting the animations and animations system in a box and then setting the box to transparency and the invisible box will work the sits rather than the copy/mod or mod/transfer item itself.  

It's been a long time since I bought this product but I don't think there are instructions with it...the instructions are on a YouTube tutorial.  

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.