When two heads aren't better than one...

Kia Kiyori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok so a skin creator friend and I are sitting here - she's happily playing with BoM and it works beautifully for her.

So then I decide to give it a go ... but what I end up with is two heads with what can only be described as a giant mop of 'nappy brown gorilla hair' on top of the lot (system head + Genus head).

No, I'm not wearing a single alpha.

Yes, I'm using the latest up-to-date FS viewer.

Yes, I pressed the Maitreya BOM thing - the body side of things works just fine.

Yes, the Genus omega installer thingy is installed.

So it's just the head, which is the stuff of nightmares to look at atm. Ah well, I guess it is halloween, after all.

Edited by AnyaJurelle

35 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Ok so a skin creator friend and I are sitting here - she's happily playing with BoM and it works beautifully for her.

So then I decide to give it a go ... but what I end up with is two heads with what can only be described as a giant mop of 'nappy brown gorilla hair' on top of the lot (system head + Genus head).

No, I'm not wearing a single alpha.

Yes, I'm using the latest up-to-date FS viewer.

Yes, I pressed the Maitreya BOM thing - the body side of things works just fine.

So it's just the head, which is the stuff of nightmares to look at atm. Ah well, I guess it is halloween, after all.

Ya, it's a mess.  It's not really ready for mass release yet, as none of the skin suppliers have any information available apart from 'soon'.

('Soon' - a four letter word in Second Life)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

Ya, it's a mess.  It's not really ready for mass release yet, as none of the skin suppliers have any information available apart from 'soon'.

('Soon' - a four letter word in Second Life)

It's not skin creators; they're ahead of the game and ready to go. I think all we're waiting on is a few head creators to get their heads updated. In the meantime, I'm still searching for the answer as to why my system head and genus head are both showing when I try to use bom.

1 hour ago, AnyaJurelle said:

The Maitreya BoM relay only switches the Maitreya Lara body to BoM, nothing else.  And the Genus omega installer is not a BoM relay.  So you need to find a BoM relay for your Genus head.

Edited by Tarani Tempest
clarity

3 minutes ago, Tarani Tempest said:

The Maitreya BoM relay only switches the Maitreya Lara body to BoM, nothing else.  And the Genus omega installer is not a BoM relay.  So you need to find a BoM relay for your Genus head.

Yes, I've got that already - it's what my skin creator friend made sure I had. 

1 minute ago, Tarani Tempest said:

Then you are using a relay for Omega based heads... I am guessing?  Make sure you did actually install omega on your Genus, they do not come ready to go.... you must use the installer.

Yes ma'am. We checked and double checked all of that until I'm fed up with the whole sorry mess haha

I have a Genus , and so far switching it to BoM has worked with no problem.   Somehow there is a step being missed here.  The Genus absolutely must have the omega installed before you this will work... make sure you can apply an omega eyeliner or something....?  I don't know.  🤷‍♀️

6 minutes ago, Tarani Tempest said:

I have a Genus , and so far switching it to BoM has worked with no problem.   Somehow there is a step being missed here.  The Genus absolutely must have the omega installed before you this will work... make sure you can apply an omega eyeliner or something....?  I don't know.  🤷‍♀️

Culprit discovered, problem solved. I wasn't aware that the Baked Mesh thing is now v1.1 - the one I had was v1.0.

• Like 1

It's not skin creators; they're ahead of the game and ready to go. I think all we're waiting on is a few head creators to get their heads updated. In the meantime, I'm still searching for the answer as to why my system head and genus head are both showing when I try to use bom.

Yes it is Skin Creators.  There is No, as in ZERO information on the vendors in world on in MP to tell you if they include a system layer for BoM.

6 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

Yes it is Skin Creators.  There is No, as in ZERO information on the vendors in world on in MP to tell you if they include a system layer for BoM.

Ok your comments so far aren't even remotely associated with the subject matter, but I'll reply for the last time anyway.

If a product doesn't specify 'BoM' -  then clearly BoM isn't included - and regular skin appliers still work perfectly fine as they've always done.

BoM is still very new -  it should neither be expected nor demanded that every creator have an entire range of BoM skins at your disposal just because it's officially a thing now. 

When each new bento head is released, do all skin creators instantly have an entire range ready? Are you even aware of how much work goes into creating a skin? It takes time.

You'll know if a skin is 'BoM' or not; the vendor ads will say so - that's if people even bother to read the descriptions, that is.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Ok your comments so far aren't even remotely associated with the subject matter, but I'll reply for the last time anyway.

If a product doesn't specify 'BoM' -  then clearly BoM isn't included - and regular skin appliers still work perfectly fine as they've always done.

BoM is still very new -  it should neither be expected nor demanded that every creator have an entire range of BoM skins at your disposal just because it's officially a thing now. 

When each new bento head is released, do all skin creators instantly have an entire range ready? Are you even aware of how much work goes into creating a skin? It takes time.

You'll know if a skin is 'BoM' or not; the vendor ads will say so - that's if people even bother to read the descriptions, that is.

Glad you agree there is no information out there.  It says in the availability thread in this forum that xyz has BoM stuff, but there is no way of knowing which stuff.  I know exactly how much time and effort goes into product design and manufacture.  It's the marketing I am complaining about.

Suggest you take a good look at this vendor pic - see what it says in the top right?

Glam Affair - LALA For Belle

It's still not totally clear what is included in that skin.

1. "Lelutka Mesh Head Applier" skin. Ok, that's clear. Everybody will understand that.
but
2. "System Skin Included". Question arises: Is the system skin for the head only, or is it actually a full system skin - for head and body?
 - - because we are used to the fact that a system skin indeed is a full skin for head and body.

It's pretty obvious that there will be lots of confusion, gnashing of teeth and weeping over this matter. :/ 
Hopefully the skin creators will start to state clearly what exactly is included in their skin packs.

57 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

It's still not totally clear what is included in that skin.

1. "Lelutka Mesh Head Applier" skin. Ok, that's clear. Everybody will understand that.
but
2. "System Skin Included". Question arises: Is the system skin for the head only, or is it actually a full system skin - for head and body?
 - - because we are used to the fact that a system skin indeed is a full skin for head and body.

It's pretty obvious that there will be lots of confusion, gnashing of teeth and weeping over this matter. :/ 
Hopefully the skin creators will start to state clearly what exactly is included in their skin packs.

No doubt you're quite right, but that's not what this thread was about.

Would suggest perhaps starting a new thread dealing with the wailing and gnashing of teeth over whether or not body appliers will be included (and I have absolutely no idea how that works anyway), but given that BoM is a thing now, I'm guessing it's a marketable point on it's own and one that every skin creator will more than likely want to note in their vendor ads.

On 10/7/2019 at 4:03 PM, AnyaJurelle said:

what can only be described as a giant mop of 'nappy brown gorilla hair'

That's the fugly old system hair. I've just had this discussion with my fellow Catwa CSRs and we've come up with a quick-paste that we'll use in group whenever anyone asks about it, which is as follows -

A brow shaper and a bald base are the same thing. If you edit yours you'll see that 'eyebrows' and 'style' (for the hairstyle) are separate tabs on it, just like 'torso' and 'legs' are separate tabs on your body shape. When we only had system heads we had to set the head hair sliders in the 'style' tab to zero so we didn't see the horrible default hair. That's why - back then - they were called 'bald caps' or 'bald bases'. Then - when mesh heads became popular - everyone wore alpha layers to hide their whole head. The 'bald cap' part was no longer needed, so many creators just changed the brow sliders, which is why they became 'brow shapers'. Now we're removing our alpha layers to make BOM work, we're seeing which creators only set the brow sliders and forgot the bald cap!

The critical bit is the bold text. What we now call a 'brow shaper' is what was once - pre mesh head - called a 'bald base' or 'bald cap'. The 'style' tab of the old system hair is where we used to set the 'volume' slider to zero in order to hide that awful system hair. But then - when people started wearing full alpha layers to completely hide their system head altogether - some creators stopped bothering to edit the 'volume' slider to zero, focusing instead only on changing the 'eyebrow' slider settings to edit the brow's shape under the mesh of a Bento head. Many other creators applied the other solution, which is to change the system hair texture to a fully transparent one.

BOM requires us to remove our alpha layers, so now some of us are seeing that horrible hair again, and we're discovering which creators got a bit lazy and didn't change that volume slider or turn the system hair transparent! To fix it (assuming your brow shaper is modifiable) all you need to do is edit it, go into the 'style' tab, find the 'volume' slider, pull it down to zero, and save. Alternatively, you can change the texture to a transparent one (there's one in your inventory library).

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.