Jump to content
  • 0
Velk Kerang

Anyone know how to set up media on Ubuntu 18.04?

Question

Anyone know how to set up media on Ubuntu 18.04? Got GStreamer 0.10 and all, but I still get a message saying this plug in is not supported every time I go to try and play a movie on the tv in world. I've tried about every fix I ran across via Google and still nothing seems to work. I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

This is a feature of Linux, designed to protect you from wasting your time by watching too much television.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

This is a feature of Linux, designed to protect you from wasting your time by watching too much television.

Ya that was lot's of help. lol I suppose I was about due and had that coming after years of messing with my friends giving those type of answers like your computer doesn't like you when they initially ask me for my help. lol So you must be Karma. Nice to meet you I am Velk. lol ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Unfortunately, Linden Lab does not provide a Linux version of the standard viewer.  They did, until two or three years ago, but there are so many versions of Linux out there that it was more trouble than it was worth to keep their Linux viewer current and compatible.  Because the viewer code is open source, you can try to modify it yourself.  Not many people who usually answer questions in this forum are familiar enough with Linux to be much help, though, I'm afraid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 10/5/2019 at 2:26 PM, Velk Kerang said:

Ya that was lot's of help. lol I suppose I was about due and had that coming after years of messing with my friends giving those type of answers like your computer doesn't like you when they initially ask me for my help. lol So you must be Karma. Nice to meet you I am Velk. lol ;)

Nice to meet you, too!  Sorry I was flip...I don't use Linux, and when I have absolutely no idea what help to offer, smart remarks often pop out.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 10/8/2019 at 11:54 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

Nice to meet you, too!  Sorry I was flip...I don't use Linux, and when I have absolutely no idea what help to offer, smart remarks often pop out.

No worries. It's all good. lol It was a good and funny comment. Thanks for the laugh. lol ;)

On 10/9/2019 at 10:15 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Have yopu already worked through this wiki page?  https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_media

If this doesn't help, please can you give a media URL that's failing to play for you on Linux.  Thanks!

I did and I followed it to this page here. https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/firestorm_in_64-bit_ubuntu_1804

I even redid a lot of those steps again to try and see if I missed anything. I don't have a specific link per say, but these are the two tv's I am having issues with.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/XCONTROL-TV-FLATSCREENMOVIES-TV-SERIES-LIVESTREAM-AND-MORE/5309677

And.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/VEA-3-Media-Video-Television-Movies-Youtube-Shoutcast-Radio/1792408

Now I have no problem playing Youtube videos, but when I go in to play actual movies I get a message saying plug in not installed. I do have a Windows partition I keep for competitive games that require the use of anti cheat software such as Fortnite for example (Yes, feel free to poke fun I done went and got hooked on the Fortnite. lol :P) and SL is installed there as well too so it's not a big issue or anything. It's just super annoying sometimes to have to swap out my OS if the SL family wants to do a movie night. lol I have predominately been doing most of my mmo gaming on Linux now days. So I am mainly curious if there is something I have overlooked. At this point I can't really think of anything. Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Just posting a follow up. I tested two other viewers Singularity which was my back up viewer for when I needed an FPS boost in some areas that I rarely use anymore due to it not being updated any longer and can't really render your avatar with it anymore and Cool Viewer which I recently tested. Both viewers have the same issue with media as on Firestorm. So I know it's not a Firestorm issue. Not that I ever thought it was. It's definitely a plug in issue so I do want to point that out. May even be a Linux issue in general for all I know. lol :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Velk Kerang said:

Just posting a follow up. I tested two other viewers Singularity which was my back up viewer for when I needed an FPS boost in some areas that I rarely use anymore due to it not being updated any longer and can't really render your avatar with it anymore and Cool Viewer which I recently tested. Both viewers have the same issue with media as on Firestorm. So I know it's not a Firestorm issue. Not that I ever thought it was. It's definitely a plug in issue so I do want to point that out. May even be a Linux issue in general for all I know. lol :D

There are ongoing updates. Sing even has BoM now. But, you have to get the nightly or alpha builds, which is what most Singularity users run now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
13 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

There are ongoing updates. Sing even has BoM now. But, you have to get the nightly or alpha builds, which is what most Singularity users run now.

Ah ok. I see where I made my mistake. I been going to the main Alpha builds page directly which is here.

http://alpha.singularityviewer.org/alpha/

I have the last update for that which was a year ago. After you said that though I went and booked it straight over to the main page and noticed they finally updated it. More then likely I just got caught up and didn't think to check the main site for some time. It looks like it is their Nightly builds that have been the ones getting the updating. I am not even sure what that means as I have only ever seen that term used once on the Radegast web site. lol That's awesome though that puts me back in business when I am hitting neighborhoods with high mesh builds all over the place. Thank you so much for that. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I got a follow up question on this thread. An alternative solution actually that may or may not work. Has anyone or does anyone know how to set up a viewer and what libraries you'd need with PlayOnLinux? I tried and added the usual libraries I normally do for other games, but I have an issue getting flash installed and fonts are not showing up for some parts as they should. I am getting no time stamps what so ever in chat. So far I have tested this with Singularity's Nightly build. I wanted to make sure everything worked before I tried it with Firestorm. I've searched and so far found no clear instructions on how exactly to set this up. Only that people have set it up. I did notice an increase in fps so I was curious if I could set this up properly. So if anyone knows how I'd greatly appreciate the how to guide for dummies. lol Thanks in advance. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 11/4/2019 at 12:36 PM, Velk Kerang said:

I got a follow up question on this thread. An alternative solution actually that may or may not work. Has anyone or does anyone know how to set up a viewer and what libraries you'd need with PlayOnLinux? I tried and added the usual libraries I normally do for other games, but I have an issue getting flash installed and fonts are not showing up for some parts as they should. I am getting no time stamps what so ever in chat. So far I have tested this with Singularity's Nightly build. I wanted to make sure everything worked before I tried it with Firestorm. I've searched and so far found no clear instructions on how exactly to set this up. Only that people have set it up. I did notice an increase in fps so I was curious if I could set this up properly. So if anyone knows how I'd greatly appreciate the how to guide for dummies. lol Thanks in advance. ;)

You probably should post this question on the Firestorm JIRA or contact the Singularity people. There are few Linux users hanging in the forum. So, if you do want to stay with the forum, I suggest you make it a separate thread with LINUX in the title. The TECH->Viewers is probably the best part of the forum to ask for help.

You can search the ANSWERS section of the forum. Unfortunately most of those helping with answers are not Linux users. So, you are not likely to get an answer if you ask a Linux question. You have to hope you find a previous answer.

There are 84 Linux groups in-world. You might get help there.

The Open Development UG would be a good place to ask for help. Time and SLURL at link...

If you don't know, Linux is a pure open source third-party effort now. The Lab does not spend 'development' time on Linux as there are too few Linux users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

You probably should post this question on the Firestorm JIRA or contact the Singularity people. There are few Linux users hanging in the forum. So, if you do want to stay with the forum, I suggest you make it a separate thread with LINUX in the title. The TECH->Viewers is probably the best part of the forum to ask for help.

You can search the ANSWERS section of the forum. Unfortunately most of those helping with answers are not Linux users. So, you are not likely to get an answer if you ask a Linux question. You have to hope you find a previous answer.

There are 84 Linux groups in-world. You might get help there.

The Open Development UG would be a good place to ask for help. Time and SLURL at link...

If you don't know, Linux is a pure open source third-party effort now. The Lab does not spend 'development' time on Linux as there are too few Linux users.

Thanks. I'll probably do that. The only reason I posted on the forums is when I did a search I seen old threads where people mentioned they got it to work, but no one really ever said exactly how. lol :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...