Deploy Plans for the week of 2019-09-23

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Lots of info about the recent problems with scripts & rezzing here now: https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/263n6z6w1sp0

It's very useful information and I appreciate @Oz Linden's attention to this. I do however wonder whether this would be the best way to handle such a situation if something like this happened again.

Neo's suggestion of a rollback would be best, I think, because it affects stuff all over the grid; that may not have been evident at first, and at this point in the weekly calendar it may be operationally risky to start a rollback.

Supposing then that there won't be a rollback, I really think there needs to be a broader communication of the problem than just the grid status incident notice. I mean, that's not even a place I'd normally look when my scripts started misbehaving. Nor is this thread, normally -- I just happened to look here.

We could cross-post something on the LSL Scripting forum and catch a handful more befuddled scripters, but that does nothing for folks who are encountering problems with scripts in stuff they bought.

Seems to me, the potentially affected audience is pretty much everybody in SL, which would mean some kind of Message of the Day, I guess.

Or maybe that rollback isn't such a bad idea after all?

• Like 2

https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/dxmwmwk404q9

All regions rolling at 10PM PDT today.
Is this a rollback or a fix for the scripting bugs?

Also whoever writes those grid status posts didn't get the memo that Bluesteel  LeTigre, and Magnum are now dirty words & do not exist  :P

Edit:  https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/263n6z6w1sp0 confirms this is a rollback of all regions.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Thanks 2

On 9/27/2019 at 4:32 PM, Oz Linden said:

[...] this gets a bit geeky, but the better we all understand the same vocabulary, the better we'll be able to help each other to identify and solve problems...

• "Inventory" is a database of items either owned by an agent or inside an object. When you open the inventory floater or the content pane of the build floater, you're looking at that list. But the list does not contain the actual objects - it's essentially just a set of named pointers to the objects.
  • "Assets" are the actual objects. They're not stored in the inventory database, they're in a completely different (very large) data store of every object in all of Second Life.

The Inventory database is manipulated by talking to that database through the simulator.  If you move an item from your personal inventory to the contents of an object, for example, you're removing a row from your inventory and adding a row to the inventory of the object, but you're not actually moving any of the data for the object those rows point to.

Most Assets are accessed through the CDN (there are a few exceptions that are managed through the simulator for security reasons).

This is why it's important to understand what operations are "slow" (or have some other problem); some operations are just interacting with the Inventory database, some are interacting just with the Asset store, and others are doing both.

I didn't have any slow inventory operations during the weekend nor today, so far (I'm at SLT +8). Yesterday, as I do every other Sunday, I joined a fishing contest, which had me receiving and deleting a lot of items, and had no issues at all. Typically, I would have experienced several slow inventory operations a day...

As I didn't change any settings nor my routines (I kept doing all I usually do, and the way I do it), I guess there must have been some tweaking at your end — thank you so much for that.

1 hour ago, Phate Shepherd said:

Whoa... wait... what? Can regular users get grid scope experience keys that don't require end users to add them to their land?

A few were handed out while the Experience feature was in beta.

(Foolishly, at the time I chose not to convert my land scope Experience to grid scope -- RUE THE DAY! -- because it seemed it might be a little while before grid scope became generally available and I wanted to develop on something that would be available at launch. It never crossed my mind that grid scope Experiences would be mythically rare creatures lo these many years hence, with not a peep about when, how, or even if they'll ever be available again.)

On the plus side, I think one of my lowly land scope Experience apps would have noticed any disruption in the persistence of KVP storage, and I never saw that, so maybe whatever Neo saw was limited to grid scope.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Phate Shepherd said:

Whoa... wait... what? Can regular users get grid scope experience keys that don't require end users to add them to their land?

I think if you opted-in your regions and did a lot of beta testing and bug reporting for Experiences and only after everything was over, you were offered one.  For me at the time, Experiences was everything I wanted.  I am still a very heavy user of them to this day.  Ironically I just use my Experience on just my estate.

I think I heard within the last year, that LL was considering doling out more grid-scope keys, but for the life of me I can't remember who or where I heard that.

12 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

On the plus side, I think one of my lowly land scope Experience apps would have noticed any disruption in the persistence of KVP storage, and I never saw that, so maybe whatever Neo saw was limited to grid scope.

I think you may be right, I know of one other grid-scope thing that was affected.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NeoBokrug Elytis said:

I think if you opted-in your regions and did a lot of beta testing and bug reporting for Experiences and only after everything was over, you were offered one.  For me at the time, Experiences was everything I wanted.  I am still a very heavy user of them to this day.  Ironically I just use my Experience on just my estate.

I think I heard within the last year, that LL was considering doling out more grid-scope keys, but for the life of me I can't remember who or where I heard that.

I think you may be right, I know of one other grid-scope thing that was affected.

Well, crap. Missed out on experience beta and grandfathered regions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.