Second life disconnection every ten mins

Jacen Helix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I've not been able to get onto second life since last Oct which was in 2018, this problem started after my ISP BT sent us a new home hub to replace the old one.

So on second life I notice this when checking connection

Connection Ping time over 600 ms

Every ten mins I get cut off, forced offline to this pop up message.

Possible bad  connection or fire-sharing app

Problem basically is that SL disconnect every five to ten mintues after I log in and due to it I've not been able to play SL for months and months which is doing my head in.
Issues started as I mentioned in last Oct when BT broadband sent us a new router(Issue never happened on the old home hub, only the new one)
By the way I'm not running any "File sharing apps" in fact when using SL I hardly have anything else on in the background. Also tried using different viewers but the problem persists across all of them.

Read every tech support manual(Including that damn one from 2011 everyone recommends) and yes I've tried "Turning it off and on again" etc etc and every other babbys first tech support patronizing advice and I've done every fix people have mentioned, if it exists I've most likely tried it but nothing has fixed this issue. I've not been able to get onto second life for months and nobody has been helpful.

On the front of BT, I've asked them and they've been useless. We've had engineer after engineer out to check lines, fiber, broadband and they keep claiming everything is fine.
Connection type is wi-fi, used ethernet and I don't get the D/Cing with it but I can't use wired too much since the routers out in the hall and between the stairs(I can't put a trip wire across the stairs everytime I want to use SL*Plus no other line ports so can't move the router* :p )

It's getting annoying now, I shouldn't need to suffer months of not getting onto second this, this is utter bull now and I'm really reaching out for aid here.

Anyway thanks for hearing me out.

firestorm troubles.JPG

6 answers to this question

if it works when you cable it and doesn't work on wireless and the router is in another part of the building then you basically have to do what I did. (I didn't myself, a technician did. I am not BT but same problem) Get a drill and make some holes in the walls and put some cable in

What I don't get is why it worked fine on the older hub which was also a wireless connection. Also do streaming often and get good reception on wireless with it but maybe SL uses more resources connection wise I'm not that clued up on its inner workings.

Ping time is a measure of how long it takes a signal to run the distance between your computer and whatever is sending or receiving a signal on the other end -- the SL servers in San Francisco, in this case.  It's not uncommon to have a ping time as high as 200 msec or so in the UK, because you are considerably farther away than, say, I am in North America.  The greater the ping time, however, the more likely it is that your computer will be out of sync with the LL servers.  That's serious, because SL operates in real time, sending and receiving information 45 times a second so that your viewer is aware of what may have changed in the vicinity of your avatar.  All environmental information and all information about the behavior of other avatars around you is dynamic, so if the millisecond updates are taking too long to travel, you will experience lag, difficulty teleporting, and ultimately disconnections.  Wifi can make the problem worse, so you really should avoid it if you can.  You can't do much about distance, but your ISP can do some things internally to route your signal more efficiently.  If you do a tracert test to see where the slowest nodes in the path to the LL servers is, they may be able to use that information to help.  

5 hours ago, Jacen Helix said:

What I don't get is why it worked fine on the older hub which was also a wireless connection. Also do streaming often and get good reception on wireless with it but maybe SL uses more resources connection wise I'm not that clued up on its inner workings.

The tech in hubs changes. The chips in the hubs change. That they changed it out means you got something different. This different doesn't work as well for you.

Did they go cheaper one and give you hub with less broadcast power? Less receive sensitivity? Look up the online reviews of the hub.

Newer hubs use the 5GHz frequency range. If you computer jumped over to the faster 5GHz channel, you might try changing back to the 2.4GHz. Its in the computer settings. 5GHz is much more sensitive to fluorescent lights and walls.Your connection may be fighting lots of local interference.2,4 is tougher and less sensitive, but slower.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.