Is the new continent down?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1872 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, Nickola Martynov said:

I haven't been able to get to my home Wobbegong on the new continent for over half an hour. My friend can't get to her place on Abiatti either. The map is showing green dots there, yet I get the message that I don't have access to that region.

Apparently so. I relogged and tried various regions. 

There are MANY LESS green dots than normal so the ones you see in the areas that you can't get to may be "official" folks with special powers :D.   Just a hunch. I couldn't even get CLOSE to my place. Trying to finish up a project. I even ended up in the mass overflow area. I haven't been THERE for years. 

EDIT: I just noted that the FRIENDS list is empty when there are friends online so obviously something is amiss. 

Edited by Chic Aeon

1 minute ago, Nickola Martynov said:

Ok. It seems odd that the whole continent is down. 

It isn't actually down.  The various regions are all up and some people are there.  Folks just can't get in if they are not already there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nickola Martynov said:

Ok. It seems odd that the whole continent is down.  Thanks for replying.

It's actually not odd at all. It likely means some gateway between servers controlling that set of regions and the servers controlling older regions is down. Look for a cable somewhere by those machines in the back that's been chewed by a mouse... :P Or maybe just a gateway machine that's gone offline in some random crash.

I've told some of the REALLY odd reasons something like could happen that I saw in my early days working in tech at a NOC... but I've told them to too many people in RL and they're kinda specific... but just realize that... yeah some crazy stuff can happen... but issues like this can also be rather mundane - and taking out the whole region makes a LOT more sense than if just one sim got cut off.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

It's actually not odd at all. It likely means some gateway between servers controlling that set of regions and the servers controlling older regions is down. Look for a cable somewhere by those machines in the back that's been chewed by a mouse... :P Or maybe just a gateway machine that's gone offline in some random crash.

I've told some of the REALLY odd reasons something like could happen that I saw in my early days working in tech at a NOC... but I've told them to too many people in RL and they're kinda specific... but just realize that... yeah some crazy stuff can happen... but issues like this can also be rather mundane - and taking out the whole region makes a LOT more sense than if just one sim cut got off.

The new continent is set up as a separate estate and Linden Lab is the estate owner, so they can presumably open and close access to it like any estate owner can. Why is another question...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The new continent is set up as a separate estate and Linden Lab is the estate owner, so they can presumably open and close access to it like any estate owner can. Why is another question...

That actually makes it make even more sense that the whole region gets locked as a unit. As in, wouldn't even have to be a network error between servers - just as simple as them flipping a toggle on whatever system they used to manage the servers, on purpose.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1872 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.