copying instant messages and sharing them

pghreaper Wopat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1 hour ago, SoniaVileva said:

Thank you for your opinion, but I still think it is better to have someone from LL to answer this. What you are suggesting, does not make sense.

If you would like clarification on anything in the TOS, I'd suggest you open a Support ticket.  LL doesn't pay attention to every thread here in the forums and often won't answer many questions here anyway.

• Thanks 1

Can you show me where it was being said which covers ALL conversations without the context of personal information?

Even the rule being quoted here state very clearly that there are exceptions and conditions.  I do agree that if someone sends you a private IM addressed only to you, it should not be shared without your permission, but you have to be allowed to monitor it, in order to respond to it.   I am more interested in the interpretation of this particular rule in the context of public discussion as the original question also refers to local chat.

So if we use this public discussion in this forum here as an example, I believe that personal information is 'protected' under this ToS rule, since this forum uses username that can be traced back inside SL.

From this, if someone shares personal information to reveal the RL identity of anyone here in this forum, I believe it will be a violation too. But if you are quoting what I said publicly in this forum, I don't think you need to ask my permission. (as no one did here when they quote since it does not contain any personal information) So, I think the context and conditions matter, they are not loopholes, they are necessary to facilitate discussions.

Anyway, this is only my worthless opinion, I think a support ticket can be helpful.

Edited by SoniaVileva

23 hours ago, SoniaVileva said:

I also think the word "remote' is redundant.

They refer to scripted objects that will forward chat happening in on place on the grid to someone in another place on the grid - whether known or not ("not" meaning the spy tools).

Hahaha, What @Lindal Kidd says. ~crawls under her desk and focusses on productive work for a change~

Edited by Alyona Su

I will read "the remote monitoring, posting or sharing of conversations without a participant’s consent are prohibited."  where conversations here refer to conversations that contain participant's personal information. Otherwise, it does not make sense to have local chat.

I also think the word "remote' is redundant. Or I will rewrite it like this: "collecting and sharing participant's personal information without participant's consents are prohibited."

But I am not a lawyer! LOL Someone from LL should answer this question.

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Which applies to the ToS and community standards.  It does NOT apply to what some a.s s.hat puts in their profile.

well then i guess you wont be messageing me in the game ,good enough said

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Oh no .. now everyone knows they can message you, assume that you're sharing conversations and then report you for it.

Good Luck !

you either cant read properly or dont undersand english, i said in my last post i guess you WONT  BE  messageing me. which part of wont be didnt you understand

• Haha 1

Just now, Tera Jules said:

In part you are correct, no where does it say your profile has to be read,in that you are right , but it does say you can copy / paste for protection ( which i take to mean to dispute lies told about you/slander, and i have copy pasted a few times to prove what the other person said and that they were lying) but community guidlines does say if it is in your profile that you copy paste conversations it is the same as T.O.S  i forget the exact wording  but words to that effect,which means weather or not it is read it is allowed

informed consent is given in writeing as terms of service, where you argree to abide by the rules even if you dont read them,so in this case even if you dont read it if it is on the persons profile as it is on mine, and you message me ingame, you are giveing consent by messageing me.

• Confused 2

On 2/14/2021 at 12:25 PM, Doris Johnsky said:

I think if you simply retell the joke there's no issue.  If you copy and paste the IM including name it becomes sketchy. 

I believe the rule applies to passing information told to you that they believed should remain secret.  

i believe you could type it out yourself, which is another way to get around copy/pasteing, you can say that you typed it out yourself

33 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

No.  The only times you can use chat logs is WITH Linden Lab.  Community Guidelines does not say that anything pertaining to this in your profile is the same as ToS.  

Please get your information correct.  From Community Standards

Disclosure

Sharing personal information about other users, either directly or indirectly, without their consent—including, but not limited to, gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual orientation, alternate account names (including account statuses, such as whether it is on hold, suspended, or active), and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their user profile—is not allowed. Except for the purpose of reporting abuse or any violation of policies to Linden Lab, the remote monitoring, posting or sharing of conversations without a participant’s consent are prohibited.

Your choice to NOT read the ToS in no way releases you from following it.

YES  thats exactly what i said, even when you dont read it you still have to do it. or allow it.

from T.O.S PART 6

6. CONDUCT BY USERS OF THE SERVICE

You agree to abide by certain rules of conduct, including any applicable community standards for the portion of the Service you are using) and other rules prohibiting illegal and other practices that Linden Lab deems harmful.

You are solely responsible for your interaction with other users of the Service, whether online or offline. We are not responsible or liable for the conduct or content of any user. We reserve the right, but not the obligation, to monitor or become involved in disputes between you and other users.

Exercise common sense and your best judgment in your interactions with others (e.g. when you submit any personal or other information) and in all of your other online activities.

THEN it goes on to list what you cant do

i) Post, display, or transmit Content that violates any law or the rights of any third party, it is not against the law to post or copy/paste chat so that one does not count,

(ii) Impersonate any person or entity without their consent, or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation, or if you are an adult, impersonate a minor for the purpose of interacting with a minor using the Service; has nothing to do with copy/ppasteing

(iii) Stalk, harass, or engage in any sexual, suggestive, lewd, lascivious, or otherwise inappropriate conduct with minors on the Service;

everyone argrees with that

the rest go on to list not to interupt other peoples online services or stop them playing in any way

On 2/13/2021 at 1:35 AM, Rowan Amore said:

Ignorance of the law is never an excuse.  No where does it say anyone has to READ your profile.  Therefore, even if it were allowed and those moronic statements were legal, it still would not be INFORMED CONSENT.  

However, I do love when I read that in someone's profile as it tells me who to avoid.  I prefer intelligent people.

You would be one to avoid.

In part you are correct, no where does it say your profile has to be read,in that you are right , but it does say you can copy / paste for protection ( which i take to mean to dispute lies told about you/slander, and i have copy pasted a few times to prove what the other person said and that they were lying) but community guidlines does say if it is in your profile that you copy paste conversations it is the same as T.O.S  i forget the exact wording  but words to that effect,which means weather or not it is read it is allowed

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It makes no difference what anyone puts in their profile. 

Copying IMs and pasting them into anything in SL except an AR or Support ticket is against the TOS.

PERIOD.  DOUBLE-STOP.

on no,there useing capital letters i must be wrong then

You are all wrong because it says in the TOS  that  for " Protection" and  reporting to Linden Labs" copy pasteing is allowed,  though what they term " protection" is unclear   i have read the TOS  and it states that haveing that you copy paste conversations on your profile informing everyone that you do so before they message you weather they read the message on your profile or not is the same as not reading TOS  it still counts as being read and allows copy/pasteing and shareing  to be done.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

ehm... no
Users never, NEVER, can change TOS. Those written statements in profiles are nothing than wasting space.

No it's not it's to legally inform you that they do so and even if not read it is like TOS  being ignored and clicked ti get on with the game just because your uninformed or ignorant doesnt make it illegal or wrong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.