Signed out everytime I login

luluferrari

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hoping someone can help me with this problematic issue I keep having. I haven't used Second Life for a few months and I tried to sign into my SL viewer. Everything was working until my avatar started loading. Then it came up with the message: "Darn! You have been logged out of Second Life. This region may be experiencing trouble. Please check your connection to the internet." So i checked the internet which is working properly. I then tried to login to a different destination/region, still didn't work. I then uninstalled SL viewer and reinstalled it, still doesn't work. Am I just being stupid or something? Please help! 

18 minutes ago, luluferrari said:

Hoping someone can help me with this problematic issue I keep having. I haven't used Second Life for a few months and I tried to sign into my SL viewer. Everything was working until my avatar started loading. Then it came up with the message: "Darn! You have been logged out of Second Life. This region may be experiencing trouble. Please check your connection to the internet." So i checked the internet which is working properly. I then tried to login to a different destination/region, still didn't work. I then uninstalled SL viewer and reinstalled it, still doesn't work. Am I just being stupid or something? Please help! 

Since I can't remember what might cause that exact message:  Even though your internet seems fine, I'd recommend a reboot to the modem and router.  Since you have tried multiple regions, that would indicate it is not due to an actual region down problem

Do you have an alt / second account?  If so, try logging that account in and see what happens.  If not, you might want to create one for testing.  

Another possibility, if the alt can log in and you cannot, is too flat of an inventory -- i.e. too many items at a single level rather than within nested sub-folders. I can't remember if this message is the result of the inventory issue or not.  If that is a possibility with your inventory, you would need to submit a Support ticket and have LL check / correct the 'flat inventory' problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Since I can't remember what might cause that exact message:  Even though your internet seems fine, I'd recommend a reboot to the modem and router.  Since you have tried multiple regions, that would indicate it is not due to an actual region down problem

Do you have an alt / second account?  If so, try logging that account in and see what happens.  If not, you might want to create one for testing.  

Another possibility, if the alt can log in and you cannot, is too flat of an inventory -- i.e. too many items at a single level rather than within nested sub-folders. I can't remember if this message is the result of the inventory issue or not.  If that is a possibility with your inventory, you would need to submit a Support ticket and have LL check / correct the 'flat inventory' problem.

Thank you for the advice. And I never even thought of trying to set up another account to see if it works. Will give it a bash! 😊

On 2/16/2019 at 12:46 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

That sounds like a Catch-22 -- one can't log in because of a flat inventory and one can't deal with the inventory until logged in. 😕

Do you know of any way to perform inventory management other than through a viewer? What do you expect LL will do to "check / correct the 'flat inventory' problem"?

BTW, I do have this problem with both LL viewer and Firestorm and, yes, it does not happen for alts with smaller (not necessarily more structured) inventories. The problem alt has an inventory of ~17K items.

1 hour ago, OtherPlaneDweller said:

What do you expect LL will do to "check / correct the 'flat inventory' problem"?

The fact you said you are able to log in and then being disconnected indicates its not an inventory issue as that would usually prevent you from logging in at all. 

Are you logging the alts into the same region as the problem avi?

Have you tried logging in the problem avi to another region? If not. then type in Hippo Hollow into the location at the log in screen and try again.

Do you keep notifications clean? When you get the disconnection window pop up, instead of clicking on quit, select the option to view IM's and then right click and delete all on the notifications icon to make sure. Then quit and log back in.

If you still think you have an inventory issue which with 17k it would be unlikely unless you've dumped everything into the one single folder then yes LL will look into it for you. Just file a ticket and ask them to check. If they think it needs to be de-flattened they basically take your inventory and split it up into multiple folders from what i recall

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comprehensive debugging checklist.

>> Are you logging the alts into the same region as the problem avi?

Yes

>> Have you tried logging in the problem avi to another region?

Yes. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Caledon Oxbridge is a bit more stable. Will try Hippo Hollow, if only for the whimsy of the name. I note that my home region is running a newer simulator version than Caledon Oxbridge.

>> Second Life: The region you have entered is running a different simulator version.
>> Current simulator: Second Life RC Magnum 19.02.11.524360
>> Previous simulator: Second Life Server 19.01.25.523656

I am very diligent in cleaning up notifications; don't think that is where the problem lies.

I have built hierarchical data structures since before Windows (3.1). My inventory is highly structured, with five layers or more of folders, to permit easy location of specific items. For example, Clothing > Tops > {Classic|Mesh} > Vendor > Item Name > Item Instance.

I've deleted 1K items this morning and will be cleaning up my Clothing folder the rest of the day, I expect. ;)

A quick way to tell if your inventory structure is too "flat" & causing login to time out is to launch the viewer to the login screen & clear the viewer cache via Preferences.
Then relaunch the viewer & see if you login normally & if login time is noticeably faster & you don't get disconnected shortly after login.

You can also check the viewer log folder for a session where you got disconnected.
Search for the term "Creating Inventory Views"

Look at the time between these 2 lines.
2019-02-18T15:55:02Z INFO #  newview/llstartup.cpp(2577) idle_startup : Creating Inventory Views
2019-02-18T15:55:08Z INFO #AppInit#  newview/llstartup.cpp(3688) LLStartUp::setStartupState : Startup state changing from STATE_INVENTORY_SEND to STATE_MIS

In my case, inventory views took 6 seconds to create, which is ok for a 150k inventory  :D
I had to have my inventory deflattened by LL support. Before that was done my inventory views would take 20-30 seconds & I was at a risk of login timeout.

Inventory views are loaded from the viewer inventory cache.
With a clean cache, creating inventory views should be instant.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, OtherPlaneDweller said:

What do you expect LL will do to "check / correct the 'flat inventory' problem"?

LL has a script they run on the back end that does something to fix the issue.  I've never had that problem, but I imagine the script probably counts of items in folders and it it encounters more than some number, it creates sub-folders and moves items into them. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

LL has a script they run on the back end that does something to fix the issue.  I've never had that problem, but I imagine the script probably counts of items in folders and it it encounters more than some number, it creates sub-folders and moves items into them. 

I am afraid of that! I work diligently to structure my inventory. The last thing I need is a brainless algorithm to go into my data hierarchy and parse it mindlessly. I seem to have had some success at manually restructuring (I'm able to occupy previously inaccessible locations), so I will continue to deal with this issue from the client end. It would seem that the complexity of the target location is a factor. The relatively unoccupied "Hippo Hollow" worked very smoothly. I suspect there is also some sort of interaction among the target simulators and the viewer agents (I use the most recent versions of LL and Firestorm). The stalling problem generally appears about when the location sound comes on during login. It has also happened when transferring from one location (e.g., Hippo Hollow) to another (e.g., my SL Premium home; exasperating, that!).

I'm a computer geek from when I first coded Hammurabi in GBasic on a gov't mainframe (the Altair 8800 was state-of-the-art hobbiest gear). This sort of IO lock-up was addressed four decades ago! Why can't LL Servers, LL Viewers, and Firefox TNG get together and sort out this mess? (Rhetorical question - no response expected.)

Sorry, just needed to vent and can't afford a new keyboard, monitor, and home-office window at the moment.

6 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Try Radegast, which is a limited-graphics viewer that still allows chat and inventory work. If you are able to login with that and stay logged in then you have a chance to sort your inventory out as you see fit.

That definitely seems like something I could use. I installed it, but it seems to be invisible. Do I need to start in with something like a (root) command line in a text box? (BTW, 2017 last update appears to be a bit antiquated. )

Edited by OtherPlaneDweller
After thoughts.

On 2/16/2019 at 1:22 PM, luluferrari said:

Darn! You have been logged out of Second Life. This region may be experiencing trouble. Please check your connection to the internet

That message usually means that the server is not getting messages from your viewer reliably (too many lost).  Check any firewall on your system, and reboot your router and cable or dsl modem (usually it's best to turn both off, turn on the modem and wait for it to come up to normal lights, then turn on your router).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Oz Linden said:

That message usually means that the server is not getting messages from your viewer reliably (too many lost).  Check any firewall on your system, and reboot your router and cable or dsl modem (usually it's best to turn both off, turn on the modem and wait for it to come up to normal lights, then turn on your router).

I've tried all of that, to no effect. Do you know of any reliable recommendations for firewall and router settings?

Correcting brain-fart.

2 hours ago, OtherPlaneDweller said:

I've tried all of that, to know effect. Do you know of any reliable recommendations for firewall and router settings?

Are you running wireless?  If so, have you tried wired for comparison - if that is an option? 

When you can get logged in, bring up the statistics monitor (Ctrl+Shift+1).  Keep an eye on the Packet Loss and Ping Sim values.  My guess is that you will see one or both of those values spike just before you get disconnected.  Report back what sort of values you see.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2019 at 8:26 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Are you running wireless?  If so, have you tried wired for comparison - if that is an option? 

When you can get logged in, bring up the statistics monitor (Ctrl+Shift+1).  Keep an eye on the Packet Loss and Ping Sim values.  My guess is that you will see one or both of those values spike just before you get disconnected.  Report back what sort of values you see.

Running wired on Xfinity cable. Speed test: 94.6 Mbps download, 11.8 Mbps upload, 10 ms latency. Internal network is gigabit on Cat 6 wiring. Will report back later with statistics monitor info.

11 hours ago, OtherPlaneDweller said:

Running wired on Xfinity cable. Speed test: 94.6 Mbps download, 11.8 Mbps upload, 10 ms latency. Internal network is gigabit on Cat 6 wiring. Will report back later with statistics monitor info.

I wouldn't expect any issues based on that unless your connection to SL is getting routed through some location that is causing an problem.  I'd skim this article and do any debugging that is mentioned that you haven't done -- especially trying a traceroute or such from your location to the LL server location.
blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2019 at 5:53 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'd skim this article and do any debugging that is mentioned that you haven't done -- especially trying a traceroute or such from your location to the LL server location.
blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Thanks for the link to that resource! It should give me many hours of entertainment! ;)

In the mean time, I've encountered an in-world location monitor that advised me that my AVI was presenting a significant performance impact. With some investigation, I determined that my hair (!) was requiring a 10K script support. Now, I'm a responsible Netizen, so this left me chagrined. I set up the hair prim to my best adaption and removed the scripts (via the provided HUD). Since then, knock on a wood texture, I've not had problems.  Is it plausible that a +10K script load (over the ~3K load my presences presented after clean-up) could shut down a login as just the sound was coming on?

But, as a Cyber denizen, I enjoy the challenges!

P.S., appreciate the unexplicated reference to 'traceroute'! ;)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.