Do I need a better video card?

Melody Frostwych

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The lag is ruining my enjoyment of the sim.  I have an NVidia 8500GT video card in a machine that has 4Gb of RAM and a 2.4 Ghz CPU.  My connection is broadband through Comcast, and I think it's probably on the low end as far as that speed goes.

Should I get a better video card? What's the best thing to do to reduce lag?

Thanks,

Melody

Although not being very knowledgeable on this, a newer higher end (professional gamer) video card will help, but these can be a little expensive for the best types, also as fast as possible internet connection definatly will help in loading times of sims, and on older cards, reducing the graphic quality in the actual browser can help..

but the machine itself sounds fine to me, actually...

I have played SL with your configuration; on a MacBook Pro.   I never had any issues with the 8500GT; ran at 'high' not ultra.  At times when I did run under ultra the graphics were very good, but generated too much heat: more of a HW Laptop issue.  it is not the greatest card, but it is far from the worst.  

SL is designed to get the most it can out of whatever the best possible gear happens to be this week.

Most people do not have the best. That's why we have settings we can adjust to reduce lag on our individual viewers.

Don't be afraid to scale back on data that you don't really use very much; even if it doesn't kill the lag, it may be enable you to scale up on something else of which you want more. And you can always go back to default settings.

I also do things in-world to improve viewer function. For example, I use the corners of public sandboxes which immediately abut the ocean, and I'll sometimes put up a wall or get inside of an elevated box if there's stuff happening that looks like it's not helping me.

I would have to say that if you stand still for a while until all the textures download (press ctrl-shift-3 to see the texture info display) and if you are still slow, I'd get a new card. But if things get faster after all the textures load, I'd think your card can handle the rendering and you can look into speeding up your internet connection to make textures load faster. My lag drops quite a bit if I wait for everything to load.

My experience with hardware upgrades has been disappointing.  For a long time I played SL using a computer with a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, and an 8800 GTX graphics card, connecting vis 6 Mbps DSL.  I often had a LOT of lag, and when I teleport to a new place, things were very slow to rez.

During the past year, I got the following upgrades (in the order listed) with the effects as noted:

8 GB RAM - no discernable change

GTX 470 - discernable, but not dramatic, improvement

3.0 GHz Core 2 Quad - no discernable change

18 Mbps connection - no discernable change

Since, before the upgrades, my system was similar to yours, except for the graphics card, I saw improvement when upgrading from a graphics card that was better than yours is, and I saw no inprovement with the other upgrades, I would expect you to see improvement with a graphics card upgrade.  However, I am not really knowledgeable about these things, so my opinion might not be worth much.  UIt seems to me that most of the limitation that causes lag must be on the LL end, since upgrading most critical parts of my system made little difference.  

Hi Melody

By the looks of it, upgrading the card would only give you less lag client side. Everything will run at the speed of the slowest part, in this case it looks like your internet so I'd say upgrade the internet plan. 4gb of ram and a 8500GT is ample for running SL.

Hope this helps.

Chris

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.