Linked Attachments

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I like creating my own sets of earrings, but I'd like to significantly reduce the number of attached items from individuals to being a single set of one attachment.

Is this possible?

I have bought toenails which come in linked sets which can be un-linked in order to adjust a single nail if one protrudes through certain shoes etc.

How do I accomplish creating a linked set, please?

Here is an example of 4 separate studs/earrings which I'd like to become one single attachment, rather than 4 >

linked.png.81ba847ad92b330d1e62d24215319231.png

If they are mod, you should be able to rez them out, link them and then wear them as you normally would. The new link set will be whatever the root prim was when you linked them (so, for example, it might be the name of one of the earrings), but with it being mod you can always rename. You may need to adjust once they are in place, but it should work just peachy. If they're mod/copy, even better, you can arrange them different ways if you'd like, or wear only certain ones, etc. as you please. 

• Like 3

just something to think about when you do this, : keep copies of the original items if possible.
If you ever want to unlink this, and the objects are made of several elements you'll end with a deconstructed pile of little objects, not the original ones  ?

18 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

If they are mod, you should be able to rez them out, link them and then wear them as you normally would. The new link set will be whatever the root prim was when you linked them (so, for example, it might be the name of one of the earrings), but with it being mod you can always rename. You may need to adjust once they are in place, but it should work just peachy. If they're mod/copy, even better, you can arrange them different ways if you'd like, or wear only certain ones, etc. as you please. 

Yes, I would rez the ear, and the earrings, make sure the position is correct, then remove the ears, and link the rings... Keep copies as Ethan says, and dont forget you can link both left and right earrings :)

Thanks, Tari, I've done it now but I can already imagine tinkering and adding. This will save me lots of attachment slots :)

When I was editing the final positions it became very difficult and fiddly to select particular parts for editing as they were situated so closely together.

Instead of using the mouse, is there a method of rotating through the linked items using the keyboard, or some other method of selection? 

I found this old thread with a keyboard method...

I would also recommend using the camera zoom in function "ctrl-0" to get close enough where the earring appear large and become easily selected. "ctrl-9" to reset the camera. Also, If you ever try linking earrings on both your ears, the new 'center' of your combined earring will be inside your head and may cause all sorts of confusion when you try moving things. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2018 at 12:24 PM, Bree Giffen said:

I found this old thread with a keyboard method...

Thank you. There was a useful post or two in that 7 year old thread. Some information never gets old.

I've been wearing the finished article for several days already, but some useful extra info for next time.

Edited by Candice LittleBoots

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.