Buying L then making a purchase on the MP, or using paypal?

Sorciaa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Absolutely better to buy L$ first.  Every time you buy L$, you pay a purchase fee of $1.49, no matter how large or small the transaction is. (see https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/describe-transaction-fees.php) .  So, if you are buying something in Marketplace that costs L$500 (about $2.00), you are paying an extra 75% of the purchase price for the L$ themselves.  If you buy L$10,000, however, you still pay a $1.49 fee, but that's only 3.75% of the cost of the L$.  Buying small amounts of L$ just doesn't make good financial sense.

5 minutes ago, Sorciaa said:

Which is better over all? I was told that its better to just buy L then buy off the MP rather then just using paypal, what is more advisable?

Really depends on the cost of the item, and how often you buy things. 

Something that costs L$299 will cost US$1.88 on paypal vs. US$1.14 via lindex (if you buy L$6000 batches. The fees mean if you bought only L$299 on the lindex, then it would cost US$3.02)

If you buy only small things rarely, paypal is cheaper. Any more then about L$2000 (US$9.16) and the Lindex will be cheaper.

21 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Are you sure? Looking suggests it's $0.60 still

d18180f53340126592fd8b64bcfe5910.png.6d0b277254c154ef70e6de0c7aed9a62.png

Oh wow - it looks like they have dropped the currency fee for MP only (I'm pretty sure I saw it higher at one time).  I wonder if that was intentional or accidental from some of the recent changes they made.   

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

Wow, I am astonished as much as Lil.  When I first saw Callum's post, I thought the $0.60 must be a fee for converting between RL currencies, like pounds to dollars.  But I signed into the MP and tried a PayPal purchase myself, and got the same $0.60 charge.

It's still better to buy your $L in large chunks and pay for your MP purchases with $L, though!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.